| FTBL Shula's ghost

Ummmm, rammerjammer. I've got my hand up but am almost afraid to say my comment. :wink:

I don't agree with the 1st and 2nd down calls down near the goal line. I just don't. I don't know what they saw that I didn't, but Grant up the middle two straight times doesn't work. I'd be willing to even give a pass on the 1st down call but not the 2nd down.

Do we not have a fullback? What about Huber in that situation? What about Grant wide like at Ole Miss during a similar situation? We all know he is better running wide. I'm not trying to be a troublemaker, and I know everything will be alright eventually.

I just don't get the two runs up the middle with the same personnel both times. :?

BamaDelta said:
Do we not have a fullback? What about Huber in that situation? What about Grant wide like at Ole Miss during a similar situation? We all know he is better running wide.

Impressive post. If only my wife knew football in this much detail! ;sal

BamaDelta said:
I don't agree with the 1st and 2nd down calls down near the goal line. I just don't. I don't know what they saw that I didn't, but Grant up the middle two straight times doesn't work. I'd be willing to even give a pass on the 1st down call but not the 2nd down.

Do we not have a fullback? What about Huber in that situation? What about Grant wide like at Ole Miss during a similar situation? We all know he is better running wide. I'm not trying to be a troublemaker, and I know everything will be alright eventually.

I just don't get the two runs up the middle with the same personnel both times. :?

Throw Jimmy Johns' name into the fray, too.

Either way, we ran the dreaded jumbo package again today. At least last year we were running it with a power runner in Castille.

Yes, our offense was pretty bad today, but can we keep all this in perspective?

As inconsistent as the offense has been, compared to last year we are a much better team (offensively). Right now, with all the suspensions and injuries, the offensive line is so depleted that we're having to shuffle players all over the line. Wilson deserves his share of criticism, but everything begins and ends up front.

Last year when we got behind, we knew it was over. This year, including this game, I felt we were going to come back and win. The mindset of this team is totally different, and that in itself should be enough to make most folks reconsider running down the coaching staff.

Fellas, we've laughed at the Barners and some other messages boards that went into meltdown when they lost a game like this. Wonder if they're over there laughing at us. Just sayin'. :roll:

Calling a double reverse, Statue of Liberty, Hook-n-Ladder, triple Lindy from the 3 yard line is not where we want to be. Every team in America can hand it to their fastest guy and sprint toward the sideline. Trick plays and sideline sprints are always an option, but you need more. If your team can't man up and pound it down the other team's belly you will lose more goal line situations than you win.

When do we become masters of bounding it in against good teams when it matters? Against ULM one week from the end of the season? No. At some point you just have to do it when it counts. If you don't execute, you fail, people notice, and the game counts.

The lack of the Triple Lindy was not the issue with our Red Zone failures last year. It was the lack of the ability to walk up to the line, tell the guy across from you that you're running the ball right over him, and then doing it.

LBS said:
Calling a double reverse, Statue of Liberty, Hook-n-Ladder, triple Lindy from the 3 yard line is not where we want to be. Every team in America can hand it to their fastest guy and sprint toward the sideline. Trick plays and sideline sprints are always an option, but you need more. If your team can't man up and pound it down the other team's belly you will lose more goal line situations than you win.

When do we become masters of bounding it in against good teams when it matters? Against ULM one week from the end of the season? No. At some point you just have to do it when it counts. If you don't execute, you fail, people notice, and the game counts.

The lack of the Triple Lindy was not the issue with our Red Zone failures last year. It was the lack of the ability to walk up to the line, tell the guy across from you that you're running the ball right over him, and then doing it.

i agree with your point that good teams are able to pound it for 1 or 2 yards when necessary, BUT a good staff knows its players inside and out, their strengths and weaknesses, and recognizes and adapts to the flow of a game.

the stubborness demonstrated on that critical TD drive was classic Shula - well it didn't work the first time, so let's try it again. why Saban and Co. put that touchdown in the hands of our suspect OL when we've not been able to run it consistently up the middle on anyone since the suspensions, is beyond my understanding. did you like the way we beat Miss, Tenn, and almost beat LSU??? because we were missing two OL starters in that game too, and responded accordingly by reducing the number of rushes up the middle, recognizing our reduced push off the line of scrimmage.

a good coach takes what he has to work with and produces results. schools like Boise St. uses the caliber of players they can recruit to the fullest by designing schemes that accommodate the personel. i couldn't have cared less how we got the ball in the endzone against MSU so long as we did it. i don't mind failure either, so long as the strategy is sound and adequately creative relative to your personel.

again, i find it difficult to understand the strategy of using a small, fast RB up the middle behind a shuffled OL missing two starters against a respectable defense for two consecutive plays when a touchdown in this type of game at that particular time (right before halftime) would have been a huge advantage.

more options come to mind: if you're determined to use Grant up the middle after the first failed attempt, then tell him to dive over the line of scrimmage. if you are determined to use Grant then run a toss sweep and let Grant use his greatest attribute, his speed, to outrun MSU to the pylon for that crucial yard or two. there is nothing to be ashamed about by maximizing red zone opportunities when not able to use hosses like Caldwell, Davis, and Coffee.

musso said:
LBS said:

i agree with your point that good teams are able to pound it for 1 or 2 yards when necessary, BUT a good staff knows its players inside and out, their strengths and weaknesses, and recognizes and adapts to the flow of a game.

the stubborness demonstrated on that critical TD drive was classic Shula - well it didn't work the first time, so let's try it again. why Saban and Co. put that touchdown in the hands of our suspect OL when we've not been able to run it consistently up the middle on anyone since the suspensions, is beyond my understanding. did you like the way we beat Miss, Tenn, and almost beat LSU??? because we were missing two OL starters in that game too, and responded accordingly by reducing the number of rushes up the middle, recognizing our reduced push off the line of scrimmage.

a good coach takes what he has to work with and produces results. schools like Boise St. uses the caliber of players they can recruit to the fullest by designing schemes that accommodate the personel. i couldn't have cared less how we got the ball in the endzone against MSU so long as we did it. i don't mind failure either, so long as the strategy is sound and adequately creative relative to your personel.

again, i find it difficult to understand the strategy of using a small, fast RB up the middle behind a shuffled OL missing two starters against a respectable defense for two consecutive plays when a touchdown in this type of game at that particular time (right before halftime) would have been a huge advantage.

more options come to mind: if you're determined to use Grant up the middle after the first failed attempt, then tell him to dive over the line of scrimmage. if you are determined to use Grant then run a toss sweep and let Grant use his greatest attribute, his speed, to outrun MSU to the pylon for that crucial yard or two. there is nothing to be ashamed about by maximizing red zone opportunities when not able to use hosses like Caldwell, Davis, and Coffee.

Doing that doesnt create a good identity for this team. A GOOD team gets those yards when it counts, even if we go outside (which noone knows if that wouldve worked)
, it just tells people we can't be a physical enough team to beat our opponents. Being a finesse team doesnt work for long against SEC deffenses, and so the game is being played today like he intends for it to be played in the future, and sends a message to the team that that is how we are going to play from now on.

Now, I thinkk the goal at Alabama is a NC. Well, a loss yesterday didnt hurt that goal. So Id say spend the rest of the year building the identity, until it gets in these kids head. Theyve been through the fourth quarter program, they are strong enough to do it.

Also I saw you mention the highest paid staff and things. The players arent seeing a cent of that money so you should probably give them longer than 10 or less months to work with the players.

But you know, even in the NFL and MLB there are rebuilding years. This staff is going to make this team play the way they want them to (and gradually they will improve), and I am all for that.

Also, the recruiting classes should GREATLY contribute to that goal.

EDIT : Finally, our good coach is turning a finnesse team into a physical one, using nonphysical means to win as of now doesnt serve to reinforce that point.

"We are gonna have a good team, and we're gonna have a good program."

musso said:

Let's see, the players weren't suspended until after the Ole Miss game so that is just wrong, but good try.

In the UT game, we had 46 passing attempts and 38 rushing attempts with 147 rushing yards. I don't have the stats for runs up the middle (if they even keep that), but I don't remember running outside all afternoon. If you've got the stats, let's see them.

The LSU game you ask?

33 rushing attempts for 20 yards. Doesn't look like we adjusted anything to almost beat them like you claim. Looks like sheer play-calling consistency from game to game to me.

I guess you also missed the fact that we were gaining more yards per rushing attempt than we were per passing attempt in the MSU game too, huh? The only difference is change in execution and change in opposing talent - not play-calling as you suggest.

If anything is maddening, it is your attempt at argument.

So let me get this straight: you're comparing a team that has had nearly the same coach and system in place for 6 years and had all that time to recruit players for their system with a team that has a first year staff with a totally new system and lack of depth and great talent at almost every position? Chris Petersen took over a team in 2005 that went 11-1 the previous season. "Nick Saban & Co." took over a team that went 6-7 the previous season.

Again, nice try but no cigar.

Alright, so you don't understand the strategy. I'll give you that.

Thankfully, that is why you're sitting at home and the University of Alabama is paying "Coach Nick Saban & Co" millions of dollars to get this program back where it belongs.

Did anyone actually expect us to not get upset at least once this season? :roll:

It happens, we played poorly...we must move on and look ahead.

Back
Top Bottom