Argo

CONFERENCE W-L --- OVERALL W-L
1. Alabama - 7-0 --- 11-0
2. Mississippi - 4-3 --- 7-4
3. LSU - 3-4 --- 7-4
4. Auburn - 2-5 --- 5-6
5. Mississippi State - 2-5 --- 4-7
6. Arkansas - 1-6 --- 4-7

I was going to hold off until next week to post this, but since the west standings are official regardless of the last games, answer the following questions.

1. Who is the biggest surprise?
2. What game's result surprised you the most?
3. Between Auburn and LSU, which team surprised you the most by their conference record?

Also, post any other thoughts you have on how the 2008 season has progressed.

I've got something I'm putting together for the blog that covers some of this.

Great question!

I thought during the pre-season that Auburn would end up 4-4 in conference play. 2-5 shocks me. Based on that in a way, Arkansas (I didn't think the 'Backs would win a conference game this year) beating Auburn was a shock. Vandy doing the same in the same year: amazing.

Biggest surprise, to me, is to be sitting here undefeated and a lock to go to ATL before we played MSU and Auburn.

Ole Miss is surprising to me. I knew they would be good enough to win some games, but I didn't think they would finish 2nd in the west.

I haven't read any LSU boards. I wonder how they feel about their season?

Wow, good food for thought.

1. Who is the biggest surprise?
Honestly, besides Alabama, it would be Ole Miss to me. I didn't expect them to end up second in the west at all.

2. What game's result surprised you the most?
Arkansas beating Auburn. I honestly thought Arkansas wouldn't get a win this year in SEC play.

3. Between Auburn and LSU, which team surprised you the most by their conference record?
LSU definitely. I had already written Auburn off at the beginning of the year as a team who was going to have a LOT of growing pains before they sniffed the SEC West title.

Argo said:
Ole Miss is surprising to me. I knew they would be good enough to win some games, but I didn't think they would finish 2nd in the west.

Bout how people expected it to go -- record wise anyways. Nobody expected the defense to play this poorly. Most people thought UGA and UF were losses and then there were a few toss ups.

I think that people expected the defense to be way better...which would allow us to be more conservative on offense so we can hide the QB. Thats about the only eye opener.

TigerBait3 said:
Argo said:

Bout how people expected it to go -- record wise anyways. Nobody expected the defense to play this poorly. Most people thought UGA and UF were losses and then there were a few toss ups.

I think that people expected the defense to be way better...which would allow us to be more conservative on offense so we can hide the QB. Thats about the only eye opener.

There's the one subject I would bring up if I talked with someone like Gary Danielson (on purpose mind you) about his comments regarding the LSU season.

One thought that crossed my mind yesterday afternoon is Ryan Perriloux didn't have a thing to do with Ole Miss scoring 31.

BTW, heard how bad Lee's ankle injury looks?

TerryP said:
One thought that crossed my mind yesterday afternoon is Ryan Perriloux didn't have a thing to do with Ole Miss scoring 31.
I think playing with a lead every once in a while would have made a difference. The one game that the crowd was in the game was the Bama game and it fired the defense up. He certainly would have helped mentally -- along with the aforementioned points about t.o.p. that would limit possessions for the other offense and allow the defense to rest.

Sprained, day to day. Clair said he might miss a practice or two which could cost him the starting spot.

reger60 said:
TigerBait3 said:
TerryP said:
Sprained, day to day. Clair said he might miss a practice or two which could cost him the starting spot.

You would think all of those interceptions would have cost him the starting spot. :shock:
Normally he would be gone, but you have to remember the starter is out for the year and the third string QB is a true freshman that knows 3 plays. Jefferson, the 3rd string QB has been getting more playing time and I think Miles now feels more comfortable with him.

TigerBait3 said:
TerryP said:
I think playing with a lead every once in a while would have made a difference. The one game that the crowd was in the game was the Bama game and it fired the defense up. He certainly would have helped mentally -- along with the aforementioned points about t.o.p. that would limit possessions for the other offense and allow the defense to rest.

Wow. From the looks of it on TV it looked like it very well could have been a high ankle sprain.

Solid observations on what may have been different with RP. I wouldn't have had as much faith in him as I would have had in Flynn last year.

My biggest surprise of the season is NOT how Ole Miss or Alabama is doing. I'm pleasantly surprised we are 11-0, but I expected a much better season, as many of you did. Anything better than 8-4 was going to be a success in my eyes, if that 8 wins included a win over Auburn. So, mission not accomplished, yet.......

Ole MIss is not surprising to me at all because it was always a matter of numbers. Arkansas was going to be WAAAAYYYY down this year, no way LSU was going to lose only 2 games this year and repeat. Miss State was going to suck as we all knew, and that only leaves Mississippi and Auburn. Auburn should not be as bad as they are, but they have lost some close games. Their record is very telling as to how dysfunctional their offense is, but their defense IS better than they indicate. Therefore, by the numbers, Ole Miss is sitting #2 in the west.

I really think that Houston Nutt will have them perenially no worse than 4th in the division, and no better than 2nd. Similar to Arkansas. With Nutt, it really IS about the coach.

Back
Top Bottom