| MBB/WBB SEC / Big 12 Challenge: Alabama vs Oklahoma ~ 11 AM CT on ESPN.

Not going to win very many games with a 38% FG and 35% 3’s. The Oats offense is great when the 3’s are falling and opens up the lane for lay ups and vice versa. Come tournament time one bad game and you go home

This team was picked to finish 5th in the SEC. At this point they are 14-4 and in 1st place by 3 games. So I don't get the pessimism. Going into today's game there were 10 games left as I looked at the remaining schedule last night realistically I could see this team finishing 6-4 and we got one of those loses today.
Consider myself cautiously optimistic...haven't had a reason to be even that about our basketball since the late 80's. But in all fairness to this years team, years past the score would have been more like 66 - 45.😁

Knew better than to visit this thread until I got myself aligned 😂🤣. It’s basketball gents. They ain’t gonna win every game. This one woulda been tough sans beat up sick folks and liquored up refs

doesn’t hurt them one lick and actually will count as a positive albeit less so than a win come selection time

Knew better than to visit this thread until I got myself aligned 😂🤣. It’s basketball gents. They ain’t gonna win every game. This one woulda been tough sans beat up sick folks and liquored up refs

doesn’t hurt them one lick and actually will count as a positive albeit less so than a win come selection time
Agree my bigger concern is this is 3 games in a row that have been a struggle especially offensively. Fortunately because of their defense they are 2-1 in those games but they still need to get the stroke dialed back in. These opponents are going to guard the 3 pointer especially after the LSU game.

" refs"......one reason I don’t watch round ball ( did yesterday...I know) until tournament....the home court crap and refs playing upto crowd is ridiculous...
But even at that...and there was a lot of homecooking for OU...

the inability to make baskets around the hoop is unbelievable... easy shots...
The lost art of using the backboard....
Bama missed maybe 6-8-10 shots....at the rim

" refs"......one reason I don’t watch round ball ( did yesterday...I know) until tournament....the home court crap and refs playing upto crowd is ridiculous...
But even at that...and there was a lot of homecooking for OU...

the inability to make baskets around the hoop is unbelievable... easy shots...
The lost art of using the backboard....
Bama missed maybe 6-8-10 shots....at the rim

As noted above in a couple of posts, teams know we shoot 3's and drive. I agree that it's a disadvantage in some aspects - from the soccer standpoint, teams know we're going to attempt kicks from the center circle or we're going to attempt headers from the goal area. The last several games, teams have extended their D beyond the arc to keep our players from being set and having good looks. When we do drive, players don't have to keep themselves gathered to be ready to guard the midrange pull-up. They just have to measure up and get to the rim.

RTR,

Tim

As noted above in a couple of posts, teams know we shoot 3's and drive. I agree that it's a disadvantage in some aspects - from the soccer standpoint, teams know we're going to attempt kicks from the center circle or we're going to attempt headers from the goal area. The last several games, teams have extended their D beyond the arc to keep our players from being set and having good looks. When we do drive, players don't have to keep themselves gathered to be ready to guard the midrange pull-up. They just have to measure up and get to the rim.

RTR,

Tim
How well the team does going forward is going to come down to how adaptable the offense is because the defenses have adjusted. So now what? Do we have the skills needed to adjust and find other ways to score? So far the defenses have proven if you defend the 3 you keep Bama's scoring in check. Can Oats find ways to move the ball and move w/o the ball to free people up so they can still launch the 3 or are there other elements to his offense that we have the players to execute? It is on Oats now to make the adjustment. If you are supposedly a high seed that is what you should be able to do. Honestly I think all this top seed or 2 seed is very premature talk.

With all that said if we can get a few players healed up it will help. Also need that player when things break down or the opponents defend well we can still break down the D and get points or get fouled. This is where Quinerly I think has to step up. This is also where we miss Kira and Sexton like players.

RTR,

Tim
But when they get to the rim... you gotta maje the easy shot....
Need to take. A Bill Walton video and make it mandatory watching...

It has been a great year so far but we're about to learn a lot about this team in these next 4-5 weeks. Lets hope for the best. Getting into the Sweet 16 is a big deal. I tend not to dream past that point.
The advantage this team has is...they play D....
Even when shots aren’t falling...they will still be in the games..
Basics of winning bball...
..make free throws
..rebound on both glasses
..Make the easy shots..
..make ur opponent take work hard...no easy baskets

With regards to D the team is much better and having depth has helped them sustain that game after game and late in games. In Oats post game press conference, he said something to the effect that the effort was not what it needed to be especially on the boards. That and missed layups kind of doomed them. We need Bruner back and a healthy Jones to help in this area.

Just chiming back in. Rebounding/missing rebounds drives me absolutely nuts. Shooting can be off for many reasons. Lack of rebounding speaks solely to poor technique and lack of aggressive desire. I had much rather see a player commit a foul going hard for a rebound than trying to catch up on a shot attempt. You gotta put your ass on them, block out and enforce your will. Good rebounding makes me so happy. Lackadaisical rebound attempts are a deep character flaw IMO

Back
Top Bottom