| FTBL Saban scolds us … again … and with passion.

Davestwin

Coach Saban laid into us Bama fans again tonight on his radio show. There’s a lot of truth in what he said but in my opinion this fan bases’ expectations for excellence have helped Bama to become the only college football program to win NC’s in nine of the last eleven decades. And our passion and unwavering financial support of the university allowed Mal to make him a deal he couldn’t refuse in 2007. Nonetheless, I understand why he said what he said and I accept the chastisement!

Good to see that fire still in his belly. He is not wrong but I also know he never does things without a purpose for his team. Maybe him taking up for them will light a fire under them also. I know the team is working hard but they do need to fix some issues. He can't deny that either.

And as always, the ones that need to hear that message the most will either not understand he's talking to them or they'll know he is and get mad for being called out.

Meh, I think it's Saban's way of letting his team know they won a conference game, but expects more. It's not entitlement to think our defense should be playing better. It's entitlement to get mad we don't win by 50 every game and to lose it over one loss like Texas A&M. I don't consider it an issue when we get mad at losing to Texas A&M the way we did. We don't get beat by other teams, we lose to other teams because we don't play to our ability. No one is perfect, so the loss didn't bother me, but the way we lost irked me. The defense? Yes, we are more than welcome to be upset with that. I don't agree with the negativity towards the offense.

Meh, I think it's Saban's way of letting his team know they won a conference game, but expects more. It's not entitlement to think our defense should be playing better. It's entitlement to get mad we don't win by 50 every game and to lose it over one loss like Texas A&M. I don't consider it an issue when we get mad at losing to Texas A&M the way we did. We don't get beat by other teams, we lose to other teams because we don't play to our ability. No one is perfect, so the loss didn't bother me, but the way we lost irked me. The defense? Yes, we are more than welcome to be upset with that. I don't agree with the negativity towards the offense.
I still think this rant was more for the team. There is certainly some truth in what he is saying.

With that said, CNS (and Bear) set the expectations that the team should play to a standard. The fans are evaluating them based on that standard. CNS knows they have not lived up to the Bama standard. Remember there is no scoreboard, so how they play is what matters. It is nice when Bama wins but I have never been one that was happy when the team played poorly regardless of the outcome. Been that way before Saban came to Tuscaloosa. Is that being an entitled fan? I do not think so I think that is the greatness of Bama football.

As I stated in an earlier post I did like seeing the fire in his belly!!!! I think that has been missing a little bit.

We can agree to disagree on this one. I've seen him go off way too many times on people over the years when they ask something like, "I know we won, but why didn't we play better..." That has always lit his fuse, and I get it. He's so good at what he does that he makes it look easy, but the big reason he's so good at it is because he outworks everyone else. To have folks question your results in the manner that some do, like what UA has done lately isn't good enough? I'd blow up too. The good thing is, I think those folks are a very small minority overall... unfortunately, they are the ones who creep in like cockroaches and get the attention though. Radio caller types.

We can agree to disagree on this one. I've seen him go off way too many times on people over the years when they ask something like, "I know we won, but why didn't we play better..." That has always lit his fuse, and I get it. He's so good at what he does that he makes it look easy, but the big reason he's so good at it is because he outworks everyone else. To have folks question your results in the manner that some do, like what UA has done lately isn't good enough? I'd blow up too. The good thing is, I think those folks are a very small minority overall... unfortunately, they are the ones who creep in like cockroaches and get the attention though. Radio caller types.

Well I totally get that. Some folks just can't leave well enough alone. I was fine with the LSU win. Many expected us to steamroll them, but a lot of us knew they'd throw the kitchen sink at us and we also knew they had a ton of talent. I also said the same about Arkansas. That being said, there is no excuse for the A&M game. There is no reason he should be mad with any fan that had an issue with our performance that night. He wasn't happy, and those that give money to the program have every right to say what they want. With all of this being said, I'm with him in that we are entitled as a whole, hell, we see it on here with comments. It's a no win comment from him though, so I'm surprised he went there.

Well I totally get that. Some folks just can't leave well enough alone. I was fine with the LSU win. Many expected us to steamroll them, but a lot of us knew they'd throw the kitchen sink at us and we also knew they had a ton of talent. I also said the same about Arkansas. That being said, there is no excuse for the A&M game. There is no reason he should be mad with any fan that had an issue with our performance that night. He wasn't happy, and those that give money to the program have every right to say what they want. With all of this being said, I'm with him in that we are entitled as a whole, hell, we see it on here with comments. It's a no win comment from him though, so I'm surprised he went there.

Nothing that hasn't been said a million times already, but there's going to be an awakening of sorts after he heads to the lake for good. Part of me doesn't want to even think about it, because I want this ride to go on forever. Another very small part of me is going to sorta enjoy the rapture that takes place with some in the fan base after we lose by 17 to the Vols soon after and end up in the Vlasic Pickles Bowl in the Alamodome.

Confession: I tend to laugh at some stupid shit. 🤷‍♂️ Literally, I find the oddest things funny...so, you'll understand how this one got me.

There are probably worse ways to start a response. Just assuming here ...
And as always, the ones that need to hear that message the most will either not understand he's talking to them or they'll know he is and get mad for being called out.

Or In-Game thread posters (sky is falling!)..........
My question is how many of those people excel at their job. My guess is they are the employees that are always bitching about something.

I know when you work hard and get positive results and people still arent satisfied...it pisses you off....( been there)

I think he was just pissed off......

But Nick....it aint all of us....we love you and enjoy the results....
And history will look back with positive reviews.....

I wanna beat AU, LSU, Tn by 50+..... but i will take any win over a loss anyday..

I’d say he started out well… but ended it going a bit to far. The reality of life is…you’re not going to please everyone… so it’s good for these kids to learn it.

Now, having said that, I do think fans take it a bit to far. I myself have called out Owens every game calling out Oline putrid. The reality is that Owens my be playing to the top of his potential and those Dline guys are just better.

The reality is we don’t know the real scope of what is going on with the team… but the players need to understand that and NOT put any stock in the opinion of fans that don’t know what they don’t know.

Just keep winning by any amount. Who doesn't love a beat down when you are on the winning side. This team is getting it done. The liquor cost is high but I don't mind that too much. RollllTide!

The reality is CNS has set the bar high.. familiarity breeds contempt. It is human nature to expect something to happen that normally happens! Winning is normal at UA and so going into a game for the last decade I have always anticipated a W, whether by 1 point or 30. I have no problem expecting to win every game and when we dont . I have no problem accepting the loss and moving on. Twenty years ago my expectations were lower so I would go into a season anticipating 9 or 10 wins. "Normal" is fluid and can change quickly, such as it did when CNS took over. So I get what coach is saying but agree with those on here that it probably is directed in a subtle way towards his players. Happy Thanksgiving bama Brothers!

Back
Top Bottom