| FTBL Saban (and Byrne) to take part in NIL Roundtable hosted by Sen. Ted Cruz...

To quote Steve Jobs via Nick Saban "If you want to please everyone, sell ice-cream."
The problem is Most all these kids want MONEY now to play..I said a long time ago that all players should be capped and equal.. and got jumped on for it.. Well guess what?.. Saban is saying that now.. and nothing will change now..This is a completely different sport now..

The problem is Most all these kids want MONEY now to play..I said a long time ago that all players should be capped and equal.. and got jumped on for it.. Well guess what?.. Saban is saying that now.. and nothing will change now..This is a completely different sport now..

I agree on all points. But there are no boundries. Every sport needs SOME form of boundries. Transfer portal & NIL really don't have any boundries. Some folks don't want that. I get that too but this affects more than just football. This situation doesn't live an a vaccuum.

Nick Saban is the most qualified & most available person to guide this issue. Very rarely does those two characteristics every equal the same person.

And what is interesting==> The NIL & Transfer portal hasn't really proven that it has the magic formula to win championships. I personally don't think it ever will, simply because championship teams perform as a team. A culture driven by NIL & the portal are dyametrically oppossed to really good teams. The NFL proves this all the time. So, I wonder how long it will be before college's start saying they are not going to participate in NIL or greatly reduce it or in the very least make sure it is not a caste system.

I agree on all points. But there are no boundries. Every sport needs SOME form of boundries. Transfer portal & NIL really don't have any boundries. Some folks don't want that. I get that too but this affects more than just football. This situation doesn't live an a vaccuum.

Nick Saban is the most qualified & most available person to guide this issue. Very rarely does those two characteristics every equal the same person.

And what is interesting==> The NIL & Transfer portal hasn't really proven that it has the magic formula to win championships. I personally don't think it ever will, simply because championship teams perform as a team. A culture driven by NIL & the portal are dyametrically oppossed to really good teams. The NFL proves this all the time. So, I wonder how long it will be before college's start saying they are not going to participate in NIL or greatly reduce it or in the very least make sure it is not a caste system.
I hope changes are made.. but It’s gonna be very hard..thanks to the courts..
I am now ALL IN on the new staff..the way they are recruiting.. the way they are training and practicing… and the transparency… We are in a new Renaissance..

If Saban would have only listened to YOU back then....SMH.

I hope changes are made.. but It’s gonna be very hard..thanks to the courts..
I am now ALL IN on the new staff..the way they are recruiting.. the way they are training and practicing… and the transparency… We are in a new Renaissance..

It will he hard, but it is the only path. The smart people said from the start that this NIL/Collective stuff was not sustainable without regulation. It's not really a, put the toothpaste back into the tube type situation. It's more, grab the tube back and control how the toothpaste comes out going forward. The SEC and Big Ten are on a path to a breakaway. That breakaway will include a more fair and more regulated NIL model, with the money coming from TV deals, not fans. So, a revenue sharing model basically. NIL will still be allowed on the side for players, but it too will be more structured and regulated. Sankey and Petittie have been working on this, with support of their AD's and school presidents. It won't be easy, but it is the only path to a sustainable future for college football, and what we are seeing now (publicly) is Saban (and a few others) laying the foundation for it. The alternative is watching it slowly die on the vine.

Yep.. why don’t you go back and find where I said it.. then the responses..😉
Just more personal stuff.

It will he hard, but it is the only path. The smart people said from the start that this NIL/Collective stuff was not sustainable without regulation. It's not really a, put the toothpaste back into the tube type situation. It's more, grab the tube back and control how the toothpaste comes out going forward. The SEC and Big Ten are on a path to a breakaway. That breakaway will include a more fair and more regulated NIL model, with the money coming from TV deals, not fans. So, a revenue sharing model basically. NIL will still be allowed on the side for players, but it too will be more structured and regulated. Sankey and Petittie have been working on this, with support of their AD's and school presidents. It won't be easy, but it is the only path to a sustainable future for college football, and what we are seeing now (publicly) is Saban (and a few others) laying the foundation for it. The alternative is watching it slowly die on the vine.
Saban must build a coalition of coaches, ADs and college presidents.. It can’t just good ole Bama here.. Even though that’s all it should take.. a lot of people want to see us go down so bad they won’t just listen to us..

Saban must build a coalition of coaches, ADs and college presidents.. It can’t just good ole Bama here.. Even though that’s all it should take.. a lot of people want to see us go down so bad they won’t just listen to us..

Saban isn't leading the charge, he's in the coalition of coaches, AD's and college presidents. There's a lot going on behind the scenes that I don't think most people are aware of.

I don't really understand your last point or what it has to do with any of it.

Saban isn't leading the charge, he's in the coalition of coaches, AD's and college presidents. There's a lot going on behind the scenes that I don't think most people are aware of.

I don't really understand your last point or what it has to do with any of it.
In a nutshell, it has to be more than Saban because he is very hated..And people think that he is just speaking for OUR team.. Our fans appreciate it for the most part.. but every other fan base is blowing him off..

Saban is a mouthpiece now. He’s retired even though he’s still affiliated with Bama, he’s not our coach. So he’s just saying out loud what the rest of the coaches and ADs want to say but won’t. Because, players want money and if other coaches and ADs of power 5 teams are speaking out against NIL and transfer portal, then Big time players won’t go to that school, thinking they won’t get the payday they think they deserve. So if Saban says it it’s ok. JMO.

In a nutshell, it has to be more than Saban because he is very hated..And people think that he is just speaking for OUR team.. Our fans appreciate it for the most part.. but every other fan base is blowing him off..

He's not nearly as hated as you think, but regardless... the "fans" don't have a seat at this table so it doesn't really matter what they think.

Not being a fan of the current state of college football, I've long felt that players were getting robbed and deserved portions of the value they created for their schools, for video game creators, apparel companies, etc. I also support everything Saban said in DC and prior as these changes unfolded. But to play devil's advocate on this issue, players could reply to Saban by saying coaches have come and go every season, and as a result, hurt player development. Not only that, the more coaches move from one school to the next, the more watered-down their instruction becomes, rendering Saban's whole “football is a developmental sport” argument weak. Saban also mentioned that two NFL coaches have privately told him that the portal and NIL have caused drafted players to arrive less prepared physically and mentally. But to be fair, we could also say if player development suffers from players moving around, then the corollary is that the coaching carousel has harmed player development too. It's hard to fault the kids who say, "F___ it, if I can't rely on the staff to whom I commit to remain there for the 3-5 years of my preparation for the NFL, then I may as well get as much money as I can in tue short term since the NFL is a long shot for everyone anyway. I feel like the universities brought this on themselves by increasing the pressure on coaches to win as football became auxiliary sources of revenue, and as the pressure increased, so did the salaries, so did the firings, and so did coaching mobility, and then the players got left behind as more and more money flooded the profession and athletic department budgets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom