| FTBL Saban adaptation to the modern day spread offense.

JMO but The Ohio State doesn't have to contend with high power spread offenses for the most part unless they're playing someone outside of the Big 10. The athletes (receivers/backs/TE's) are so much more skilled these days which makes the spread even more difficult to slow.

If Nick didn't believe Pete was doing a good job for Bama, then he would have sent him packing a couple of years back.

Uhhhhhh, I don't see the trademark symbol after "The". You'll be hearing from their lawyers.

I believe there needs to be a caveat here.

We saw the transition of Bama's focus on offense start with the hiring of Locks in the spring of 2016: Foster's last season at Bama. The other three were mainstays in the defense, yes, but also in an era where Bama was playing out of their base set the majority of the time because they weren't facing many spread offenses.

2012 was the first season we saw a spread based team on a annual basis when Sumlin took the job in College Station.

I understand the feeling "we haven't seen an Alpha in that position." We also have to acknowledge Donta, Rolando, CJ, and others in that era weren't playing ball in this "modern day spread offensive era."

I get the scheme change has played its part. However, those guys were rarely caught out of position. I do think a lot of that had to do with Kirby & Pruitt being the LB coaches. Both inside LB's rarely made mistakes. It just hasn't been the case yet with Golding coaching those guys. Moses & To'o To'o were good but not great primarily do to nagging injuries & just missing assignments.

I get the scheme change has played its part. However, those guys were rarely caught out of position. I do think a lot of that had to do with Kirby & Pruitt being the LB coaches. Both inside LB's rarely made mistakes. It just hasn't been the case yet with Golding coaching those guys. Moses & To'o To'o were good but not great primarily do to nagging injuries & just missing assignments.
Biggest difference I see with “out of position “ is how often they are now in pass coverage against damn rpo offense. That wasn’t something Ro, Hightower etc had to contend with to the extent the LBs do at this time. JMO

Biggest difference I see with “out of position “ is how often they are now in pass coverage against damn rpo offense. That wasn’t something Ro, Hightower etc had to contend with to the extent the LBs do at this time. JMO

I'v lost track of the missed gap assignments with runs up the middle. Frankly its hit or miss with To'o To'o. Granted it was his first year with us but where is the other player development before he got here? Injuries did play a part but that can't be the fall back.

I have beat this horse to death......but if college will adopt the NFL rule of linemen blocking 1 yard down field as opposed to 3 yards on a pass play I think we will see a shift back to more traditional football. I remember Bill Snyder (former Kansas St coach) talk about how the spread was basically the Wing T (which he ran in college) with some dressing and throwing out of it. He said that football us cyclical and will always come back around. I'm ready for it to come back the other way.

I have beat this horse to death......but if college will adopt the NFL rule of linemen blocking 1 yard down field as opposed to 3 yards on a pass play I think we will see a shift back to more traditional football. I remember Bill Snyder (former Kansas St coach) talk about how the spread was basically the Wing T (which he ran in college) with some dressing and throwing out of it. He said that football us cyclical and will always come back around. I'm ready for it to come back the other way.

I agree. 7 on 7 is offseason fun, but not something I care for a lot during the season, which is what I feel offenses are these days.

Back
Top Bottom