| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC Robin Williams found dead of apparent suicide

O captain! My captain! I grew up with Mork and Mindy...and then all the zaniness that followed. I have never heard a comedian so spontaneous, so unafraid to follow an impulse.

So horrible! I loved this guy; this really hurts. I hope his family can soon find peace.

Comedian Robin Williams has died of an apparent suicide. CNN is reporting Williams was found not breathing in his home north of San Fransico earlier today.

Williams came on the scene in the 70's on the sitcom Happy Days playing Mork from Ork. He later starred in TV and movies. Williams was one of the most gifted entertainers in the business.

RIP

Very sad. Dude was so super talented, and his acting in non-comedy roles was/is greatly under-appreciated, IMO. I loved watching Mork and Mindy on Nick at Night back in the early 90's. I hope he finds the happiness that was apparently elusive to him, Lord knows he brought a ton of it to countless others....

O captain! My captain! I grew up with Mork and Mindy...and then all the zaniness that followed. I have never heard a comedian so spontaneous, so unafraid to follow an impulse.

So horrible! I loved this guy; this really hurts. I hope his family can soon find peace.
Then you never heard of Jonathon Winter, Robin said he got it from watching Winter.

Great guy, he did alot of volunteer work. Sounds as if he'd been in a really dark place for a while (or in and out of it).

Too bad he quit on life. I have a hard time finding compassion for people that do this, especially when they have people who depend on them and need them (kids).

I hope to never visit that dark place.

fyi, I merged the two Robin Williams threads. I, too, remember him first on Happy Days and then the spinoff to Mork and Mindy. And Rick's right, his delivery and shtick is spot-on for Jonathon Winters, albeit at times at a more frenetic pace. Interestingly, Winters suffered from mental illness early in his career.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is a cinema masterpiece.

Then you never heard of Jonathon Winter, Robin said he got it from watching Winter.

Yes! Yes, he did. I know Jonathan Winters well. Love, love his Maude Frickett persona. Yes, he was out there, too. Dean Martin writers never had to write for either him or Rickles (my all-time favorite). Robin took what he from Winters and took it up a notch. I guess if I was about ten - fifteen years older, I'd probably prefer Winters to Williams. But then again, Williams wowed me as a teenager with Mork, Popeye, and the genie from Aladdin. Dead Poets Society is one of my all-time favorite movies, too. I show clips of it every year when I teach poetry.

But back to Winters...Two great clips of his:

and

Winters could take anything and you would be laughing your back side off. I think the best part of Mork and Mindy was when Winters because the child on the show.

This is truly sad news. He was loved by so many. I will have to watch a few of his movies in memoriam of him.

Winters could take anything and you would be laughing your back side off. I think the best part of Mork and Mindy was when Winters because the child on the show.

Yeah,those were some of the best episodes on Mork & Mindy.

One last Nanoo, Nanoo from Mork. So sad to see you go. You made me laugh a lot over the years. Patch Adams and Dead Poets Society were my favorites. Patch Adams, interestingly enough, touched on depression. I heard someone say last night that he was always "on", performing for whoever he happened to be with. That has to be very draining. RIP.

When I was driving 40,000 miles a year in East Tennessee in 87-88, I wore out two cassettes of the Good Morning, Vietnam soundtrack that included his monologues, and some fine music.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Tell those you love.

RTR,

Tim

Severely depressed recently, according to reports. Very sad, indeed. It seems the creative nature lends itself to self-destructiveness.
Yep. Especially comedians. The absolute greatest comedians of all time seem to have had a dark side and/or some form of mental illness (Bruce, Pryor, Winters, Kinison)

Very sad. I have never felt so strongly about a celebrity's death. Williams brought many laughs and smiles to my household. He will be missed.

I've heard reports that his daughter Zelda was harassed shortly after his death, with people on social media attacking her and sending her vulgar images. Disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom