| FTBL Report: Florida hiring Alabama assistant coach Austin Armstrong to become next defensive coordinator

I believe the problem will be more of finding someone who wants to work with Saban, rather than finding a quality coach. He's had a few say no thanks recently.

I get the impression that working under Saban is the equivalent to being an investment banker on Wall Street. The money is great and the opportunities are fine, but you better be prepared to work your ass off practically every day from dawn till dusk. You do that for a few years, make your connections, and then leave for something less stressful.

And I hate to say this, but as CNS gets older, potential new assistant coaches will view his age as a liability. I do think that his age contributed to the rather "meh" hirings this offseason. If this was 2015, we could have easily reeled in someone like Leonhard and Joe Brady. Thankfully though Saban looks very healthy. The dude is 71 and looks like he is 55. I remember my grandfather at 72, and he looked... old.

I'm curious to see who saban goes after now, there's a good amount of guys that can come in and coach the Position. I've seen Shaun Dion-Hamiltons name come up, along with Nico Johnson's as well. Don't think either has on field coaching experience, but they played at a very high level at the position, both learned from Saban, Smart, and Pruitt.... so they've been under great coaches before. I don't think we'll hire either as a positions coach, but we'll see. Steele could take over as the ILB coach as well, he's got years worth of experience coaching linebackers. Pruitt could be a possibility, again.... have to wait and see how all that bullshit plays out. There are options, but we'll have to see who Saban wants for the position.

Ha Ha Dix was really good college & NFL safety…He was coached by Saban, Smart and Steele..He knows what it takes to make the Alabama standard.. He knows how to prepare a player for the pros… Give him a shot

Is there a chance Pruitt will be able to coach? With Armstrong flying the coop not much left to choose from.

Nobody is blocking him, so it is just your definition of "chance" I guess. I don't see Saban/UA pulling the trigger now though, when they wouldn't a few weeks ago... nothing has changed on Pruitt's end. It's just going to be a waiting game with him is my guess, and in the meantime, Saban will hire/promote someone else for the open spot.

So . . . You wouldn't leave a job for a better job?
Maybe but it’s become so common for people to break commitments and contracts that they’ve both become meaningless. That’s a character flaw that’s a relatively new ailment in America. I’m old and I come from a different time but I was offered more money and a better title to leave a number of times in my career as were the other folks around me … and not one of us left. Honor, commitment and loyalty used to mean something but those virtues are considered antiquated today. So, I’m with Rick on this one even though I know a lot of other folks won’t be.

Maybe but it’s become so common for people to break commitments and contracts that they’ve both become meaningless. That’s a character flaw that’s a relatively new ailment in America. I’m old and I come from a different time but I was offered more money and a better title to leave a number of times in my career as were the other folks around me … and not one of us left. Honor, commitment and loyalty used to mean something but those virtues are considered antiquated today. So, I’m with Rick on this one even though I know a lot of other folks won’t be.
Fair point, especially since you've backed up what you're saying.

I'm curious to see who saban goes after now, there's a good amount of guys that can come in and coach the Position. I've seen Shaun Dion-Hamiltons name come up, along with Nico Johnson's as well. Don't think either has on field coaching experience, but they played at a very high level at the position, both learned from Saban, Smart, and Pruitt.... so they've been under great coaches before. I don't think we'll hire either as a positions coach, but we'll see. Steele could take over as the ILB coach as well, he's got years worth of experience coaching linebackers. Pruitt could be a possibility, again.... have to wait and see how all that bullshit plays out. There are options, but we'll have to see who Saban wants for the position.
It’ll be some 60 or 70 year old to “bring the band back together”

I get the impression that working under Saban is the equivalent to being an investment banker on Wall Street. The money is great and the opportunities are fine, but you better be prepared to work your ass off practically every day from dawn till dusk. You do that for a few years, make your connections, and then leave for something less stressful.

And I hate to say this, but as CNS gets older, potential new assistant coaches will view his age as a liability. I do think that his age contributed to the rather "meh" hirings this offseason. If this was 2015, we could have easily reeled in someone like Leonhard and Joe Brady. Thankfully though Saban looks very healthy. The dude is 71 and looks like he is 55. I remember my grandfather at 72, and he looked... old.
70s isnt bad. " just dont let the old man in"

For most ... not including ns...
Dont have stresses of
Raising kids
Work
Money

Nicks work excites him....

So 70s shouldn't be any different than much younger man

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom