| RECRUIT Recruiting update, 9-10-18

Bone: Recruiting Notes

Recruiting - BONE: 10 recruiting thoughts... | BamaInsider.com

1. I had the opportunity to watch several Alabama recruits compete on Friday night in the Hoover vs. Thompson game. Hoover came out on top, but it was certainly a game full of explosive plays. Auburn commitment and five-star WR George Pickens is super star. You just don’t see many players his size with the ability to move like he does. I was very impressed. He just has the look for a future NFL wide receiver. Alabama OL coach Brent Key and QB coachDan Enos were on hand to watch all of the players.

Taulia Tagovailoa had a fantastic performance. Hecompleted 33-of-61 for 474 yards and four touchdowns with one interception. I saw someonecomment about his completion percentage. It’s hard to complete all your passes when receivers drop the ball that hit them in the hands. Tagovailoa may not be 6-foot, but he is a very accurate passer and just has the persona on the field you want in a QB. Reminds me a lot of his brother.

Alabama commitment Amari Kight also had a verygood game. It’s tough for a HS defensive lineman who is probably not going to play in the SEC to go up against a legit Rival100 lineman who is committed to the best program in the country. Kight had his way most of the night. I think Brent Key was impressed and also encouraged that Kight’s best days are ahead of him. I don’t think Kight will go right in and play, but after a year or two in the program he will have theopportunity to become a starter in Tuscaloosa.

Will Reichard had a very good game. He drilled a 41-yard field goal. Would have been good from about 50+. He can’t get to Tuscaloosa quick enough. Hooverjunior QB Robby Ashford had a coming out party. Hecompleted 13-of-25 for 209 yards with two touchdowns. He added 146 yards on the ground.

2. We look at some of the other top performances of the week from Bama commitments:

Antonio Alfano, Rivals100 defensive tackle fromColonia High School in New Jersey, recorded 14tackles including seven tackles for loss in a losing effort.

Paul Tyson, four-star quarterback from Hewitt-Trussville High School in Alabama, completed 19-of-30 for 347 yards and three touchdowns in an unexpected 52-47 shootout win against Oak Mountain.

Kevin Harris, four-star defensive end from Grayson High School in Loganville, Georgia, registered four sacks in a monster 38-31 road win against Marietta.

Byron Young, four-star defensive end from West Jones High School in Laurel, Mississippi, had eight tackles, four tackles for loss and three sacks in a 35-13 win against Bay Springs.

Christian Williams, Rivals100 cornerback from Daphne High School in Alabama, had four tackles and an interception in a loss to Saraland. He also caught four passes on offense.

Brandon Turrnage, four-star cornerback from Lafayette High School in Oxford, had six tackles, a forced fumbled and two catches for 58 yards in a loss to Oxford.

John Metchie, four-star wide receiver from The Peddie School in Hightstown, New Jersey hauled in six receptions for 80 yards. He also had four carries for 40 yards and two touchdowns in a win against Bishop Sullivan.

3. Alabama had a few really big prospects on campus this past weekend. The two everyone wants to know about were Clay Webb, five-star center from Oxford High School in Alabama, and Nathan Pickering, four-star defensive end from Seminary High School in Mississippi. Yes, several other players in attendance.Lavonta Bentley, four-star linebacker from Jackson-Olin High School in Birmingham, was there. Bentley is having a good season, but still below several top LBs on the Tide's recruiting board. I just can't see himgetting a green light to commit. Several elite underclassmen were also in attendance includingRoydell Williams, four-star running back from Hueytown High School and Ga'Quincy McKinstry, 2021 defensive back from Pinson Valley High School. Two players I expect in Alabama's 2020 and 2021 classes.

Let's talk about Webb and Pickering- I have warned you all not to buy into the storyline of Webb as a lock toAlabama. There are some family members who really want to see him in Athens instead of Tuscaloosa. Idon't know if he is listening, but he is certainly not aguarantee to Alabama. Webb had another great time in Tuscaloosa. He still strongly does not want to playcenter in college. He is a tad under 6-foot-3. I think any school prefers him playing center, but at the same time they are not going to pass on him just because he wants to play guard. This is a very tight battle until theend.

Alabama thought it was in terrific shape with Pickering prior to his commitment to Mississippi State. We allknow how tough it is to recruit against the Mississippi schools for in-state targets for some reason. TheBulldogs have put together a solid class thus far. I do think it's a very tough flip....However, Bama is definitelyin this thing. Pickering remains very high on the Crimson Tide. His family also really likes Alabama alot. Pickering had a great time at Alabama on Saturday and definitely returning for a few more games thisseason. He will also have an official visit to Alabamaalong with a Nick Saban in-home visit. Don't count outthe Tide. He remains a highly sought-after target.

4. It will not come as a surprise if Darnell Wright, five-star offensive tackle from Huntington High School in West Virginia, takes a return visit to Tuscaloosa nextweekend for the Texas A&M game. It’s also Wright’s bye week. I believe the visit, if it happens, is an unofficial visit meaning he will still return for an official visit down the road. Some seem sure he will end up at Tennessee which is closer to home. I don’t believe that is the case. I still really like Alabama’s chances here,and they will only improve with a visit from the No. 1 OL next weekend.

5. Another OL we have talked a lot about is Evan Neal,five-star offensive tackle from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. The former Tide commitment has been working extremely hard the last several months to change his body, and the work is paying off. He has the mentality, size and strength to become an elitecollege player. He just has to continue to work. He seems to have the right mind set, drive anddetermination. Alabama remains a strong contender for his signature. He is in regular communication. There is no talk about Alabama taking one or the other between Neal and Wright. Alabama is seeking hard to land both of these five-star linemen.

6. Kayvon Thibodeaux, five-star defensive end from Oaks Christian in Westlake Village. California, will take his third trip to Tuscaloosa next week. Thibodeaux is returning for an official visit. Most believe his decision is coming down to Alabama and FSU. Things seemreally shaky in Tallahassee right now. Can you imagine if Samford would have pulled off the upset? Thibodeaux will get a first hand look at a remarkable atmosphere next weekend at Bryant-Denny Stadium. I imagine he will leave Tuscaloosa on a very high note.

7. It’s really tough to figure out what is going to happen at the final spot for the receiver position in this class. There is a lot of back-and-forth debate on who to take and which prospects are at the top of the board. Jameson Williams, four-star from Cardinal Ritter High School in St. Louis, has really started to surge up the Tide’s list with a strong start to his senior season.Williams is scheduled to take an official visit to Alabama on October 11. Alabama is hoping he does not make a decision before then. There is some talkabout a decision happening sometime this month. Possibly Ohio State.

Alabama will host Wandale Robinson, four-star from Western Hills High School in Frankfort, Kentucky and Milton Wright, four-star from Christian Academy in Louisville, next weekend for official visits. Robinson is definitely a prospect of high interest for Alabama. It’s just a matter of if Bama will take a receiver of his size as opposed to a bigger guy. Wright is a little bit downthe board right now. He does not have a green light to commit. George Pickens is also still heavily recruitedby Alabama.

8. Alabama commitment Justin Eboigbe, four-star defensive end from Forest Park High School in Florida, took an official visit to Florida on Saturday. Eboigbe hasn’t mentioned any other visit dates to this ponit, but he is likely to take a few more. He told GatorTerritroy.com after his official visit, "I'm stillcommitted to Alabama," Eboigbe said. "I'm still sold on them, but I always try my best to look at other colleges that I may be interested in because it's not final untilyou sign. They made an impression, but Alabama isstill at the top of my mind."

9. I am hearing Ishmael Sopsher, five-star defensive tackle from Amite High School in Louisiana, will return to Tuscaloosa next weekend. This really isn't a major surprise as Alabama and Texas A&M are two of Sopsher's top schools. We will likely also see his teammate Devonta Lee, Rivals athlete, also take the trip. Sopsher remains one of Alabama's key targets. I definitely think LSU's performance against Miami helped, and he will likely pay close attention to how they do against Auburn this weekend. LSU is certainly going all-in by extending an offer to his brother (a route I don't expect Alabama to take). It’s big for Alabama to get him back to Tuscaloosa to experience the atmosphere and enjoy a monster game at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

10. This is a big week ahead for major Alabama target Dax Hill, five-star safety from Washington High School in Tulsa, as he takes his official visit to Michigan. The last thing you probably want to see as an Alabama fan is a scheduled announcement shortly after the trip. I definitely believe it's a very tight battle between the two schools at this time. Alabama is hoping it can get Hill on campus next weekend for the A&M game before he makes a decision. It will give him an opportunity to evaluate both schools on game day. Hill took his official visit to Alabama in June. We will keep a close eye on the visit.

To me it sounds like we are losing some ground with guys we almost felt assured about. Clay Webb, sounds like he is playing the game and I feel he will not end up in Tuscaloosa. Hopefully he sees the Jedrick Wills story and realizes he can play another position and will be given the chance.
His recruitment sounds fishy to me at this point. Sounds like Georgia has come on strong which will get everyone talking. Family is all Alabama, but now they really want him in Athens???

Lots of conflicting stories on Webb. Have heard other ‘insiders’ who feel really good about Webb. We are loaded and deep on OL but would hate to lose a kid in our backyard who seems to be a can’t miss prospect. Especially to GA and Kirby.

Lots of conflicting stories on Webb. Have heard other ‘insiders’ who feel really good about Webb. We are loaded and deep on OL but would hate to lose a kid in our backyard who seems to be a can’t miss prospect. Especially to GA and Kirby.

I think there are different groups of people that are just saying shit to see what sticks. Clemson media, “Dabo is from Alabama and has recruited that state really well, so I say Clemson.” Georgia media, “Kirby is a cutthroat recruiter and has promised immediate playing time and there are people close to him that love UGA!”
Personally, I think that he has a tight relationship with Brent Key and Brent has been on him for a LONG time. Webb in Crimson!!

4. It will not come as a surprise if Darnell Wright, five-star offensive tackle from Huntington High School in West Virginia, takes a return visit to Tuscaloosa nextweekend for the Texas A&M game. It’s also Wright’s bye week. I believe the visit, if it happens, is an unofficial visit meaning he will still return for an official visit down the road. Some seem sure he will end up at Tennessee which is closer to home. I don’t believe that is the case. I still really like Alabama’s chances here,and they will only improve with a visit from the No. 1 OL next weekend.

Ohio State is after Wright as well and I think he is a soft commit to them.

Daxton Hill committed to Michigan. A guy we thought we had a good hand on, now gone to Michigan. I was really hoping to get him in this class. Maybe he will flip by time he signs, but with his official already in the books with us, I'd say he's gone fo sho.

Tosh will continue working on Hill, but look for Pola-Gates if he is given the green light.
Dax was real close to committing to Bama when he was here on the official and the impressions left were his parents really preferred Michigan over Bama.

I've seen mention of FSU commit Nick Cross moving up the board.

Tosh will continue working on Hill, but look for Pola-Gates if he is given the green light.
Dax was real close to committing to Bama when he was here on the official and the impressions left were his parents really preferred Michigan over Bama.

Cross and Dent may both be possibilities with the dumpster fire going on at FSU.

Cross and Dent may both be possibilities with the dumpster fire going on at FSU.

I was wondering if this Florida State mess would help us with Kayvon Thibideux as well.

I was wondering if this Florida State mess would help us with Kayvon Thibideux as well.

That implosion in Tallahassee and then with USCw struggling, it can only help.

That implosion in Tallahassee
Narrative 1) FSU in '18 has little depth and little talent has been developed.
Narrative 2) Give Jimbo until 2020 and he'll have A&M as a perennial contender.

What doesn't click here? I know he was a 10 win coach at FSU but I don't see any comparisons between conferences or divisions--he's got a much tougher row to hoe at A&M.

("...he's got a much tougher row to hoe at A&M. ..." I guess that fits optically with the coveralls?)

Bone says hellam, turnage, and Williams are all recruited to play safety so unless hill changes his mind Bama is done.

Says bama wants one more corner, and Noah pola would likely be that guy.

VISITORS LIST - ALABAMA vs TEXAS A&M
(Confirmed visitors only; may not include all)

2019 PROSPECTS
Nakobe Dean, 5* ILB, Horn Lake, MS
Kayvon Thibodeaux, 5* WDE, 1000 Oaks, CA - OV
Clay Webb, 5* OC, Oxford, AL
Wandale Robinson, 4* APB, Westrn Hills, KY - OV
George Pickens, 4* WR, Hoover, AL
Jerrion Ealy, 4* RB, Flowood, MS
Jarrian Jones, 4* S, Flowood, MS
Marcus Banks, 3* CB, Spring, TX - OV
Jamaal Abrams, 3* ILB, Birmingham, AL
Drew Rawls, 3* CB, Beaumont, TX
DJ James, 3* CB, Spanish Fort, AL