| NEWS Projecting Alabama’s depth chart after spring practice - AL.com

B

Bama News

Alabama had about 20 players injured or otherwise not available for its spring football game last weekend, prompting coach Nick Saban to offer a preemptive disclaimer not to read too much into the depth chart from the game.

“What you see in this game really doesn’t mean a whole lot in terms of trying to figure out the depth chart and all that,” he said last week. “Because there’s going to be a lot of guys missing and so how we play guys in this game doesn’t necessarily mean anything relative to the [upcoming season].”

However, Saban did tell ESPN’s broadcast crew that there 12 players missing from the game who would have shown up on Alabama’s two-deep, and the game did offer some general clues about what opportunities might be available for players after 15 spring practices.

Here is an estimation of Alabama’s depth chart of scholarship players before the team reconvenes for fall camp:

Quarterback: Bryce Young, Paul Tyson, Jalen Milroe

The biggest question is whether Milroe, the freshman from Texas, will eventually take over the No. 2 duties. ESPN’s broadcast crew Saturday relayed extensive positive reviews of Milroe, who was not available to play in the spring game, from both coaches and players.

Running back: Brian Robinson, Roydell Williams, Jase McClellan, Keilan Robinson (also wide receiver), Trey Sanders, Kyle Edwards, Camar Wheaton*

Robinson, who was not available to play Saturday, figures to be the starter but there is a deep group of players behind him competing for carries. Williams, a sophomore, drew positive reviews this spring. Sanders, when he returns to health, has the talent to get on the field.

Wide receiver: John Metchie, Slade Bolden, Javon Baker, Traeshon Holden, Agiye Hall, Xavier Williams, Thaiu Jones-Bell, Ja’Corey Brooks, Christian Leary, JoJo Earle*

Metchie and Bolden both are expected to be part of Bill O’Brien’s offense; the question is which less experienced receivers rise up alongside them. Baker and Holden played with the first team offense Saturday, but it was Hall who stole the show with the second team.

Tight ends: Jahleel Billingsley, Cameron Latu, Major Tennison, Robbie Ouzts, Caden Clark

Latu’s strong spring should get him on the field in two tight end groupings, like the one that began the game Saturday for O’Brien’s white team.

Offensive tackles: Evan Neal, Kendall Randolph, Damieon George (also guard), Tommy Brockermeyer, J.C. Latham

Neal moves to left tackle this season, his third position in three seasons, opening the right tackle spot. Randolph got the start Saturday, while George also got snaps there. The two five-star freshmen, Brockermeyer and Latham, could also make a push this summer.

Offensive guards: Emil Ekiyor, Javion Cohen, Damieon George (also tackle), Tommy Brown, Pierce Quick, Amari Kight, Tanner Bowles, Terrence Ferguson, Jaeden Roberts*

Ekiyor missed the spring because of injury, with Cohen and George starting Saturday’s game. Brown and Bowles rotated into the guard mix, and Quick -- also out this spring -- could factor into the competition this summer. Kight and Ferguson played with the second-team Saturday. The guard spot opposite Ekiyor will be one to watch in August.

Centers: Chris Owens, Darrian Dalcourt, Seth McLaughlin, James Brockermeyer

Owens returns for a sixth season and provides some experience in the middle of the offensive line.

Defensive linemen: DJ Dale, LaBryan Ray, Phil Mathis, Justin Eboigbe, Byron Young, Tim Smith, Jah-Marien Latham, Jamil Burroughs, Monkell Goodwine, Stephon Wynn, Braylen Ingraham, Damon Payne*, Tim Keenan*, Anquin Barnes*

Dale figures to start for a third season at nose guard, with Ray, Mathis, Eboigbe and Young all having seen considerable playing time last season at end. Smith is the name to watch from the younger group, with coaches telling ESPN’s broadcast that he has the best chance to replace Christian Barmore as an interior pass rusher.

Outside linebackers: Christopher Allen, Will Anderson, Drew Sanders, Chris Braswell, King Mwikuta, Quandarrius Robinson, Keanu Koht, Dallas Turner*

Allen and Anderson form a fearsome starting duo, with Braswell showing up in Saturday’s game with three sacks. Sanders, who was not available to play Saturday, saw playing time last year as a freshman.

Inside linebackers: Christian Harris, Jaylen Moody, Shane Lee, Deontae Lawson, Demouy Kennedy, Jackson Bratton, Ian Jackson, Kendrick Blackshire*

Moody is the favorite to replace Dylan Moses, with Lee -- who was not available to play Saturday -- back healthy this season. Lawson, a freshman, got the start Saturday with the first-team defense but is joined by other young players in vying for a role this summer.

Cornerbacks: Josh Jobe, Jalyn Armour-Davis, Ga’Quincy McKinstry, Marcus Banks, Ronald Williams, Brandon Turnage, Jahquez Robinson, Devonta Smith*, Khyree Jackson*

Armour-Davis earned the start Saturday with the first-team but McKinstry’s five-star talent is likely to get him on the field sooner rather than later. Williams, a JUCO transfer last year who missed time with a broken arm, started alongside McKinstry on the second-team with Banks out.

Star/Money: Malachi Moore, Brian Branch

Moore was sidelined this spring because of injury, but him and Branch should both see the field again this season as core pieces in the secondary.

Safeties: Jordan Battle, DeMarcco Hellams, Daniel Wright, Kristian Story, Terrion Arnold*, Kadarius Calloway*, Kaine Williams*

Hellams took over for Wright late last season and seems to be the favorite to start alongside Battle. Alabama will get a flood of talent at this position this summer, with Arnold arriving as a top 50 prospect.

*freshman expected to join the team this summer

This bunch has a chance to be pretty good IF they don't don't get complacent. It APPEARS there will be so much competition for most every position that if you do get Happy then you might find yourself with the 2nd bunch. Hopefully they can avoid major injuries. When there is 6 DB's on the field I believe by early in the season this guy Kool-Aid will be one of them regardless to has one of those spots today (if he is coachable).

When there is 6 DB's on the field I believe by early in the season this guy Kool-Aid will be one of them regardless to has one of those spots today
Who is he going to replace? We're looking at a seven man rotation if things go as they normally do. Jobe, Armour-Davis, Branch, Hellams, Wright, Branch, and Battle.

Now we're getting into the depth situation you mention because Banks has been nipping the heels of Armour-Davis all spring. Jackson has JUCO experience making it logical to seeing him getting his share of reps. Ronald Williams is a senior and has been looking good as well. I've seen it suggested and I agree with the notion that if Jobe would have gone to the league Williams would be starting this spring.

Then there's Turnage who is progressing well. Now we're adding four more including Kool Aid.

#Bamaproblems where's the room?

Who is he going to replace? We're looking at a seven man rotation if things go as they normally do. Jobe, Armour-Davis, Branch, Hellams, Wright, Branch, and Battle.

Now we're getting into the depth situation you mention because Banks has been nipping the heels of Armour-Davis all spring. Jackson has JUCO experience making it logical to seeing him getting his share of reps. Ronald Williams is a senior and has been looking good as well. I've seen it suggested and I agree with the notion that if Jobe would have gone to the league Williams would be starting this spring.

Then there's Turnage who is progressing well. Now we're adding four more including Kool Aid.

#Bamaproblems where's the room?

What about Moore?

I have a feeling 1 of those names you've mentioned could get nudged out....

There ya go. I was rattling names off the top of my head and forgot his name: he will be on the field in the same sense we will see Jobe.

Who? That's my original question here.

#3 might have a hard time beating out any of those cats. Hellams appears to have taken that safety spot, and Branch is a steady option @ Money.

Really nice option though to have a guy with his experience on the depth chart. I'm sure at some point he will be needed

To whom are you referring?

My judgements here are based on what has happened in spring camp outside of a guy like Moore. You think he's being surplanted?

With Kool-Aid: Banks was pushing JAD all spring for that starting nod. I wouldn't be surprised, in the least, about a shuffle back and forth there. Both had great spring camps. On the other side Williams is that second guy.

If there's a shift it'll be with JAD. That being said ...

I understand the excitement about McKinstry. He's going to be a good one. I also know what the roster holds and it has a lot of experienced guys sitting in front of him. Daniel Wright is going to play. Turnage has looked good this spring, looked great Saturday.

I simply don't see that progression up the depth chart this fall because they're deep and experienced.

Just because you started last year doesn't mean you will start the next IF the incoming player at your position is more talented and is into the playbook as well.

#3 might have a hard time beating out any of those cats. Hellams appears to have taken that safety spot, and Branch is a steady option @ Money.

Really nice option though to have a guy with his experience on the depth chart. I'm sure at some point he will be needed
Keep in mind several of these guys had "assigned roles" last season; situational if you like that term better. When you're talking about Branch and Hellams those are two that will have those roles this season. Battle is another.

When I run a "plug and play" kind of game in my head I can see how a lot of these guys will fit into their roles. This depth give the staff the ability to have those safeties that are better suited against running teams as well as those they'll need when they play the likes of Ole Miss, et. al.

I'll add one thing here. I've seen fans talk about how this is the most talented 1-85 Saban has assembled. I hesitate there. But good lord the amount of young talent they've put together. It's scary good.

I'll add one thing here. I've seen fans talk about how this is the most talented 1-85 Saban has assembled. I hesitate there. But good lord the amount of young talent they've put together. It's scary good.

I am not so sure about the team we will have this year. Bryce looks good, but I still wonder about us on offense. I just don't have that feeling I had last year and in year's past when we had a few more upperclassmen.

That being said, I definitely think this 2021 class and the 2020 class will win two Championships together. The amount of talent is unreal. Braswell showing out this Spring, seeing Kennedy and Moody get some time at linebacker, knowing how deep we are at running back and will be this Fall at wide receiver, the offensive line haul. Yeah, we won't be touched the next two-three years, even though we may get some bumps and bruises this year.

I am not so sure about the team we will have this year. Bryce looks good, but I still wonder about us on offense. I just don't have that feeling I had last year and in year's past when we had a few more upperclassmen.

That being said, I definitely think this 2021 class and the 2020 class will win two Championships together. The amount of talent is unreal. Braswell showing out this Spring, seeing Kennedy and Moody get some time at linebacker, knowing how deep we are at running back and will be this Fall at wide receiver, the offensive line haul. Yeah, we won't be touched the next two-three years, even though we may get some bumps and bruises this year.
2022 looks really strong for The King (if our QB play matches what we believe it will be)

Lots can happen over the course of the off season and during the season. What looks like depth in April could be a problem by September. Lets hope not and it is unlikely but it is nice to know we have a ton of options.

It will be interesting to see if Randolph can hold off those young freshman at RT... Brockermeyer and Latham are freaks.

I thought Randolph at TE / the extra limeman position the last 2 years was a fantastic formation. But the idea of playing Latu & Billingsly together is exciting and may ultimately lead Randolph to RT... Although I'm sure there will be a lot of flexibility and combinations used over the year!

It will be interesting to see if Randolph can hold off those young freshman at RT... Brockermeyer and Latham are freaks.

I thought Randolph at TE / the extra limeman position the last 2 years was a fantastic formation. But the idea of playing Latu & Billingsly together is exciting and may ultimately lead Randolph to RT... Although I'm sure there will be a lot of flexibility and combinations used over the year!
Coming out of spring camp it was a three man battle between Randolph, Latham, and Damieon George. George started with the 1's in the first scrimmage and Randolph started with the 1's in the second and third scrimmage. In the second scrimmage George started with the 1's but he was at right guard.

It gets interesting when you consider the spring Tommy Brown had playing guard along with Ekiyor. There's a lot of speculation TB takes the guard spot (versus George) to start the season.

My gut tells me Randolph returns to his traditional blocking tight end role and we see George and Latham battle for the starting job in the fall.

Coming out of spring camp it was a three man battle between Randolph, Latham, and Damieon George. George started with the 1's in the first scrimmage and Randolph started with the 1's in the second and third scrimmage. In the second scrimmage George started with the 1's but he was at right guard.

It gets interesting when you consider the spring Tommy Brown had playing guard along with Ekiyor. There's a lot of speculation TB takes the guard spot (versus George) to start the season.

My gut tells me Randolph returns to his traditional blocking tight end role and we see George and Latham battle for the starting job in the fall.

What do you hear about Billingsley as far as his practice habits? It seems when Nick mentions #19 is almost always a measured praise as though he is trying to get the player to really apply himself and be the player that Nick believes he can be. The guy is good already but could be elite.

What do you hear about Billingsley as far as his practice habits? It seems when Nick mentions #19 is almost always a measured praise as though he is trying to get the player to really apply himself and be the player that Nick believes he can be. The guy is good already but could be elite.
He had a really good spring but that's something that shouldn't be news to anyone. When you have a tight end getting a receiver award for spring camp it tells you what the staff thought of his performance.

Back
Top Bottom