| FTBL Prior to NC game

It happens... hell, McCarron and Barrett Jones were shoving each other during an actual title game. Way back in Saban's tenure, Rolando McClain and Chris Rodgers got into a fight that turned some heads. I think I've mentioned before that Jonathan Allen almost beat the shit out of Tony Brown because he wouldn't get his ass in gear during a practice out in Arizona leading up to the title game out there... Allen ended up kicking him out of practice instead, which probably saved Brown's life that day. Another good one, Kirby and Kevin Steele getting into a fight in the locker room down in New Orleans at the Sugar Bowl one year.

It happens... hell, McCarron and Barrett Jones were shoving each other during an actual title game. Way back in Saban's tenure, Rolando McClain and Chris Rodgers got into a fight that turned some heads. I think I've mentioned before that Jonathan Allen almost beat the shit out of Tony Brown because he wouldn't get his ass in gear during a practice out in Arizona leading up to the title game out there... Allen ended up kicking him out of practice instead, which probably saved Brown's life that day. Another good one, Kirby and Kevin Steele getting into a fight in the locker room down in New Orleans at the Sugar Bowl one year.
I'm all for players being passionate and keeping each other in check, signs of a good team in my opinion. I'm not sure I see that in this year's team, guess that's why I was asking. Figured some of y'all may have more info on that.

I'm all for players being passionate and keeping each other in check, signs of a good team in my opinion. I'm not sure I see that in this year's team, guess that's why I was asking. Figured some of y'all may have more info on that.

This team has some good leadership, on both sides of the ball. There's a different dynamic this year as opposed to the previous years under Saban in some ways... but there's still the leadership type groups to go along with the captains. I haven't personally heard of any major issues, other than some usual knucklehead stuff. There's one particular player I won't name that has shown some immaturity in some areas but he may be getting on track now... maybe that it because the season is here... maybe it's because his role is expanding... maybe it's something else. The hope is always that guys like him will lock in though... Saban called them blinking lights... don't be a blinking light.

Don’t know how many of you have been on championship teams. Most if not all are similar to this, fights are a given. I know I was on a state championship team, and a national championship team. We had dozens of fights during these runs. It’s kind of hard to explain but it’s like chaos being “controlled”. Every now and then it “bubbles” over and that’s what you get!!! A good fight every now and then actually releases a ton of pent up energy that needs to be expelled every so often. Like a pressure cooker if you don’t have that steam release valve bad things will happen.

Man it was great!!!!
‘87 & ‘88 back to back 5A Florida state champs. At the time it was the biggest classification in Florida.

‘88 team was also voted national champions. We were really really vicious….

Fights were super common, especially on the practice field. Coaches would let us “get it out of us”. I won most, but lost a few!!!! We had a lot of fun, but worked super hard. We had 3 a days during summer. You had to play at least 2 sports or you didn’t play football. Every player had to sit in the front of their classes. Every player from the super studs to the practice players (scrubs) where treated identical. The coach knew all players parents, and what was going on at home with each. It’s something that’s almost unheard of at the high school level today, at least around here.

Every now and then the offense and defense would get into some knock down drag outs. Coaches would back off for a bit, but when they came in everybody stopped!!! I still have never seen a team more disciplined and together on game days to this day.

We had 19 D1 scholarships on that team. I lost mine due to an injury (back then they didn’t have to honor one if you got hurt).

Man it was great!!!!
‘87 & ‘88 back to back 5A Florida state champs. At the time it was the biggest classification in Florida.

‘88 team was also voted national champions. We were really really vicious….

Fights were super common, especially on the practice field. Coaches would let us “get it out of us”. I won most, but lost a few!!!! We had a lot of fun, but worked super hard. We had 3 a days during summer. You had to play at least 2 sports or you didn’t play football. Every player had to sit in the front of their classes. Every player from the super studs to the practice players (scrubs) where treated identical. The coach knew all players parents, and what was going on at home with each. It’s something that’s almost unheard of at the high school level today, at least around here.
That's awesome. Coaches knew how to run things. Congratulations

Won one 2A state championship in football in the 10th grade then the senior year was brutall. Lost the championship game in both football and baseball. I remember the losses much more than the one we won. I do recall a few fights here and there but nothing major or that was ever allowed to get out of hand. Coaches would let players blow off steam but then break it up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom