Pressed Cuban Sandwiches

XXL TideFan

Any good bread can be substituted for the Cuban. I tend to use Italian and I change up the mustard. I also use a generous amount of cayenne pepper and often add various peppers. Whatever floats your boat at the time. I don't have a sandwich press, so I use two heavy cast iron skillets and a couple of bricks wrapped in aluminum foil. Get the skillets screaming hot in the oven (bricks also) and put the sandwich in one put the other skillet on top and mash the snot out of it. Place the bricks in the top skillet to help hold it down. In about 5 minutes you'll have a sandwich that will blow your friends away and it was made to go with beer. You may also want to try a couple of tablespoons of sauerkraut in the sandwich.

Note: Construction of a sandwich is an important ingredient in the overall experience. I have shown it to my wife that you can take the exact same ingredients and build the sandwich 3 different ways and it will taste differently each time.

1 loaf of Cuban bread

1/2 lb Sugar Cured Ham Sliced Thin
1/2 lb Pork Roast

1/2 lb Swiss Cheese Sliced
Mustard

Butter
1 Dill Pickle Sliced thin

For a real Cuban Sandwich, do not add anything else.

Cut Cuban bread into 7 to 8 inches long sections and slice lengthwise.

Spread mustard on both halves and pile the ingredients, for each sandwich, as follows (do not alter the order): 1 slice dill pickle, 1/3 of the ham, 1/3 of the roast pork, 1/3 of the Swiss cheese and top with another slice of dill pickle. Close sandwich and spread a bit of butter on each side of the bread crust.
Place on sandwich press. Heat until the cheese begins to melt.
Serve while still warm.

Back
Top Bottom