Post your most memorable golf cart story here

I was a senior in high school and was on the golf team. Me and my buddy were so bad our scores didn't count in tournaments.
One tournament it rained a lot earlier that morning. Two were up front and me and someone else was standing in back. We were going down hill in the grass and the driver slammed on the brakes and cut it sideways. The back end swung around and caught the cement cart path. It flipped and slung us across the grass. No one was hurt or golf carts. But my momma was disappoint that I ruint my khakis.

My story is when i was about 17-18 me and 3 of my buddies were playing at one of those "pasture" golf courses, very cheap but the owner took great pride in it. Grass wasnt quality but it was cut, and the greens were actually very good for this type course. Me and my dad played all the time there and he was friends with the owner.

Anyway, 17-18 yr olds go to play all by their lonesome. I didnt do it but i watched 2 of my buddies destroy about 6 greens, running over flag sticks, doing donuts, you name it. I felt bad but hey i didnt do anything. The owner calls my dad and while on the phone with him my dad asks me if we did it. I said no way, he and the owner believed me bc i was such a good kid, my friends too. 20 years latet and i still feel guilt about that.
I knew that was you, son!!!

Hit a tree while looking for a lost ball with my big buddy riding beside me. Wasn't a mature tree and had spring to it. The back tires came off the ground. We were buzzing pretty good, thank God, because that tree sprung us backwards. My big 350 pound buddy was rolling across the ground like humpty dumpty. The other two of the foursome just about died laughing. Big buddy jumps up and hollared "you son of a bitch", and it kind of stuck.

My story is my Dad's friends story.

For those familiar with the Shoals area, you might remember the OxyChem 9-hole golf course off of Wilson Dam Road in Muscle Shoals.

When they decided to widen the road, it overlapped 3 holes on the course and shut it down.

Before closing the course, they had a special event for a lot of the retirees, employees, management and such.

My dad's friend's (former owner of Dales Steakhouse in florence... not related, just interesting context maybe for some NW Bama locals) father (OxyChem retiree) went to golf at the event.

He was was in his early 70s and in good health. The guy he was riding with drove the cart off the course down a slight hill in the woodline after a ball.

Reports are that speed wasn't a factor ,but a mixture of rough terrain and bad luck came together in a tragic way.

The cart stayed upright the whole time but the vibration and shaking broke the old guys neck. He died there on the course.

It was really tragic for all, but craziest golf cart story I know.

runaway-golf-cart_zpsf6250d51.gif

Back
Top Bottom