| FTBL Play-By-Play man on the Radio

Who would you like to see as tha Alabama Radio Play-By-Play Man?

• Bring Back Paul Kennedy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, I will post my choice below.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

What is your opinion on Eli Gold? Personally, I like the guy, but I just don't think he is that good on the play by play. He does a great job describing the color of the grass, the uniforms, the weather and etc., but it is hard to tell what is actually going on in the game. I've heard some criticize him for not being "an Alabama man". Heck, the dude was born and raised in NY! I don't agree with this part. You can tell that he does love Alabama football. I just hate not knowing what down it is, the score, where the ball is, and sometimes who's actually got the ball. It also drives me nuts to hear him almost yell "Darby takes the hand, off BIG HOLE UP THE MIDDLE! Kenneth Darby for a gain of 2 yards."

I'd love to see Chris Stewart take over the job. He does a fabulous job with Basketball.

What are others thoughts?

I like Eli as well, but I also like Stewart. Stewart brings a little comedy to the role too, which I like. He calls a good game but then can break off some classic one-liners and have you chuckling.

"The Dawgs are the best tackling team we've seen this year"

That was during the UA/UGA basketball game. hehe! :lol:

I think Stewart may be a nice change. He seems to be more of a homer than Eli and make a lot more Pro-Bama comments during the game. Still, I don't mind Eli. I think it's impressive we have a nationally recognized announcer, as Eli does a lot of NASCAR and Arena Football.

Rolling Tide said:
I love the fact you can listen for hours and never know what the score is or was.

I've commented on that before too! :D

If you could dig up some of the old game threads, sometimes I would actually give running totals of how many times Eli would give the score and how long it had been since the last score update. One Bama-Vandy b-ball game, I think he went 37 minutes without giving the score. That may be why he no longer does the b-ball games. You should continually give the score during a b-ball game.

I enjoy listening to Eli's voice, but he drives me nuts by not keeping us updatred on the down and distance and time left. I really enjoy listening to Stewart, and I'd love for him to take over when Eli's contract expires. Regardless... sooner or later, it will be Stewart's job.

As a rival fan, Eli drives me crazy with his constant stats:

"Kenneth Darrrby, the SEC's seventh leading rusher this season, with 672 yards on 156 carries, lines up behind Marc Guillon, who came into the game as the SEC's 24th rated QB, based on his efficiency rating." By the time he is finished, the play is over and Stabler is commenting on what a great run that was.

Eli then comes back with something like: "You know, Snake, Bama has won every game under Shula in which they have rushed for more than 250 yards while holding the opponents to less than 15 net yards in the fourth quarter."

I expect the day when Eli chimes in with: "You know, Snake, Bama has won every game this season in which they have outscored their opponents."

KnownByTheCompanyYouKeep said:

"Kenneth Darrrby, the SEC's seventh leading rusher this season, with 672 yards on 156 carries, lines up behind Marc Guillon, who came into the game as the SEC's 24th rated QB, based on his efficiency rating." By the time he is finished, the play is over and Stabler is commenting on what a great run that was.

Eli then comes back with something like: "You know, Snake, Bama has won every game under Shula in which they have rushed for more than 250 yards while holding the opponents to less than 15 net yards in the fourth quarter."

I expect the day when Eli chimes in with: "You know, Snake, Bama has won every game this season in which they have outscored their opponents."

LOL :D That's funny, I don't care if you're a rival or not...that was damn near a spot-on impression. ;tr

Tideboy said:
KnownByTheCompanyYouKeep said:

LOL :D That's funny, I don't care if you're a rival or not...that was damn near a spot-on impression. ;tr

I was thinking the same thing TB. :D

i love listening to Stewart call the b-ball games....the one liners, and the fact that he really draws you into the game rather than just stating what happens....it seems like he also moves with the pace of the game and is actually telling you what is going on as he sees it not reporting on what has already happened. i don't know if football would be his thing, but i like to see him try.

another thing about the b-ball broadcasts....Tom Roberts says like 4 words the whole time....half of them about hot dogs and the other half goes something like "Heeeeey, that was a great play he just made there wasn't it? He always makes great plays." :D

I like Eli...he may not give the down as often as he should or the score as often as he should, but maybe that's where a better co-pilot could come into play. I'm not saying take the play by play away from Eli, just give him some help. His stats announcements are one of the things I like about him. Chris Stewart and Eli together would prolly make a great broadcast crew. JMO.

RTR
BamaSon25

Keep eli

Hey y'all Eli may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, He also may not be everybodys favorite but hellfar he does the best job possible.
I like to hear him call a game (just not basketball :lol: )
Lets keep'em. Just try to git Chris stewart in there with him

I like both Eli and Chris. For now, I stick with Eli for football, though.

Sure, Eli may take years to tell the score and whatnot, but he's the only 'Bama football personality I've ever known. It's his voice that I associate with Alabama football radio (not including Snake, of course).

If Eli's ever out, I'd like Chris to take his place. He does an excellent job with basketball games. Seems like a nice guy, too.

Eli is awesome announcing the NASCAR races, but he has been doing those for more that 25 years. How did a guy for NY get a job announcing NASCAR and Alabama Football?

Chris would be great for the job and since I know Paul Kennedy will not ever be back in the booth for us I voted for Chris Stewart. I started out listening to Paul Kennedy every Saturday when I was younger and I think that Chris Stewart is a lot like Kennedy both get very excited and you know just by listening to them that they love Alabama, not the Eli doesn't.

I like Eli, and Eli does update. If you listen to the game you dont need an update cause you know whats going on. I think we should bring Doug Layton back. i enjoyed listening to his color with Eli. Ah the golden days....Chris stewarts OK. But I would rather listen to Eli, to me he is Alabama Football's voice, and he has been there long enough to be considered tradition. For a group of people that cite tradition, he has been Bama's play by play man for over 15 years and people are wanting to get rid of tradition. Lets not ever bring up removing numbers from the helmet and put the schools Logo on it ;) (please note the sarcasm)

Back
Top Bottom