Place Names Challenge - Alabama SEC Edition

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Staff
Howdy Folks,

Happy Thanksgiving. The Place Name thread has been fun and helped me remember how many states have towns and communities with the same names.

Here's your challenge: of the twelve SEC towns located outside the Great State of Alabama, how many of them have towns or communities with similar names located INSIDE the Great State of Alabama?

BONUS: Name those SEC towns without an Alabama namesake.

DOUBLE BONUS: How many of those Alabama towns have you visited?

RTR,

Tim

Fayette
Knoxville
Columbiana
Oxford
Athens
Lexington (?)
Gainesville (?)

Cannot think of a town with a similar name if Baton Rogue, College Station, Nashville, or Starkville

I've been to or through (Knoxville) the first five.

Lexington and Gainesville are towns in Alabama Lexington is in the north west corner and Gainesville is south west of Tuscaloosa Been to all of them. Also there is a very small unincorporated area called Fayetteville. It's close to lake Martin.

Fayetteville, AL (Close to Lake Martin more of a community)
Oxford, AL. next to Anniston
Columbia AL. close to Dothan
Athens, AL close to Huntsville
Lexington AL North West corner
Gainesville, AL Southwest of T Town
Knoxville, AL is on I65 in the South of the state in Green County
Baton Rouge, Nashville, Starkville, or College Station are not in AL,

I have been through all of them. I used to be a Sales Manager for the State of AL. Can't say I visited all of them but I have have been through them.

Great job, guys. RollllTide! (can I call you RolllTide for short?), Knoxville isn't too far from Gainesville as well (there's an exit for it off 59 before heading to MS), and Fayetteville is actually a little south of Childersburg near Lay Lake on the Coosa - they were big enough for us to play them in baseball - but not football - in the eighties.

My only curveball is that there is a community in north Alabama called Little Nashville. If you knock out the Commodores on that basis, that leaves Starkville, College Station and Red Stick (I guess Red Bay isn't close enough).

I've been a road warrior during different times in my career, plus I grew up in Bama and have always been fascinated by travel and geography, so I always enjoy experiencing new places in the South. The last three years, I've been traveling sporadically to SC and NC. I've learned that SC is essentially Alabama without championship football. And that @TerryP knows his way around the Palmetto State.

RTR,

Tim

I've been a road warrior during different times in my career, plus I grew up in Bama and have always been fascinated by travel and geography, so I always enjoy experiencing new places in the South. The last three years, I've been traveling sporadically to SC and NC. I've learned that SC is essentially Alabama without championship football. And that @TerryP knows his way around the Palmetto State.

RTR,

Tim

...and schizophrenia when it comes to BBQ.

Back
Top Bottom