| CURRENT EVENTS Do you think Alabama should legalize lotteries?

Should Alabama legalize the lottery?

• Total voters

AFF

Saw the Power Ball Lottery was over 750 million last night, so I figured I'd get a ticket just for giggles ( I didn't win :( so I didn't actually giggle)

But I did happen across the graphic below and got to wondering...

1695903976826.png

...is it time for Alabama to legalize the lottery?

Supposedly, about half the money goes to lottery winners - the other half to the state to do with as they please.
Now, I'm sure there's plenty of corruption and thievery going on as with virtually any other tax.

But many states use the money for education - like in the form of the HOPE program here in Georgia.

What do y'all think?

A few years ago I would have said NO! But we might as well keep that money in the state. I'm going off course here just a bit. When Randolph County with wet. When I travel to Anniston, I would see people from the county stopping at Hollis Crossroads at the four way stop buying beer. It was right after the vote to make the county wet. This should tell us that some with still but those tickets in that state.

Alabama should have legalized it two decades ago. I don't care to play it. I'll buy a ticket or two every now and then when I'm in TN. But the biggest issue I have are senators who claim "we're for the people" yet can't even form up a simple bill to allow us to vote on it. You're only for the people when it's convenient for us to vote you in office. Therefore, I don't give a shit to even vote until a politician has a track record of doing what is for the people and not to back their pockets. Does it make a difference? No. But at least I'm doing what I want as a citizen and what I want others to do as someone in the military. I digress though.

Yes, Alabama should have a lottery if it goes towards the education fund. Poor people are lining up to go across bordering states regardless. Nothing stops them. Nothing. I live in Huntsville and the "Magic Mile" is not even 40 minutes from me. That is a place in TN that makes bank from residents of Alabama. The news stations here even show the lottery numbers weekly. Furthermore, it creates jobs. Some that are just above the poverty lines; some that pay a lot more. There's been studies on the economic impact it would have for Alabama. Some I think is exaggerated to help persuade sleazy politicians to draw up a bill to line up their fat pockets. But my biggest thing is it does create jobs and it helps go towards education. The fact that a bible belt state like Mississippi got one means we're behind.

And yes, while we're at it, table gaming and sports betting should be legal as well. But I don't believe it should be tied to the lottery bill. It needs to be created separately. More importantly, it needs to be voted on by the people of Alabama. Just because I believe it should be legal doesn't mean five million other residents believe it should. That's where I stand.

There isn't a single person running this state that wants us to do what I stated above.

First, I don't have a problem with it being legalized in the state. However, there are two things that bother me. One, we have already voted on it and voted it down. So, if the attempt is to vote again or vote until we get the outcome that we want, just say that and don't shroud the original outcome. Not pointed at anyone here but specifically at lawmakers who pretend the first vote didn't happen. And finally, number b, one problem that many people, me included, had during the first vote was the fact that proceeds were going to go into the general fund for discretionary spending. No one trusted Alabama politicians with that much in discretionary funds. Tell us what the money will be spent on and use it for that. One more note, if you are going to pass a lottery then also get rid of Me Maw's damn gas tax in the process!

Yes. I love taxes that I don't have to pay... and the money could go a long way to help the state. Now, would it be managed correctly? That's an entirely different hurdle, but I'd much rather be trying to clear that one than the current one of not even having the extra revenue. If nothing else, they should legalize sports betting, like ASAP. When they get the taste of the dollars, the rest will follow IMO. I know the Creeks will be pissed and have made a lot of deals to keep gambling outside our border, but too bad for them. They can adapt or move along (again).

I live 4 miles from the Alabama/Tennessee state line. The state line store on Highway 43 is raking in the bucks from the Alabama side for sure. Never have figured out why the state turns that influx of money down, but hey, you cant buy a beer before 8am in Florence, Muscle Shoals or Tuscumbia but in Sheffield you can buy it if you get up at 5am and down the road in Athens you can get it 24/7. I believe they underestimate the determination of their constituents. :p
🤷‍♂️

...in Athens you can get it 24/7
When I lived there Limestone County was dry as a bone. Had to go up to Ardmore or over to Madison County to get alcohol. They used to say that as long as the bootleggers kept paying the politicians that it would never go wet. I don't know how true that was, but I'm sure somebody was getting rich by keeping the county dry. As usual, follow the money.

When I lived there Limestone County was dry as a bone. Had to go up to Ardmore or over to Madison County to get alcohol. They used to say that as long as the bootleggers kept paying the politicians that it would never go wet. I don't know how true that was, but I'm sure somebody was getting rich by keeping the county dry. As usual, follow the money.
Wasn't Mike Blakely the sheriff back then? Just sayin' :p

Back
Top Bottom