| FTBL PJs Picks- Week Two

psychojoe

Smart Pill Addict
Staff
There were some surprises in week one. LSU looked much stronger in week one than I expected, especially considering the turmoil caused by the off the field factors.

Georgia was significantly worse. Coach Richt very much needs for his team to win this week or he will be on the hot seat, dream recruiting class or not.

We all knew that Auburn llost a lot of players last season, in addition to their stars, Newton and Fairley. I don't think anyone expected they would be lit up for almost 500 yards of total offense by Utah State, or that they would only have 76 yards rushing, and would need a heroic effourt in the last two minutes to get out with a win.

Ole Miss revealed what we all expected: a struggling offense, a good defense, but no margin for error.

Everyone else performed relatively close to expectations.

Week two sees for the most part more serious opposition, and there are two conference games.

Mississippi State travels to a seven point road favorite. If Auburn could not contain Utah State's running game, there is no reason to expect them to stop the Bulldogs.

MSU 24 Auburn 17

South Carolina goes to Athens for the latest installment in the annual brawl. The Gamecocks struggled early with their in state rival, but pulled away late to win. The Dawgs got their feelings hurt against Boise. This is a very big conference game for so early in the season, for the 'Cocks because they have national aspirations for this year, for georgia because they need to regain their confidence and restore some swagger. While Garcia can implode and give the Dawgs a W here, I expect the Gamecocks will prevail. Their defense is too good, and their offense has two super star types.

USCe 31 Ga 21.

Tennessee hosts Big East member Cincinnatti. Although it will be tougher than last week, the Vols will prevail.

Tenn 28 Cincy 13

Vandy also brings in a Big East opponent, the Huskies of U Conn. Both schools have first year coaches. It should be a good one but I like Vandy at home.

Vandy 21 U CONN 17

Other games:

Florida 47 UAB 10

Kentucky 28 Central Michigan 13

Ole Miss 24 Southern Illinois 13

Arkansas 45 New Mexico 10

LSU 38 Northwestern State 3

And in the game dearest to us, Bama travels to Happy Valley to take on the Nittany Lions of Penn State. This game has two of the best programs in the history of the game, as well as a legendary head coach on one sideline, and an iconic one on the other.

We can't turn the ball over five times as we did in our opener, and I don't think we will. In analyzing this game: Penn State has a good but not great defense. They will be sound and well coached. I am sure our quarterbacks have been schooled in taking what the defense gives them and not forcing things. We will not roll up yardage as we did in week one, but we should get enough. Penn State's offense figures to be similar to what they had a year ago. I expect a typical Saban defensive approach. We will try to shut down their running game and force them to try to beat us passing the football. We will succeed, but they will not.

Bama 27 Penn State 13

i'm with you as far as the W-L ration all the way... though i think MSU will have a larger margin of victory over the barners. also i think UAB and florida will be a close game for the first 2-3 qtrs.

Back
Top Bottom