| FTBL PJs Picks- Week 3

psychojoe

Smart Pill Addict
Staff
The old (yes I am old, and today I really feel old) prognosticator is off to a good start this season, going 9-3 in week one and 9-1 in week two. This week gets a bit tougher, as there are several games that could go either way.

Let's start with Tennessee at Florida. This game does not have the luster it had a few years ago, largely due to Tennessee's decline in Fulmer's later years. The Vols are showing signs of rebounding, though, while the Gators are adapting to their new coaching staff. Both teams are undefeated, and the winner will start to get some attention in the rankings.

Tennessee, led by sophomor Tyler Bray, has plenty of fire power on offense. The Vol defense has been suspect so far. Florida struggled some on offense against UAB, especially in the first half, but their defense, especially the front four, looks very strong. The Gator offense is beginning to settle in to Charlie Weiss's pro style offense though. It will be a battle, but I like the home team.

Florida 31 Tennessee 27

LSU travels to Stark Vegas for a Thursday night game. So far the bayou Bengals have looked every part of a national championship contender. Mississippi State looked very good in week one against Memphis. The second week revealed some issues however. First, Memphis is among the dregs of the bowl subdivision, as Arkansas State pummelled them as badly as the bulldogs did. Second, State, facing a real offense in week two, had a lot of trouble stopping Gus Malzahn's offense. At least so far, their defense is not as good as last year's team. While LSU's attack is nowhere near as sophisticated as Auburn's they will be able to put up both yards and points. The Tigers' defense won't totally stop Relph, Ballard and company, but they will hold them to much less production than against Auburn.

LSU 28 Mississippi State 17

Auburn travels to Clemson. It was in this game a year ago that it seemed that the fates intervened on behalf of Auburn. They mounted a comeback in the second half to tie the score, then saw Kyle Parker miss a wide open receiver in the end zone and Clemson miss a chip shot field goal, either of which would have won the game for Clemson in regulation. The Barners pulled it out in OT and the magical season unfolded for them.

So far Auburn has shown a porous defense and an offense that struggles on third down. With a defense that is giving up over five hundred yards a game and allowing 36 points per, they could easily be 0-2. Yet through some great special teams play, and clutch moments on both offense and defence, here they stand undefeated again.

Clemson is also undefeated, but they have not been tested. Auburn's roll can't go on forever, but this week they will find enough of what it takes to win.

Auburn 38 Clemson 35

Ole Miss travels to Nashville in a battle between the two teams picked as last in their respective divisions. While the Rebels have a solid defense, they really don't have much firepower on offense. Vanderbilt has won their first two games, including a nice win over U Conn, though the Huskies are not as fierce as they were a year ago. I like the Commodores to stay undefeated.

Vanderbilt 21 Ole Miss 17

Kentucky takes on back yard rival Louisville. The Cats have started slow in their first two games, but finished strong. They have way too much for "The Ville".

Kentucky 31 Louisville 17

After facing two ranked opponents to start the season, Georgia has a breather at home against Coastal Carolina. Georgia will roll on easily.

Georgia 52 Coastal Carolina 7

The Midshipmen of Navy take on USCe this week. The Gamecocks have far too much talent to struggle here.

South Carolina 47 Navy 14

Troy is the toughest opponent Arkansas has faced so far. While the Trojans are a tough team in their own class, they are stepping way out of it this week.

Arkansas 35 Troy 10

Usually when the Mean Green of North Texas is involved, RollTideRandy, previously incarnated as "The Resident College Football Expert" had a "North Texas hating pick". While I can't find it in me to hate a team as consistently pathetic as North Texas, I do regard them as the Texas equivalent of UAB footall. We should be able to score at will, and I expect everyone dressed to get on the field except for the injured and those being red shirted. I don't have a clue regarding Duron Carter.

Alabama 62 North Texas O

I'm up about a grand right now within two weeks...

Love SOME of your picks...:hyper:

When, in the last twenty or so years, do you feel comfortable taking Bama and the points? I took them last week for....well, never mind.

In order to limit the amount of time I spend on this I have restricted my weekly picks for the board to SEC games. Nonetheless, I like the Sooners in this one, in a game that could live up to its hype. I'll say OU 27, FSU 24.

right on, I'm curious to see which OU team shows up to play, will it be oklahoma or chokelahoma.

I am 16 and 4 at my work this year with the spread, the first week i only missed 1 but last week 3 got the best of me and i should have known better than to pick Mississippi State and South Carolina

I think these predictions are perfect.

I'm really hoping Vandy can get a bowl this year. I've even joked about them taking the East. I mean, no one is looking all that great this year so why not? ;)

Back
Top Bottom