| FTBL philosophical question

rnash

Verified Member
Which team do you guys think is better? Alabama 1978, Alabama 1992, Miami 1999, or Army 1948. Many of the talking heads consider the 1948 Army team to be the best team ever. They also consider the 1992 defense of Alabama to be the best in college football. What are your thoughts?

Well, I'm basically your age and was born in 1980, so I can only start with 'Bama '92.

From what I've seen in my life time and what I've seen from old film, I'd put our '92 "D" against anyone. This could be a bold remark to some, but I think the '92 Bama defense was the best in college football history.

In respect to best team ever...who knows?

I wonder what team could have defeated the '92 Bama team? What would have to be done? Outside of some sloppy wins in '92, no team could even compete with us.

You have to score to win, and I don't see any team scoring enough to beat the '92 Bama team.

~Bryan

BAMAFSTBACK said:
95 Nebraska. Look at the scores. Beat downs. Best NC team ever. I would love to see what our 92 defense could have done to them. Great debate anyway.

Fstback, my first reaction is the same--'95 Nebraska quicky comes to mind. I need to mull over this some more, though.

Speaking of defense, the 61 Bama team deserves some consideration as well.

Georgia - 32 - 6 (W)

Tulane - 9 - 0 (W)

Vanderbilt - 35 - 6 (W)

N.C. State - 26 - 7 (W)

Tennessee - 34 - 3 (W)

Houston - 17 - 0 (W)

Mississippi St. - 24 - 0 (W)

Richmond - 66 - 0 (W)

Georgia Tech - 10 - 0 (W)

Auburn - 34 - 0 (W)

Arkansas - 10 - 3 (W) (Sugar Bowl)

25 points allowed all season!

i am in my early 30's. i had friends that played college ball and i have been pretty atheletic myself.. i really think that the game has really changed in the last ten years. the numbers that i knew were good back then are average now. there are alot of highschool players that could match evenly on paper with the physical aspects of the teams you mentioned..

if you were to pull out 40 times, weight reps, ect, i think that teams get better every year.. schemes also get better every year..

i think that we are looking at some of the best teams in college football history right now, and next season we will see some better than these.

bear facts said:
BAMAFSTBACK said:
95 Nebraska. Look at the scores. Beat downs. Best NC team ever. I would love to see what our 92 defense could have done to them. Great debate anyway.

Fstback, my first reaction is the same--'95 Nebraska quicky comes to mind. I need to mull over this some more, though.

Speaking of defense, the 61 Bama team deserves some consideration as well.

Georgia - 32 - 6 (W)

Tulane - 9 - 0 (W)

Vanderbilt - 35 - 6 (W)

N.C. State - 26 - 7 (W)

Tennessee - 34 - 3 (W)

Houston - 17 - 0 (W)

Mississippi St. - 24 - 0 (W)

Richmond - 66 - 0 (W)

Georgia Tech - 10 - 0 (W)

Auburn - 34 - 0 (W)

Arkansas - 10 - 3 (W) (Sugar Bowl)

25 points allowed all season!

Factor you read my mind. The 1961 defense was the measuring stick by which all others are judged.

Did anyone else hear Corso state that USC defense this year is the best of all times. Even his partners could not believe he mad that statemnet. He is an idiot!
'92 was pretty good, but IMO 79 was stronger.

You can't compare these teams different eras, players, and coaching. Whose the best, they're all great in there on era. This debate is like comparing apples vs. oranges.

As for the question, I like the 92 team for one reason. That team would be bigger, stronger, and faster than any team. From the 40's -70's Thus, giving them the upper hand.

1999 Miami? :roll:

4th-and-1 said:
i am in my early 30's. i had friends that played college ball and i have been pretty atheletic myself.. i really think that the game has really changed in the last ten years. the numbers that i knew were good back then are average now. there are alot of highschool players that could match evenly on paper with the physical aspects of the teams you mentioned..

if you were to pull out 40 times, weight reps, ect, i think that teams get better every year.. schemes also get better every year..

i think that we are looking at some of the best teams in college football history right now, and next season we will see some better than these.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Speed and strength measured by how many iron circles you can pick up is not the end all and be all, this is college football. Football is about tough men in a tough game doing tough things.

College football players today are mentally weaker than at any time in the past. They are soft and sissified compared to players of the past.

Show me just one player who will rip his ear off to continue playing in a game today. Bully Vandegraff tried his best to rip his off.

Besides this whole comparison of earlier football players with modern football players is useless.

Football teams in the 20's,30's,40's,50's,60's,70's,80's, and 90's were as good as the competition was in those decades.

In the early days of college football, it was literally a death sport. The game was almost literally seen as a battle, a real battle.

Dead players were carted off the field every week, it was commonplace and for many years wasn't given a second thought.

In the same way we can smugly say that players today are better athletes than any before them, if fans from back then were still alive, they would laugh at the touchy feely, feel good rules enacted to protect human life.

So, you have to ask yourself if those players from back then were allowed to play in our day and time, would they be able to follow their breakneck and hardcore rules to neutralize our speed and supposed strength of today?

rolltide65 said:
Did anyone else hear Corso state that USC defense this year is the best of all times. Even his partners could not believe he mad that statemnet. He is an idiot!

Lots of defenses could be the best of all-time if they played in that conference. :roll:

porkchop said:
rolltide65 said:

Lots of defenses could be the best of all-time if they played in that conference. :roll:

In video games it's called stat padding. When USC played Washington, and WSU who's a combined 1-13 or something to that effect. It's not real hard to make you defense look good. USC sucks look what that powerhouse stanford did to them, yea they lost they still ripped them up and down the field.

USC overrated

I don't know,I think it may be the '04 Auburn Tigers... :lol: No I would like to have seen the '42
Army team play our '66 OFfense and '92 defense

Number1TideFan19 said:
I don't know,I think it may be the '04 Auburn Tigers... :lol: No I would like to have seen the '42

Why would you want to see the '42 Army team face what is quite possibly the best defense to ever set foot on a field and a very good offense?

rnash said:
Which team do you guys think is better? Alabama 1978, Alabama 1992, Miami 1999, or Army 1948. Many of the talking heads consider the 1948 Army team to be the best team ever. They also consider the 1992 defense of Alabama to be the best in college football. What are your thoughts?

The '48 Army team isn't even considered the best Army team among Army fans.

CtrlAltieDel said:
Number1TideFan19 said:

Why would you want to see the '42 Army team face what is quite possibly the best defense to ever set foot on a field and a very good offense?

The stats.My Buddy Chuck(Ret. Army) Played for them in '42. So I'm just wanting to see an epic game.I could just wait til Dec.6

Number1TideFan19 said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
Number1TideFan19 said:

The stats.My Buddy Chuck(Ret. Army) Played for them in '42. So I'm just wanting to see an epic game.I could just wait til Dec.6

Seems like you would want the best Army team to face our best, if you are doing the best against best thing. In 1942, Army lost 3 games, not exactly world shakers.

CtrlAltieDel said:
Number1TideFan19 said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
Number1TideFan19 said:

Seems like you would want the best Army team to face our best, if you are doing the best against best thing. In 1942, Army lost 3 games, not exactly world shakers.

:D I meant '48... :?

Back
Top Bottom