| FTBL Phil Steele's Projected Final 4

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
"I am very proud that my magazine was the most accurate in 2014, the most accurate the last 3 years, the most accurate the last 5 years, last 10 years, last 17 years, etc. I do not stop working on football once the magazine comes out. Check out the team pages on philsteele.com(Here) for all the updated stats each week. During the season, I work anywhere from 100-104 hours a week on football including a 21 hour Saturday. I have 12 TV’s that I watch, taking in the action all day long. I go thru every box score and play by play for each game. With that said, each week I will have a blog where I project my final 4 for the playoffs.

In my magazine, my top 40 is based on where I think the teams will FINISH, not where I would rank them at the start of the year. This is NOT where I would have the teams ranked currently if I was an AP Voter, it is where I feel the teams will finish this year. With that said, here are my current 4 teams to make the playoff."

OHIO STATE
DBOct21A_clip_image002_0000.png
The preseason No.1 Ohio State Buckeyes still have the best shot of making the playoffs despite their struggles this year. They only have road games at Rutgers, Illinois and arch rival Michigan left. They get to host Michigan State. Ohio State still figures to be at least a touchdown favorite in every single game and favored in the Big Ten title game and should remain No.1 throughout the year.

ALABAMA
DBOct21A_clip_image004.png
The Tide has the best defense in the country, one of the best offensive lines, RB Derrick Henry, and an improving QB in Jake Coker. While LSU is undefeated and in a lot of folks final four right now, Alabama gets that game at home. The Tide will be favored in every game the rest of the way and with that defense, might just be the best team in the FBS right now. There is no doubt a one loss Alabama team makes the playoffs.

TCU
DBOct21A_clip_image006.png
I am a voter in the Super 16 Poll for the FWAA and in that poll I currently have Baylor #1. They are playing the best ball of any team in the country and just blow out their opponents each week. If they were to play TCU THIS WEEK at a neutral site, I would favor the Bears by a TD. The reason I have TCU in my final four is that they get that key game against Baylor at home and catch Baylor in the middle of a hellacious November schedule and traveling on a short week. TCU’s injury plagued defense will either have the injured players back or the young guys they have filling in right now will all be experienced by week 12 of the season. Boykin vs Russell is a Heisman playoff battle as well.

STANFORD
DBOct21A_clip_image008.png
Yes, Stanford has a loss, but they continue to get better by the week. Christian McCaffrey has a shot at breaking Barry Sanders record for all purpose yards in a season and he and Barry’s son run behind one of the top OL’s in the country. The defense is not as strong as past Stanford editions, but is still solid and last week gave up 2 long garbage drives to UCLA when leading 56-21, which hurt their stats. They have a veteran senior QB in Kevin Hogan, one of the best head coaches in the country, and their only remaining road trips are at Wash St and Colorado. I see them winning the Pac 12 title and making the playoffs.

Just outside the mix:

Phil Steele

The winner of Clemson and FSU will be undefeated. The Tigers/Seminoles get left out as an undefeated and Stanford and Alabama get in with a loss... how does that work again? I don't see it, but what do I know?

That's it, but I can't see the winner of the two losing to anyone else on their schedule. Unless FSU wins and then Florida takes them down. Geesh, this is too much for my ut/Bama anticipating-addled brain.

I'm not sold on Stanford, wouldn't surprise me if Notre Dame beats them.

I'll be shocked if an injured TCU beats Baylor, but TCU gets them at home at Amon G Carter. I haven't been to a game there since they've done all the integration, cool environment though. I went to the Utah game a few years ago and it was packed, can't imagine what the Baylor game will be like. Still gonna see if I can score some reasonable tickets to this game.

Back
Top Bottom