| LIFE Operation Empty Nest

Empty nest is when your kids leave the house.
I was making a joke. You see daughter and her three children came back to live with us! I had to go rent a house for her to move out! Now her oldest is with us and her three children are now with us! Both got crapped husbands, this is and why both have moved in with us! :ROFLMAO:

I've plowed 4-5 times now, takes me about 1.5 hours to do the driveway and 1/4 mile section prior to a steep hill.

Starting to get the hang of this and figuring out what else I need. Definitely snow chains, just don't have the budget right now. Also need some wing extensions on the front to push the edges out a bit further. Next year I'll get some beet juice in the tires for extra weight.

7' hydraulic blade on the front and a 6' offset rear blade.

This tractor is going to be super handy year round.

i-jMsnVtP-X2.jpg

I've plowed 4-5 times now, takes me about 1.5 hours to do the driveway and 1/4 mile section prior to a steep hill.

Starting to get the hang of this and figuring out what else I need. Definitely snow chains, just don't have the budget right now. Also need some wing extensions on the front to push the edges out a bit further. Next year I'll get some beet juice in the tires for extra weight.

7' hydraulic blade on the front and a 6' offset rear blade.

This tractor is going to be super handy year round.

i-jMsnVtP-X2.jpg

That's an outstanding setup. Did it come with a bucket for the front as well?

Finally got the rest of the gang up to Montana. Still have a few more hurdles, but its nice that we're making progress. COVID-19 has definitely made things more interesting and challenging. I opted to stay away from Colorado, I25 is a frustrating stretch of road from Pueblo to Cheyenne.

We drove up to McCook, Nebraska the first leg. Was roughly 11 hours of driving, and a few stops for fuel, restroom, food, and stretching the legs. We had breakfast at Fuller Family Restaurant in McCook on Monday morning, where 5 or 6 pieces of bacon is the norm as a side. The owner has a massive collection of cookie jars on display, over 3000.

The 2nd leg of the journey took us to Billings which was another 11 hour drive. We stayed with family for the night and the dogs got to stretch the legs in a fenced backyard, this was definitely needed.

The final stretch was roughly 5 hours. Had some breakfast at Stella's Kitchen in downtown Billings. On the way outta town we dropped off the car hauler off which made it a bit easier to drive the passes.

Picture below is from the cookie jar collection where 3 of the 4 walls looked like this.

i-VDL2Hc3-X2.jpg

Congrats @planomateo for getting the family to Montana. I know that helps to have everyone in one location. My best to all of you as you go forward. When things straighten out with this COVID-19 and our own situation so we can travel again, we'll plan a restaurant meet and eat together when we're up that way.

Congrats @planomateo for getting the family to Montana. I know that helps to have everyone in one location. My best to all of you as you go forward. When things straighten out with this COVID-19 and our own situation so we can travel again, we'll plan a restaurant meet and eat together when we're up that way.

I'm gonna hold you to it, we'd love to have you stay with us!

Farmers almanac indicates this will be a more cold and wet winter. Should be fun...

We've been under heavy smoke conditions the last few weeks. All the fires from Cali, Oregon, Idaho are in the jet stream and stuck thanks to an inversion layer here. I can only imagine what it's like living with the fire much closer. The conditions must be terrible for those people.

Power ran to the house, so we are now on the grid, soon to be selling power back to the grid from our solar array. We'll have solar and generator backup power if we lose power. The tractor has been very helpful as I've had to repair the road. They used a ripper to bury the cable and it dug up some major boulders I've had to deal with.

Wood stove installed. Have a truckload (18 cords) of wood getting delivered next week, 45' in length. Expect to process about 5 cords over the next month. We now have a secondary heat source.

Water heaters, domestic tankless unit replaced. In floor heating unit to be replaced in the coming days.

Tractor chains ordered, going with chains from Finland.

Have decided on Nokian studded tires for our winter vehicle. Should make driving on ice much easier and less adventurous than this past year. Oh the stories I have...

Early next spring, going to tackle the garden, greenhouse, and a chicken coop. Been slowly getting some used material for this. 10' tpost, deer fence, etc.

Haven't decided on how I'm going to store the wood yet, this season I'm just going to get them off the ground. Will end up building a shed for the wood next summer.

Still on the hunt for an older snowmobile...

@planomateo , just got caught up with this thread. Man! what a beautiful place. Mrs. Bamabww and I loved the pictures. Are you glad you got a cab on the tractor now?
Being on the grid will help I'm sure. Daughters adjusted to living in Heaven instead of Hell?
Fly fishing successful this past summer? Happy you're getting to live your dream.

We still have quite a few loose ends we're dealing with, but imagine the next 2-3 years will be busy making this place ours. We have quite a few large projects remaining, both inside and outside.

Yeah, pretty stoked to be living here. Being able to see my wife's parents every month is a really nice change. Getting to explore Montana is a treat.

The cab on the tractor at times is a hassle, but is helpful in the cold, snow, and rain.

The housing market in Missoula is insane. More and more people are able to work remote now thanks to COVID-19 and they're ending up here in Montana. Houses are selling site unseen, selling for $20k or better over asking price. Rental market is almost 0% availability as well.

Regretfully I've got zero time in fly fishing this year. I've got way to many projects on my plate for the foreseeable future. I need to make the time.

It's been damn cold of the last few days.

Tractor didn't want to start at all yesterday, let it warm up a bit in the sun and was able to get the plowing done. Still don't have the chains on the tractor, ended up helping a neighbor with a stuck truck yesterday during the later part of the Tennessee game.

The little Rav4 with studded snow tires is pretty capable vehicle. Bought it with 220k miles for the purpose of winter driving. The studded tires are shure footed on the ice around town.

This morning...

I don’t watch much TV, and I’m sorry for the thread hijack, but caught an episode of “Homestead Rescue”. It made me all the more realize how sensibly and thoughtfully you’ve achieved all you’ve done.

Make a plan and work it relentlessly 😁

Covid-19 threw in some challenges and unnecessary stress, but it all has worked out in the end.

Glad we bought when we did, the market here is on fire. We have a great little place to call home for the rest of our lives.

Still have a significant list of todos the next few years.

I love a straight shift. I have an '09 Camry 5 speed, I'm up 378,000 miles on it and I'm still on the original clutch. My 3-5 shift generally occurs when I have a large cup in the front cupholder...

We bought this one with 223k on it.

Needs new shocks all around. Getting my parts list together, I only use OEM parts. Also getting the necessary parts for a drive line fluid replacement.

Back
Top Bottom