| LIFE Operation Empty Nest

The practical side of me says get a 4wd tractor or a skid steer, I can add a V Plow, snowblower to help manage snow. The M1078 would almost be unstoppable uphill regardless of the snow depth. Changing fluids on the M1078 is expensive, probably 100+ qts of fluid between the engine, transmission, and axles.

I have all my mail going to the PO Box, which is almost across the street from this place ;).

Kettlehouse Amphitheater - our house is back in the hills (~15 miles) behind the stage from the angle this is taken from.

Social-live-1-KettleHouse-Amphitheater-1024x536.jpg

The practical side of me says get a 4wd tractor or a skid steer, I can add a V Plow, snowblower to help manage snow. The M1078 would almost be unstoppable uphill regardless of the snow depth. Changing fluids on the M1078 is expensive, probably 100+ qts of fluid between the engine, transmission, and axles.

I have all my mail going to the PO Box, which is almost across the street from this place ;).

Kettlehouse Amphitheater - our house is back in the hills (~15 miles) behind the stage from the angle this is taken from.

Social-live-1-KettleHouse-Amphitheater-1024x536.jpg

Very nice. I would lean to the 4wd tractor to give you year round utility, as long as it can really do the job in the winter. It's hard not to appreciate a tractor on some acreage.

It's a real treat being in Montana during this time of the year.

Had plenty of deer on the property and at least 1 female turkey.

I finally got to see an elk on the property about 50' from the house. It was a darker one than the one below and the photos didn't come out very well due to the sunlight in the background. Hard for me to walk around without spooking them.

Two lighter ones showed up this morning along with the turkey. I think the turkey spooked them.

Here is a good photo of one of the two. I was able to open a window and get a few good photos. I'll upload a few more later today.

i-XPNfMhq-X2.jpg

Planning on purchasing a fly rod/reel and working on casting this weekend in the yard.

There is a creek near me that's supposedly pretty good fishing. I took a few photos from the top of the range (roughly 6000 ft elevation). Getting up there really isn't a challenge this time of year, just jump on a logging road for about 10 miles. As you can see, it's incredibly beautiful up there.

i-2xvPQhS-X2.jpg

Drive into town with snow capped mountains.

i-GHPFKHF-X2.jpg

The resident bad ass. The deer and elk want nothing to do with the turkey.

i-76TSPSf-X2.jpg

Elk trying to figure out what the noise was, I opened the window so I could snap a photo.

i-hJXNndX-X2.jpg

Quick photo from this evening.

i-fGK6cCD-X2.jpg

Picked this up Saturday at one of the local fly shops. Won't be able to get on the water for 10 days, can't get an in-state fishing license until I get a MT drivers license. Difference is ~$100 between in-state and out-of-state licenses.

i-wKL2KSd-X2.jpg

Hehehe, I'll be eating turkey in Texas this year, but next year I'll be eating turkey in Montana.

One of the neighbors has an amazing chicken coop...no shit - raised concrete heated floors. I hope to have a chicken coop setup next summer, although it may slip a year due to lots of other things on the to-do list next summer. But fresh eggs sounds awesome!

With the chicken coop I'll have to deal with the mountain lions and bobcats. The same neighbor that has the high end chicken coop had a black bear at this place recently. I've heard someone saw a grizzly in the larger area.

I walked the property a bit more today, starting to get an idea of what I want to do in the future. I need to create some trails, thin the trees out a bit more in certain areas, and cut a trail along the fence line so I can drive it with a 4wheeler or a side by side.

I've got a decent list of purchases, most I can't afford at the moment, but should be able to pull the trigger on most of these by next summer. Hopefully the used market treats me well up here.
  1. Snowplow
  2. Snowmobile
  3. 4wheeler/UTV
  4. Tractor / skidsteer
  5. Riding lawnmower
  6. Upgrade solar panels
  7. Chicken coop
  8. Vehicle lift in the garage
  9. Greenhouse

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom