| FTBL OL First Round NFL draft picks...

2022 had 1 - Evan Neal

2021 had 1 & close 2nd round pick - Alex Leatherwood then Landon Dickerson

2020 had 1 - Jedrick Wills

2019 had 1 - Jonah Williams

2017 had 1 & close 2nd round, 2nd pick - OJ Howard then Cam Robinson

2016 had 1 - Ryan Kelly

2013 had 1 - Chance Warmack

2011 had 1 - James Carpenter

2009 had 1 - Andre Smith

I can't think of any on the roster right now that are even solid 2nd or 3rd round draft pics. This is a glaring issue for this team.

*Corrections & Updated...

Scouting + coaching development is lacking severely. It's seeing a big issue on defense as well. Only one first round draft pick (Patrick Surtain) since 2018.

'21 and '22 might be Saban's worst coaching staff ever.

Re: OL... Latham and Booker will top prospects when they're eligible, but there have certainly been some misses in recruiting there. Ekiyor was trending up in the spring, but I'm not sure that's still the case (injuries haven't helped). Should be noted though that OL is likely the most difficult position to evaluate these days from HS to college. Besides figuring out their on field ability ceiling, you have to account for guys like the Brockermeyer brothers who've had difficulty adding weight/strength. The good news IMO, is Wolford is a good fit for the staff in a lot of ways. Overall OL depth is an issue that will need to be addressed through development, recruiting, and/or the portal after the season.

The final “rankings” don’t really count until the scouting combine, pro days and individual team meetings are completed. That’s how the players from Whatsamatter U and teams that didn’t have stellar seasons get into the mix.

I think some of it is team need in the NFL. We’ve had some absolute studs on the OL and they weren’t picked int he 1st round, but obviously the last several years there’s been a real lack of talent and development on the line

2021 had 1

2020 had 1 & close 2nd round, 5th pick

2019 had 1

2017 had 1 & close 2nd round, 2nd pick

2016 had 1

2013 had 1

2011 had 1

2009 had 1

I can't think of any on the roster right now that are even solid 2nd or 3rd round draft pics. This is a glaring issue for this team.
1 rounds likely picks: Young, Anderson and Branch
2nd round -Ricks, Too'Too, Gibbs
3rd round to 5th round-Battle, Ekiyor , Latu

1 rounds likely picks: Young, Anderson and Branch
2nd round -Ricks, Too'Too, Gibbs
3rd round to 5th round-Battle, Ekiyor , Latu
Ricks would do better to stay, Gibbs moved up to 1st round this year. Some of these NFL coaches overvalue the catching RB playstyle so he will likely go higher than expected. Too'too I would expect to see in the late 2nd to early 3rd.

Ricks if he comes out this year would be a 3rd or 4th rounder, injury history, and not seeing the field in a very bad secondary at Bama throws up a lot of red flags.

I'd say Latu is likely a final draft day 5-7 spot but the other two make sense in 3-5.

There's a few more contributors I'd guess will go in the draft this year -

Byron Young - 4-7
Dj Dale - 5-7
Demarco Hellams - 5-7
Will Reichard - 5-7

Ricks would do better to stay, Gibbs moved up to 1st round this year. Some of these NFL coaches overvalue the catching RB playstyle so he will likely go higher than expected. Too'too I would expect to see in the late 2nd to early 3rd.

Ricks if he comes out this year would be a 3rd or 4th rounder, injury history, and not seeing the field in a very bad secondary at Bama throws up a lot of red flags.

I'd say Latu is likely a final draft day 5-7 spot but the other two make sense in 3-5.

There's a few more contributors I'd guess will go in the draft this year -

Byron Young - 4-7
Dj Dale - 5-7
Demarco Hellams - 5-7
Will Reichard - 5-7
Ricks been projected 1st round in several mock draft. Gibbs been projected late 1st to early 2nd

I personally don't think we have any draft quality linemen at this point. As broken as we looked this year, false starts, sacks etc, it was a rough year for that position.

That's my sentiment exactly. The toughness of any football team comes from the line of scrimmage & we haven't had that in a while. The results are very clear. OL play has been average the last two years with the exception of Evan Neal.

Back
Top Bottom