| OT Oft. A tenant of mine. The criticism of ESPN, Sportscenter, and their ilk. May I remind you of "one big thing?"

I would watch a very new sport show while I was on CQ (charge of quarters) in the Day Room. This was in the early 1980. I would watch the Pac 8. ABC would only show USC and UCLA at this time. I would watch these teams that would toss the ball all over the field.

ESPN peaked when they had the golden years of College Football Final with Rece, May, and Holtz. A slightly higher peak than it had with Baseball Tonight rolling with Ravich, Kurkjian, Peter Gammons, and Dave Campbell.

I used to stay up all night watching CFB Final. When I was away, I would record it. Rece, May, and Holtz had a great thing going. Even CFB Live was fantastic. ESPN ended up screwing with it, not retaining May or Holtz, and turned both into a knock off version of First Take. It's garbage now and I refuse to watch it. I doubt I'll ever watch any of it again.

Now. I completely forgot that college football final. I did watch. Anything with lou holtz was entertaining. Mark may ok also.
Holtz was a ND homer, but it still attracted viewers. Mark May definitely had an SEC bias and was anti Ohio State (to the point where BuckeyePlanet, an OSU forum, subbed out "bull shit" for Mark May), but everyone still watched. ESPN did what ESPN always does and fucked with something that wasn't broke.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom