| NEWS Oats talks Beetle Bolden, Jahvon Quinerly on SEC teleconference - 247Sports

B

Bama News

Alabama's Nate Oats says waiver process for Quinerly may be “more difficult” - TideSports.com

University of Alabama basketball coach Nate Oats said on Thursday that new NCAA guideline recommendations regarding the issuance of transfer waivers could make an appeal by Crimson Tide guard Jahvon Quinerly “more difficult,” but added that Quinerly, who transferred from Villanova and is seeking a waiver related to false accusations that arose in the Federal fraud trial of former Arizona assistant coach Book Richardson, “has a great case.”

Oats was speaking on the SEC’s summer basketball teleconference along with the league’s other 13 coaches.

“I’m guessing it will make it more difficult,” Oats said when asked about the guidelines, which are designed to bring more standardization to the unpredictable waiver process. “I don’t really know. It seems like they fluctuate every couple of years. They say they’re going to get more strict, and they get more strict for a year or two and then all of a sudden, they start granting a lot more waivers and then they get back to being more strict. So, I’m hoping we just caught the bad end of the pendulum swing with that.”

Quinerly, a 2018 McDonald’s All-American, is currently enrolled at UA and going through skills work with the Crimson Tide team. He would need an NCAA waiver in order to be eligible for the 2019-2020 season.

“I do think he’s got a really good case,” Oats said. “Our compliance office thinks he has a great case with just being accused of being put under the spotlight of that FBI when their family had nothing to do with that. It’s (unfortunate) that somebody else lied about him and he was put in a precarious situation that affected his freshman year in a real negative light.

“He needs a fresh start. It’s not one of those deals, though, where he’s going back close to home, so I don’t know how it will affect it. I’m going to let our compliance handle that. I think Jahvon’s in a great place. Hopefully, we’ll get him to play. If not, he’s going to be working hard, and we’re going to get him a lot better if he’s not able to play this year. So, either way, we’ll be alright.”

Oats also commented on another transfer guard, Beetle Bolden of West Virginia, who arrived on campus last weekend.

“Beetle was held out of the first workout just as they were getting some stuff from West Virginia stating he had graduated,” Oats said. “He’s actually coming off some injuries at West Virginia, so he’s held him out of some of the live stuff just to ease him back into everything. But he doesn’t miss much. In all the shooting drills, he’s immediately one of the best shooters on the team, which that’s the biggest reason we brought him in — because we needed shooting.

“He’s also a leader. He’s our only senior on the team, and he’s vocal. Even when he’s not in the drills, he’s been pretty vocal. His freshman and sophomore years, they won a lot of games at West Virginia, so he knows how to win. Hopefully, we can get him healthy, he can bring us some shooting and some leadership and help us win a lot of games next year.”

Oats continues to express optimism about the upcoming season.

“Obviously, we’ve got a somewhat new roster,” he said. “I think seven out our 13 guys will be new (with) six returning guys. I like our talent. It’s great that Kira Lewis is playing on the USA U19 Team (in the FIBA U-19 World Cup in Greece beginning on Saturday.) That will give him some great experience. He’s one of the better point guards in the country, so it’s nice to walk in your first year and have a really talented point guard, especially with the way that we play and how fast we play, and he’s one of the better transition point guards in the country.

“We’ve got four juniors (John Petty, Herb Jones, Alex Reese and Galin Smith) and I think those guys came in as a pretty heralded class — they came in with Collin Sexton, and he’s been in the NBA. So, hopefully, these four will play with a little bit more of a chip on their shoulder. They’ve got something to prove.”

Alabama men’s basketball coach Nate Oats participated in his first SEC teleconference on Thursday, as the league made all 14 men’s basketball head coaches available. Below is what Oats said about his current Crimson Tide roster and some rules changes in college basketball.

“Obviously, we’ve got a somewhat new roster. I think seven out our 13 guys will be new, six returning guys. I like our talent. It’s great that Kira Lewis is playing on the USA U19 Team. I think that will give him some great experience. He’s one of the better point guards in the country, so it’s nice to walk in your first year and have a really talented point guard, especially with the way that we play and how fast we play, and he’s one of the better transition point guards in the country. So, he’s good. We’ve got talent to go around him. We’ve only got one senior, and he’s new, so we don’t have seniors that have been in the program. We’ve got four juniors. I think those guys came in in a pretty heralded class -- they came in with Collin Sexton, and he’s been in the NBA. So, hopefully, these four will play with a little bit more of a chip on their shoulder like they’ve got something to prove. I do think they’re talented enough to win a decent amount of games, but we’re trying to change some of the culture and it’s going to be a little bit different. We’re going to play a little different style and we’re trying to -- at least offensively. We’re not spending a ton of time on the defensive side of the ball here in the summer, but offensively, we’re trying to get them used to our pace of play, how we want to play offensively.”

Question: Can you give an update on Beetle Bolden and what you’ve seen from him?

Nate Oats: “Beetle got here this past weekend. He was held out of the first workout just as they were getting some stuff from West Virginia stating he had graduated and all that stuff. And then our trainer, he’s actually coming off some injuries at West Virginia, so he’s held him out of some of the live stuff just to ease him back into everything. But shoot, he doesn’t miss much. In all the shooting drills, he’s immediately one of the best shooters on the team, which that’s the biggest reason we brought in because we needed shooting. So, he’s going to definitely provide shooting. He’s also a leader. He’s our only senior on the team, and he’s vocal. Even when he’s not in the drills, he’s been pretty vocal. His freshman and sophomore years, they won a lot of games at West Virginia, so he knows how to win. Hopefully, we can get him healthy, he can bring us some shooting and some leadership and help us win a lot of games next year.”

Q: How do you expect the new rules about waiver restrictions will have Jahvon Quinerly’s waiver request?

NO: “I’m guessing it will make it more difficult. I don’t really know. It seems like they fluctuate every couple of years. They say they’re going to get more strict, and they get more strict for a year or two and then all of a sudden, they start granting a lot more waivers and then they get back to being more strict. So, I’m hoping we just caught the bad end of the pendulum swing with that. But I do think he’s got a really good case. Our compliance office thinks he has a great case with just being accused of being put under the spotlight of that FBI when their family had nothing to do with that. It’s fortunate that somebody else lied about him and he kind of was put in a precarious situation that kind of affected his freshman year in a real negative light and he needed a fresh start. It’s not one of those deals, though, where he’s going back close to home, so I don’t know how it will affect it. I’m going to let our compliance handle that. I think Jahvon’s in a great place. Hopefully, we’ll get him to play. If not, he’s going to be working hard, and we’re going to get him a lot better if he’s not able to play this year. So, either way, we’ll be alright.”

Q: With all the transition this offseason, how is your team bonding from a mental standpoint?

NO: “We still don’t have our full roster together. Beetle just got here a few days ago. James Rojas won’t be here until fall starts there in the middle of August because he had to do some summer course to get eligible. But with the current guys we’ve got, we’ve got 11 on scholarship, I think they’re starting to figure each other out. We did a retreat up in Buffalo like the last couple summers. We’re going to do that here, but we’re not going to do it until August when everybody’s here. I think that helps a lot. We’ve been doing some team-building stuff. I’m up in Buffalo right now, I’m making the call here from Buffalo. We’re getting the moving truck packed and are supposed to pull out this weekend. Once I’m there permanently, we can have the team over to the house and all that stuff. I think that stuff matters, I think it means a lot. It’ll be nice once we can do some of that here in July and August. But I think the new guys are meshing well with the returners. Right now, it’s about half and half, so I like the way our roster’s coming around.”

Q: Wanted to get your thoughts on the new rules changes with the 3-point line and the 20-second clock reset and if you think those are good? Bad? Or how they’ll impact the game?

NO: “I like both of them. We play fast, so anything to get more possessions in the game, I’m up for that. We’re not going to hold the ball for more than 20 seconds after an offensive board anyways, so that will never affect us on offense. It’ll hopefully affect us on defense when other teams will try to hold the ball on us are able to do it a little bit less with less time. The 3-point line, we’ve got the NBA 3-point line down on our practice floor anyways. We give four points for an NBA three. We’re trying to get our guys keeping their range up to spread the floor even further even before the rule was put in place. So, now that that’s in place, hopefully, it will spread the floor out. Obviously, you have to have shooters that can shoot it from behind that line, which I think we do. So, as long as your guys can shoot from that range, it will spread the floor even further, which plays into how we play. So, I was for both of those.”

Anyone got any idea on his chances? 50% 75% 25%? Haven't a clue%
Consider this.

The majority of the kids that have hired legal counsel have had their appeals/waivers approved.
The majority of the kids who have used their school's compliance department have had t heir appeals/waivers denied.
JQ is using the compliance department.

100% sure of "not having a clue."

This sounds retroactive to the new decision so all these kids that have been waiting for months now are prpbably going to fall under the new definition. Do we have any football players we were waiting on?

Back
Top Bottom