| FTBL O Line

XXL TideFan

Seer
I haven’t found a great deal to read concerning out O line headed into the fall. I have found even less that was written by anyone that could actually researched and wrote about it.
Anyone in the know?

I haven’t found a great deal to read concerning out O line headed into the fall. I have found even less that was written by anyone that could actually researched and wrote about it.
Anyone in the know?
If I had my Phill Steele magazine I could answer that question. UPS gave it to USPS so it is delayed another day. Steele ranks the Top 50-60 OLs and comments on the Top 15. Had Bama's ranked #6 in 2021

Yep Bama's season will probably make or break based on the development and play of the OL. I am in a wait and see because it was generously average last year.

Yep Bama's season will probably make or break based on the development and play of the OL. I am in a wait and see because it was generously average last year.
Probably....but even at OL last year....1 or 2 major injuries late in season from NC

Surely with all Oline talent recruited...somebody can put a group together...that will give BY some help

Wolford_Eric.jpg

My hope, is that this will be the key difference from last years average O line.

"Eric Wolford joined Alabama head coach Nick Saban's staff in January of 2022 to coach the Crimson Tide's offensive line.

Wolford spent the 2021 season at Kentucky rebuilding a Wildcats' offensive front that lost three starters into a unit that was a finalist for the Joe Moore Award. The Wildcats averaged 5.23 yards per carry last year while 53.1 percent of their rush attempts went for four yards or more, which led the nation.

Wolford inherits an Alabama offensive line that returns three starters off the 2021 SEC Championship team but must replace left tackle Evan Neal, who is expected to be a first-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

A highly regarded recruiter, he arrives in Tuscaloosa with 26 years of coaching experience, including two seasons with the San Francisco 49ers in 2015 and 2016. Prior to Kentucky, Wolford spend four seasons on Will Muschamp's staff at South Carolina.

In 2020 at South Carolina, Wolford's unit helped pave the way for running back Kevin Harris to lead the SEC in rushing with 1,138 yards, becoming just the ninth player in USC history to rush for over 1,000 yards. In 2019, the offensive line helped five different running backs rush for more than 100 yards in a game.

During his first year in Columbia in 2017, Carolina's number of sacks allowed dipped from 41 in 2016, the year prior to Wolford's arrival, to 29 in 2017 and to 23 in 2018, the fewest since the 2013 season. Even more impressive, in SEC play the sacks allowed number dropped from 31 in 2016, to 18 in 2017, to just 12 in 2018.

Off the field, Wolford was named a top-25 recruiter by Rivals.com once the signatures were in for the 2018 signing class.

Wolford spent five seasons (2010-14) in his hometown as the head coach at Youngstown State. After a 3-8 mark in his first season, the Penguins compiled a 28-18 mark over his final four campaigns. His teams were ranked in the top-10 three times and broke 32 school records during his tenure.

Highlights included a 2012 win over Pitt - the first win over a BCS team in school history, and a 2011 win over top-ranked North Dakota State, while overseeing the squad's highest GPA on record for four consecutive seasons.

Prior to his first head coaching job, Wolford served as South Carolina's run game coordinator and offensive line coach in 2009 under head coach Steve Spurrier after a two-year stint at Illinois where he held a similar post.

Under Wolford's tutelage, the Illini, who played in the 2008 Rose Bowl game, led the Big Ten in rushing (2007) and passing (2008), while topping the 5,000-yard mark in total offense for just the third and fourth times in school history. Wolford was a Rivals Top-20 National Recruiter in 2008.

Wolford spent three seasons (2004-06) at Arizona as the offensive line coach, where he was on the same staff as Mark Stoops. UA led the league in fewest sacks allowed in 2004 and was second in 2005. He was also an integral part of back-to-back top-25 recruiting classes.

Wolford spent the 2003 season at North Texas, where his offensive line paved the way for tailback Patrick Cobbs, who earned the Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Year Award. Wolford also helped lead UNT to its third consecutive bid to the New Orleans Bowl.

Before joining North Texas, Wolford enjoyed three-year stints at both Houston and South Florida. While at Houston, he coached a number of positions, spanning offense, defense and special teams, while coaching five all-conference players. He had the unique experience of coaching in the first three seasons of the USF football program, helping to lead the Bulls to a pair of winning seasons.

Wolford began his coaching career at his alma mater, Kansas State, where he worked as a graduate assistant with the offensive line under John Latina. He then spent two years as the offensive line and strength coach at Emporia State.

Wolford was a four-year starter as an offensive guard at K-State under Bill Snyder, starting 34 games in his career. During his senior year, the Wildcats won the school's first bowl game in the 1993 Copper Bowl. After college, Wolford signed a free-agent contract with the Arizona Cardinals before returning to Manhattan to embark on his coaching career.

A native of Youngstown, Ohio, Wolford attended Ursuline High School where he was enshrined into the school's athletics Hall of Fame in 2009. He received his bachelor's degree in social sciences with a focus on monetary policy and banking from Kansas State in 1994. He and his wife, Melinda, have two children, Stone and Marlee.

Eric and Melinda started a non-profit organization, inspired by their son, Stone, who was diagnosed with Cardiofaciocutaneous Syndrome (CFC Syndrome) as a baby. Their foundation is called the No Stone Unturned Foundation and is dedicated to embracing, engaging, and empowering children with special needs and their families, with a major focus on any child with any disability. For more information on the No Stone Unturned Foundation, visit the website NSUF.org."

Last edited:
I am being captain obvious but there are three keys to the offensive line this season.

1. Left tackle. Obviously we have to protect Bryce. Left tackle was the obvious strength last year and it could be a big weakness. I know that our new coach is high on Tyler Steen and he definitely has experience but certainly not as big, as strong, or as athletic as Neal was. I know not many are, but it's going to be a big change from last year. Ability to hold up against a pure rush and ability to run block will be huge for him.

2. Center. A lot of people think Dalcourt is extremely talented. This may be the case but he seemed to have a lot of failings during the year last year. Not sure how much of that could have been injury related. You have to keep the ball secure to the quarterback and you have to be able to make calls. Both of these were weaknesses. He is a big strong guy and I'm not sure he got beat very much.

On the other hand McLaughlin seems to do very well in making calls. Of course this is huge. There didn't seem to be any snap problems. But we saw times where he got blown up a bit. I'm not sure if he can get a lot stronger? He can't get bigger. He's young. Maybe his technique can improve and help him? But we have to nail down this position.

3. Chemistry. That seemed to be lacking last year - it may have been due to distraction, coaching, injuries, or a combination, but chemistry was definitely lacking. I think that our new coach is going to definitely improve that but the five guys have to work together. They seemed to really come together for the SEC championship and that's a good model moving forward.

Lathan will be even more seasoned to play right tackle so I don't think that's going to be a problem. Overall, I think our guard play, in terms of individuals, is great. So Steen, apparently, and the center position, are going to make or break our year, and it's up to Coach Wolford to get it together for us

I read this yesterday on the Reddit RollTide board:

Let's Talk About...Offensive Line

# 2021 Review

I refuse to start by dumping on a 13-2 team, so let me preface with this: 2021 was a fun year. For much of the season Bama really struggled to close out games and played a number of teams much closer than they should have. Then against Auburn, with their backs against the wall the team had to grow up all at once. But they believed in themselves, played with pride and dedication, never quit, and fought their way to a 4OT win in (what was, up until just recently) the Jordan-Hare House of Horrors. And the most beautiful part of the season was how they applied the same principles in Atlanta: finding themselves down 10-0 to the #1 team in the country, Bama never blinked, surging back to win by three scores and ultimately earn a National Championship Game berth. There, beaten and battered, they came up a quarter short of number 19, but through it all, they showed their class and never quit.

Now, about the offensive line…

It was bad. Bad enough to make Ears Whitworth wince.

Run blocking they managed a paltry 4.11 YPC—the lowest since Bama barely topped 4.0 in 2007. Failing to top 100 yards on the ground against Florida set off early warning bells. Then against LSU, the run game effectively disappeared, with 26 attempts managing a mere six yards against a team bad enough that they were already looking for a new coach. At Auburn, the line struggled once again, before producing a shockingly strong performance against Georgia. Unfortunately, in Indianapolis, the Bulldogs’ defensive line reasserted itself to hold Bama to barely one yard per carry.

Pass blocking they played even worse, giving up 41 sacks—the worst since a school record 43 in 1996. If giving up four sacks apiece to Texas A&M and LSU revealed a serious problem, then Arkansas teeing off for four more should’ve set off some sort of emergency alarm. Auburn alone took Bryce Young to the turf seven times, in what felt like the worst single-game offensive line performance since 2005’s infamous “Honk If You Sacked Brodie” Iron Bowl. Georgia’s tactically questionable decision to eschew the blitz seemed an important factor in Atlanta, but they corrected the mistake in racking up four sacks in Indianapolis. That Bryce Young managed to overcome such a deficiency to win a Heisman Trophy and lead the team to a 13-2 record remains remarkable.

# 2021 Analysis

How did it happen? Though Bama has recruited well along the offensive line (according to the rankings, at least), it became apparent that none of the young tackles were remotely ready for primetime. Then a preseason injury to Kendall Randolph effectively sent Bama into the season without a right tackle. Super-senior Chris Owens was thus pressed into duty outside, and unfortunately played exactly like a man forced out of his natural playing position. Later in the season, injuries sent Owens back to center for a spell. This revealed that the alternative was even worse, as Damieon George, though powerful, looked hopelessly lost as the unit reached its nadir in the first half against Auburn. With Owens back outside, the entire unit looked better down the stretch, but lacking a true right tackle proved a season-long weakness.

Additionally, the unit clearly struggled with replacing Landon Dickerson at center. Communication seemed poor for the majority of the season, with even Coach Saban noting it as a deficiency in College Station. However, later in the season, it seemed to improve with Seth McLaughlin taking over in the middle.

Ultimately, poor communication and lack of player development tend to point blame in one primary direction. After spending nearly a decade wearing out his welcome as an NFL head coach, Doug Marrone returned to college football as an offensive line coach and performed as though he should have returned as a graduate assistant. That his arrival heralded one of the worst seasons of offensive line play in school history does not appear to have been overlooked, as he immediately departed for the NFL where he may well heap new miseries on unsuspecting fan bases.

# Position Losses

In terms of graduates, most notably we lose permanent team captain LT Evan Neal, a three-year starter at guard and tackle, and super senior RT Chris Owens, who spent most of his career as a reserve, but crucially stepped in for injured Landon Dickerson to close out 2020.

Meanwhile reserves Tommy Brown and Pierce Quick have portalled away in search of playing time, and incoming freshman tackle Dayne Shor has departed via portal practically before he ever arrived.

# 2022 Preview

With Marrone out, Eric Wolford has arrived as the new offensive line coach. A veteran line coach, Wolford appears primed for success. After serving on Muschamp’s staff at South Carolina, he comes off a one-year stint at Kentucky that saw his unit named a finalist for the Joe Moore Award. At Alabama, he will undoubtedly have more raw talent to work with than at any other point in his college coaching career.

With a new boss, change is sure to come, but certain parts of the starting line still seem obvious:

Right Guard

First, it seems certain that veteran Emil Ekiyor will again start at right guard. Though out for the spring recovering from injury, he is the only remaining member of 2020’s road graders and played well in 2021.

Left Guard

Second, at l**eft guard, it seems likely that **Javion Cohen will reprise his role. Praised for his developing leadership, there was some talk from the media that he might get a look at tackle, but there was little sign of this in the spring. With both tackle spots now open and one proving an outright disaster in 2021, it seems likely he’d have gotten a significant look outside by now if it was a serious possibility.

Center

At center, a position battle is likely. Darrian Dalcourt won the job last year, but struggled to stay healthy even as communication proved a severe challenge for the line. In his absence, Chris Owens returned to center, but by the second half of the Iron Bowl, a desperate coaching staff gave redshirt freshman Seth McLaughlin a shot. Though rated three stars by Rivals and 247, McLaughlin was a member of 2020’s ESPN 300. ESPN’s evaluation proved more accurate as McLaughlin’s play helped stabilize the line over the last three and a half games of the season. With Dalcourt out for the spring, McLaughlin maintained his role as starting center through A-Day. Now as Dalcourt returns, the two seem set to clash for the job. In my opinion, the line’s improved play at the end of 2021 coupled with McLaughlin’s reps in the spring under a new position coach give him the inside track. Dalcourt could well get Wally Pipped here.

Right Tackle

Unfortunately, with Evan Neal turning pro, Alabama must now find two new starting tackles after struggling at right tackle a season ago. However, one spot seems set. JC Latham, a former IMG Academy graduate like Neal, spent all spring with the first team at right tackle. A highly-touted 2020 recruit, he seems almost certain to start at one tackle spot. However several options are possible on the other side.

Left Tackle

In the spring, super senior Kendall Randolph spent the most time opposite Latham at left tackle. Amari Kight and Tommy Brockermeyer received opportunities as well, though neither seemed particularly impressive. However the most promising possibility opposite Latham is Vanderbilt transfer Tyler Steen. Originally a defensive lineman for the Commodores, Steen became a three year starter at tackle, with the last two on the left side. If he can step in and play at a high level, the line looks primed for success. However, though Steen was sought as a transfer by LSU and others, the fact remains that his performance at Vandy could best be described as “solid.” As a high school recruit, his potential was rated far below that of his competition.

Randolph has been praised by Coach Saban for his leadership and will certainly get a shot to win the job, but Steen’s experience gives him a clear edge. If Steen struggles, Randolph is the mostly likely to claim this spot, though he was far from locking up the position in the spring. Randolph has spent years as a blocking tight end (and is still listed at TE/OL on the 2022 roster), and is somewhat shorter and lighter than Steen and others. One dark horse could be Tyler Booker, a true freshman who worked his way into the two deep in the spring. If other candidates struggle, he could continue climbing the depth chart.

In my opinion, Steen may be the most important player to watch in fall camp. If he can play well enough to seize the left tackle spot outright, the line could be dominant once again. However, should he struggle, Randolph presents limited upside. His performance in spring suggests that “solid” is likely his ceiling. If Booker or another youngster outperform both, anything is possible, including Latham switching to the more important left side.

Reserves

In addition to those who lose the above-referenced position battles, the second team will likely include powerful Damieon George, who has shifted inside to guard after his experience at tackle last season, and Terrence Ferguson, who also saw time at guard in the spring. Our other returning scholarship players include Tanner Bowles and James Brockermeyer, competing principally for third-string center, and Jaeden Roberts, a redshirt freshman guard. This fall, tackle recruit Elijah Pritchett will join Booker as the unit’s freshman class. Booker’s early enrollment and time at IMG Academy make him the most likely to contribute early.

# A-Day Performance

To address a popular concern, A-Day was indeed an outright disaster for the unit, with the defenses combining for an absurd fifteen sacks. However, the game’s format, the unit’s competition from what projects as a truly legendary pass rush, and the absence of Ekiyor, Dalcourt, and incoming transfer Steen suggest that patience rather than panic is the most reasonable response.

# Conclusion

In summary, my best projection at a starting lineup is, left to right, Tyler Steen-Javion Cohen-Seth McLaughlin-Emil Ekiyor-JC Latham, with Kendall Randolph, Dameion George, and Darrian Dalcourt serving as key reserves at tackle, guard, and center, respectively. I don’t expect an all-time performance, though I do very much expect a return to the Saban-era standard for the position group. However, with a great deal of talent and experience likely to return, 2023’s unit could be particularly good.

# Additional Reading

Chris Walsh at Bama Central (SI)

Nick Kelly at Tuscaloosa News

Stacey Blackwood at RollTideWire (USA Today)

CB969 at RollBamaRoll

Michael Casagrande at AL.com

I am being captain obvious but there are three keys to the offensive line this season.

1. Left tackle. Obviously we have to protect Bryce. Left tackle was the obvious strength last year and it could be a big weakness. I know that our new coach is high on Tyler Steen and he definitely has experience but certainly not as big, as strong, or as athletic as Neal was. I know not many are, but it's going to be a big change from last year. Ability to hold up against a pure rush and ability to run block will be huge for him.

2. Center. A lot of people think Dalcourt is extremely talented. This may be the case but he seemed to have a lot of failings during the year last year. Not sure how much of that could have been injury related. You have to keep the ball secure to the quarterback and you have to be able to make calls. Both of these were weaknesses. He is a big strong guy and I'm not sure he got beat very much.

On the other hand McLaughlin seems to do very well in making calls. Of course this is huge. There didn't seem to be any snap problems. But we saw times where he got blown up a bit. I'm not sure if he can get a lot stronger? He can't get bigger. He's young. Maybe his technique can improve and help him? But we have to nail down this position.

3. Chemistry. That seemed to be lacking last year - it may have been due to distraction, coaching, injuries, or a combination, but chemistry was definitely lacking. I think that our new coach is going to definitely improve that but the five guys have to work together. They seemed to really come together for the SEC championship and that's a good model moving forward.

Lathan will be even more seasoned to play right tackle so I don't think that's going to be a problem. Overall, I think our guard play, in terms of individuals, is great. So Steen, apparently, and the center position, are going to make or break our year, and it's up to Coach Wolford to get it together for us

I thought Seth McGlaughlin played VERY well for us last year. I think he gets first team reps and starts the season. We saw zero drop off and actually looked better once he started. I think he wins the Center battle.

252 and his ongoing Phil Steel magazine saga 😂
Yep and it finally ended today. About 3 weeks after it hit the newsstands. Sure won't order it online in the future. First and last time for that.

Steele has Bama's OL #13 behind UGA #2, barn #10, ARK #12, and ahead of a$m #14, of the SEC teams ranked in the Top 15. Has UGA's sandwiched between Michigan #1 and tOSU #3.

@252BAMA who does Steele have penciled in for LT and C?
Has Steen at LT and Dalcourt at C. Ends his comments on the OL in the team write up with this, "Three starters return and career starts jump to 104 (from 54 in '21). Clearly they underperformed last year and they have 15 VHTs (Very Highly Touted recruits) so this will be their most improved unit and a Joe Moore Award contender."

I thought Seth McGlaughlin played VERY well for us last year. I

Has Steen at LT and Dalcourt at C.
It's my opinion that a lot of the improvement seen with Seth coincided with Pendry having more input in the latter part of the season. We'll see Steen as #1C when fall camp hits as is Saban's routine. The good news on Dalcourt is his rehab and work this off-season has paid off. He's been mentioned a few times as having assumed a leadership role.

Every time I've talked with someone about the offensive line we've gotten around to Wolford. I try not to put too much into how well they "fit in" this early on. On that end, hearing "strong staff" and their work habits have fit together like a dove tailed joint. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom