| MBB/WBB No. 1/1 Auburn Topples Alabama Tuesday Night, 100-81

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama will play the second of its current stretch of three consecutive top-5 ranked opponents when it travels to Auburn, Ala., to take on the No. 1/T1 Auburn Tigers Tuesday night at 8 p.m. CT on ESPN. It marks the second meeting this year between the rivals as the Tide fell to then-No. 4/4 Auburn, 81-77, Jan. 11 in Tuscaloosa.

This will be the 12th time Alabama takes on the nation's No. 1 team according to the Associated Press, holding a 4-7 record in those contests. The last time the Crimson Tide defeated the nation's top-ranked team came in a 70-67 win over Stanford in the second round of the 2004 NCAA Tournament (3/20/04). Alabama's last regular season victory over a No. 1 team came on Jan. 8, 1994 in a 66-64 home victory over Arkansas. Finally, the Tide's only road win over a No. 1 team in program history came at UCLA on Jan. 28, 1982.

Coming off an 87-78 victory over then-No. 4 Baylor last Saturday afternoon in the Big 12/SEC Challenge, Alabama improved to 3-0 against teams that played in last year's NCAA Final Four. The Tide also defeated then-No. 3 Gonzaga (91-82 in Seattle) and then-No. 14 Houston (83-82 in Tuscaloosa.

The Broadcast​

• Tuesday's game will be available on ESPN with Karl Ravech (play-by-play), Jay Bilas (analyst) and Marty Smith (analyst) on the call
  • The radio broadcast can be heard on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play) and Bryan Passink (analyst) on the call, while Tom Stipe (engineer) is turning the dials. The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.

Don't agree with this
I saw the original post it is ok. We all say things when we are frustrated. I certainly was but what do you call what we are seeing? The team came out and played extremely hard in the second half. Missed a couple of FG's and then seemed like the D went south. So what do you call that? No way a team should score what will likely be 100 points I do not care who you are.

I saw the original post it is ok. We all say things when we are frustrated. I certainly was but what do you call what we are seeing? The team came out and played extremely hard in the second half. Missed a couple of FG's and then seemed like the D went south. So what do you call that? No way a team should score what will likely be 100 points I do not care who you are.
Emotions getting the best of me. But you're good. I enjoy your post.

I'm actually happy at our effort. We could have easily checked out, but kept fighting back. Our defense has been good with Bediako out there. The problem has been when he subs out, Auburn is immediately taking advantage of Gurley, Rojas, and JD. Auburn has more talent and better discipline. But despite the score, we've fought hard. Tonight was inevitable. Unfortunately we don't have Jaden Bradley, Brandon Miller, Nick Pringle, and Rylan Griffen yet.

Needed way more out of JD tonight. I have to muster up something good from this, Shackelford and Quinerly are starting to play at a really high level at the same time. Bediako probably has had his best game. Would be nice to see that get better. The other guys like JD, Ellis and Gurley have to elevate their game.

Onto Kentucky. Another big game in Coleman.

I look forward to next year vs Auburn when we have better guys that can create their own shots and finish at the rim. Too many players with limited skill sets. Auburn used their athleticism and was aggressive offensively. We don't have five guards that can beat their man one on one.

Tired of hearing Billis slobber all of the cow manure....

Two last comments - No team should give up the number of points Bama gave up period. Lastly how do you get the FT discrepancy we have seen in this game?

Players have to step up JD should have been put on the bench no pts and no rebounds very little out of Miles.
Better regroup for the Cats Saturday.

Last season, we had the better team and swept them 2-0. This year, they are the better team and swept us. Sucks, but they are damn good and well coached. Doesn't take away from the fact that I hate them, hope their trees die, their players all end up broke and living under overpasses, and Pearl ends up in a federal pen for bribery and embezzlement.

Last season, we had the better team and swept them 2-0. This year, they are the better team and swept us. Sucks, but they are damn good and well coached. Doesn't take away from the fact that I hate them, hope their trees die, their players all end up broke and living under overpasses, and Pearl ends up in a federal pen for bribery and embezzlement.

Pearl in the pen would put a smile on my face Wade could be his cellmate.

The season is getting long in the tooth. What’s you guys lean on JD going pro? He’s averaging 8.6, 4.4 and 4.1. He’s scored double digits 8 times but 5 or less 7 times. I don’t know enough about the rest of the kids going to the draft to know how that stacks up. But to my untrained eye, he’d not get drafted.

AUBURN, Ala. – The Alabama men's basketball team fell at No. 1/1 Auburn 100-81 Tuesday night inside Auburn Arena. With the defeat, the Crimson Tide fell to 14-8 on the year and 4-5 in the SEC, while the Tigers won their 18th straight contest to improve to 21-1 overall and 9-0 in league play.

After Auburn took a 14-point 51-37 halftime lead into the locker room, Alabama began the second half on an 18-6 run which cut the lead to 57-55 with just over 14 minutes remaining. However, the Tigers answered with a 13-2 spurt over the next 3:20 to stretch its lead to 13, 70-57, at the under 12 media timeout. The Tide would not get any closer.

Alabama was led by Jaden Shackelford's 26 points, while Jahvon Quinerly added 20 in the loss. It was the first time since Nov. 26, 2020 that two UA players scored 20 or more points in the same game. Graduate transfer Noah Gurley added 11 points off the bench in the loss.

Wendell Green Jr. led five Auburn players in double figures with 23 points to go along with eight rebounds and six assists, while Walker Kessler finished with 14 points, 12 boards and eight blocks.

Head Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments​

"Give Auburn credit where it's due. They are really good and we didn't play well enough to beat tonight. They don't have many weak links on their team. Our frontcourt got overwhelmed a little. I thought some of our guards played well and competed. We gave up way too many points in transition – they had us for 27 points that we gave up and 18 of those came in the first half. We game them 31 points at the line. When you give up nearly 60 points in transition and at the free throw line, it's going to be hard to win a game. Our transition defense has to get better, and we have got to learn to guard without fouling. We're going to keep working."

They have Pearl and like it or not the man can coach! I just hate it’s at the Barn! It’s all they have at this moment! The Football Team is a Dumpster fire so we’ll be fine! Oats just has to figure it out! Roll Tide!

Last night was a tough one. Playing #1 at their place is tough enough, but the refs were a major piece of the problem last night. 39 free throw attempts!!! 39. Add on top all of the foulsto get to the bonus and that is unbelievable. It's not just the foul being called, but it's the slowing down of the game that doesn't translate for us. Their big guys were never winded because they could rest every ten seconds.

The defense was terrible outside of the first four minutes of the game and the first eight out of Halftime. Instead of attacking their undersized point guard, we sat back and allowed him to attack us and use his speed to penetrate, dish the ball, and create layups against us.

@Bammerboy321
you can't call out one guy and say he was terrible, because everyone had their terrible moments. Shackleford got hot, Quinnerly got hot, but they were most of the issue last night since the ball goes through them. Davidson was nowhere to be found and showed he's not in the same league as a draft worthy Freshman. Bediako played well to me. He's 100 pounds soaking wet and battled all night long. He's coming along. Ellis had a rough game, but his heart makes up for a lot. The refs popped him for some VERY tit for tat stuff. Miles messed up big on that travel, but we gotta pick him up and quit turning the ball over right after we get a stop from our guards.

We showed we could play. We are a tournament team. We can make a run, but we knew last night was gonna be rough. I just didn't expect a pillow fight from the damn refs.

Got to hand it to Pearl - he absolutely nailed this roster. On top of landing Jabari, he went out and hauled in a great transfer class. Oats will have to learn to do the same IMO. Gurley has been kind of a disappointment and doesn't really fit his scheme. Unfortunately Nimari Burnett, who would have been huge this season, tore his ACL (go figure).

Overall, we need better guards that can create their own shot. Bradley is supposed to be that man next season, so that's good news. I think another guard transfer would do us some good.

JD really needs to not listen to the scouts and return. His stock would sore with another year under Oats.

Onto Kentucky. Another big game in Coleman.

I look forward to next year vs Auburn when we have better guys that can create their own shots and finish at the rim. Too many players with limited skill sets. Auburn used their athleticism and was aggressive offensively. We don't have five guards that can beat their man one on one.
You might be looking to far with Bama and better players. Pearl only signed one HS player and nailed the transfer portal for the rest.

Nate didn't do so well in the portal for this cycle. If JD is an NBA player, then about every player on the Bama team is as well.

Back
Top Bottom