| NEWS NIL starts 7/1: UA releases guidelines to fans/boosters as college sports changes forever. Here's the latest.

I wonder if this will change the dynamic of fan day in August? All the people lining up to get autographs. Will they have to pay for them now? Should make the annual running of the rednecks a little more tame.

While true the market is bigger, the market is also saturated. When fans of SC brag about "more things to do on the weekends than watch football" it goes to show there's an apathy in their fandom.
It's how you play with the numbers. More people in China can speak English than there are English-speakers in the United States. In the case of USCw, if only 10% of households in the market cares about football, that's still more than 75% of Birmingham households (5,735,230 LA DMA households x 10% = 573,523 compared to 730,440 Birmingham DMA households x 75% = 547,833).

It's how you play with the numbers. More people in China can speak English than there are English-speakers in the United States. In the case of USCw, if only 10% of households in the market cares about football, that's still more than 75% of Birmingham households (5,735,230 LA DMA households x 10% = 573,523 compared to 730,440 Birmingham DMA households x 75% = 547,833).
NIL and saturation was referring to an individual/personality breaking into that market. Is someone in LA more likely to respond to an ad with someone from the Lakers or someone from SC's basketball team? Clippers or Stanford?

How many college football fans are there in the PAC area? If we look at TV ratings on a week to week basis we'd see a Bama game drawing twice as many viewers sometimes as many as eight times as many viewers as the top ranked PAC.

If you're an advertiser are you spending your money where people will know the personalities? I suggest, yes.

When in comes to the highest rated markets in the US for college football Birmingham tops the list, weekly, yearly. The Birmingham market has been ESPN's top market for 12 consecutive years (that's ESPN, the network.) There's not a PAC school in the top 10. Several years ago when I looked over the markets they were in the top 25.

If you're a college football player who wants to be in the largest ESPN market where do you go? What about the college football audience?

If you're an advertiser are you spending your money where people will know the personalities? I suggest, yes.
I suggest to you that NIL will have very little to do with legitimate advertising and a lot more to do with Boosters spending money to help boost the program Image and indirectly boost recruiting.

What's the going rate for a Nike endorsement ? Wanna wager how much money Nike puts into the Football/Basketball/Track team at Oregon via NIL ? They spend around 6 billion a year on endorsements, so take 0.1% of that (6,000,000) and split that out to $ 25k per athlete and they can support 240 athletes at that school... which really doesn't sound unreasonable.

I'm sure Yellow man has some ink ready to go...

Last edited:
While true the market is bigger, the market is also saturated. When fans of SC brag about "more things to do on the weekends than watch football" it goes to show there's an apathy in their fandom.
Hell neither USC or UCLA can draw fans to games these days so why would any fan spend a buck on players they don't go watch. The 7A state championship game in Alabama draws as many fans as the Pac12 CG.

One of the easiest avenues to take is going to be having athletes use their social media accounts to send out advertisement/endorsement messages for businesses. You see it a lot already with guys who declare for the draft, they immediately start using their social media accounts to make money right away. Just as a random example, Malachi Moore has 45,000 Instagram followers. If he agrees to send out 1 message a week advertising for Buffalo Phil's or Hoo's Q, that's going to reach a lot of folks. What is the "market value" for that type of thing? I don't really know, and it would depend on the amount of followers and such, but it would take literally seconds to do and certainly put a bit of spending money in the wallet.

I suggest to you that NIL will have very little to do with legitimate advertising and a lot more to do with Boosters spending money to help boost the program Image and indirectly boost recruiting
"Legitimate advertising" defined as "what you're used to seeing?"

I'm sure this will be the case. Another reason to note state laws dictating market value as a stipulation.

What's the going rate for a Nike endorsement ? Wanna wager how much money Nike puts into the Football/Basketball/Track team at Oregon via NIL ? They spend around 6 billion a year on endorsements, so take 0.1% of that (6,000,000) and split that out to $ 25k per athlete and they can support 240 athletes at that school... which really doesn't sound unreasonable.
Why would Nike create a shit storm giving more money to Oregon than other schools they have contracts with?

One of the easiest avenues to take is going to be having athletes use their social media accounts to send out advertisement/endorsement messages for businesses. You see it a lot already with guys who declare for the draft, they immediately start using their social media accounts to make money right away. Just as a random example, Malachi Moore has 45,000 Instagram followers. If he agrees to send out 1 message a week advertising for Buffalo Phil's or Hoo's Q, that's going to reach a lot of folks. What is the "market value" for that type of thing? I don't really know, and it would depend on the amount of followers and such, but it would take literally seconds to do and certainly put a bit of spending money in the wallet.
Google Chloe Mitchell NIL

Back
Top Bottom