| FTBL New uniforms, trendy or recognizing tradition?

Nate

Verified Member
Look at the proposed new uniforms!

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/11/sec_extra_gentry_estes.html
houndstooth-alabamajpg-dcad4377be42dae0_large.jpg
View full size(Press-Register Illustration:Brian Lyman/Photo:Birmingham News/Mark Almond)Alabama hasn't broken out the houndstooth uniforms.TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Third-ranked Alabama is bound to be tested by No. 9 LSU on Saturday. But not to fret, Crimson Tide fans.

There is only one thing Alabama needs to guarantee it will roll past a formidable opponent: Houndstooth jerseys.

Failing such creativity, the Crimson Tide could just resort to white helmets, crimson pants, gray socks or any other random combination to give that extra bit of motivation to a team that hasn't been at its best in recent games.

Allow me now to remove my tongue from my cheek so I can properly dismiss this notion as ridiculous. As far as I know, Alabama won't be wearing anything Saturday other than its standard home uniforms. And here's a little secret that the football fashion police may not like: Uniform color does not matter -- at all.

The rash of teams willing to shed traditional uniforms picked up new steam in the SEC on Saturday. Georgia set the pace by shedding its traditional silver britches for black ones with black helmets instead of the usual red ones.

The new uniforms were hideous, almost as bad as the Bulldogs played in a lopsided loss to rival Florida or against Alabama in black jerseys last season.

Tennessee followed suit later that night, wearing orange for warmups, then taking time before the kickoff to switch to black jerseys before beating South Carolina on Halloween night. The move was a secret around UT, and some would say those shirts were why the Vols played well and won by 18 points. Silly me, I guess, since I'd argue it had more to do with Gamecock fumbles.

Almost every week now you hear about a school promoting some "Black-out" or "Blue-out" or "White-out" among its supporters.

It's time to say enough is enough. I don't mean to be a curmudgeon regarding what is clearly so important to many. I get that it can be cool to have new uniforms, and that it's possible publicity for recruiting purposes. But I honestly do not understand the growing fascination.

If football fans -- much less actual players -- really need something like that to get inspired, then you have to wonder about the motivation of that program.

Was it not enough for Georgia that it was playing the nation's No. 1 team in one of the best settings in college football? Apparently not. Florida's attire was remarkably traditional as it repeatedly worked over Georgia's defense.

If you win, it can be applauded. But if you lose, it's viewed as a useless gimmick, a waste of time and energy that could have been spent preparing for an opponent.

And besides, what's wrong with valuing tradition?

Alabama seems to agree. The same goes for Michigan, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas and others of that mold. These schools have some of the best uniforms in college football, and they should be applauded for not being so eager to sell that out and change just because they may be seeking an edge for a big game.

The Crimson Tide, to be fair, has done it before. Former coach Ray Perkins switched to white helmets during the 1980s, but that move was for a tangible reason -- so the hats would contrast to opposing teams with similar colors.

Since then, Alabama's uniforms haven't changed. I think the reason is the same as why the Crimson Tide has never had its goalposts torn down after a big win. Alabama's program has an old-money feel to it, with the overriding attitude being "that sort of thing doesn't happen here."

And that's good.

It's dignified, and it's something special that should be preserved, no matter what other schools choose to attempt.

I heard a story about the first year that Saban was at Alabama. Now bear in mind this is 3rd or 4th hand by the time it made it to me, but it parallels the whole uniform thing.

A kid who had been promised by the previous staff that he could have his old high school number walked up to Coach Saban and explained to him that he would be changing his number as the previous coach had promised. Allegedly, Coach Saban explained in no uncertain terms that if he wanted to change his number he would have to earn that right on the field regardless of what the previous staff might have promised.

Now, I might also mention that this kid was so far down the depth chart that the chances of him coming on the field for the final kneel down of a game that we were leading 85-0 would be slim. So, when the team started drills Coach Saban supposedly called the kid up to take a rep and run the ball. He also supposedly unleashed the linebackers on the kid full throttle which had about the same result as a possum running headlong into a pack of 18 wheelers.

When the defense climbed off the kid supposedly looked up to see Coach Saban standing over him. "So tell me," the Coach alledgedly asked," do you think having a different number on your jersey would have given you a different result?"

Now, whether this is true or not I think it's safe to assume that Coach Saban believes that it's how you prepare not what you wear that determines the outcome of games.

god that would be horrible. the houndstooth collar was decent and i wouldnt mind the white helmets but yea i dont think a different uniform has any affect on anything.

Back
Top Bottom