need help in purchasing a new tv

austexbama

Verified Member
My old Sony is starting to go out. It goes black for a few seconds and then comes back on. The time varies but sometimes it stays black for 15-20 seconds.
So, does anyone have a favorite brand of TV that you have had great experience with?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I’m thinking of Costco and the Visio or Samsung TV’s.
<o:p> </o:p>
Please help, don’t know if this will hold out until after the barn game and if it goes black during that game you may be reading about me in the newspaper. :smile:

My brother works for Best Buy's Geek Squad and is a home theater "Expert", so I'm asking him.

His words....

"The Visio isn't a bad t.v, but the processor isn't on scale of some other t.v's. Samsung has spent the most money on technology. No matter where you buy it, I would get either a LG or a Samsung. The Samsung LED uses 38% less energy than any other t.v on the market. With watching sports or action movies you want a t.v with at least 120 hz running speed. LG has a new t.v that is a 240 hz 1080p that is relatively cheap ($900-$1200) that is a pretty sweet t.v. But, the best t.v on the market is the Samsung LED 240 hz, but the 120 hz Samsung LED is a sweet t.v too. But, I would stay away from Vizio they're a mass produced t.v with not very good technology. If you have any questions feel free to email me tyrel.faler@gmail.com".

Cory

Last edited:
Some of the sets running at 240 hz still have blurring issues (more than some 120 hz sets) with action scenes. The current version of Consumer Reports has a very good article on TV ratings. Ease by a magazine rack and browse a bit. Good luck and have a sports bar in mind should the unthinkable occur.

RTR,

Tim

My brother works for Best Buy's Geek Squad and is a home theater "Expert", so I'm asking him.

His words....

"The Visio isn't a bad t.v, but the processor isn't on scale of some other t.v's. Samsung has spent the most money on technology. No matter where you buy it, I would get either a LG or a Samsung. The Samsung LED uses 38% less energy than any other t.v on the market. With watching sports or action movies you want a t.v with at least 120 hz running speed. LG has a new t.v that is a 240 hz 1080p that is relatively cheap ($900-$1200) that is a pretty sweet t.v. But, the best t.v on the market is the Samsung LED 240 hz, but the 120 hz Samsung LED is a sweet t.v too. But, I would stay away from Visio they're a mass produced t.v with not very good technology. If you have any questions feel free to email me tyrel.faler@gmail.com".

Cory

Thanks so much for the info. :hyper:

I may take you up on that offer :smile:

Some of the sets running at 240 hz still have blurring issues (more than some 120 hz sets) with action scenes. The current version of Consumer Reports has a very good article on TV ratings. Ease by a magazine rack and browse a bit. Good luck and have a sports bar in mind should the unthinkable occur.

RTR,

Tim

Thanks Tim, I will look up Consumer Reports also.

I knew this was the right place to ask :smile:

Check out the Panasonic Viera plasma(new generation plasma).

I just bought a 50" and it's amazing. The colors are unbelievable and action scenes are smooth. They make it in 720p and 1080p.

If you get anything larger than a 32" make sure it is 1080p or you are throwing money away.

The only way the 1080p comes into play with a t.v is if it's hooked up to a HD source blu ray, cable HD package, satellite HD package, etc. Whether it's a 32", 55", or a 155". If a person is hooking up just to a coaxial source you never see the full 1080p. Along with the HD source you have to have a HDMI cable ran from the HD source to the t.v. So, if it's just a coaxial cable then you wouldn't be wasting your money.

Cory

Last edited:
I have the LG 50PQ30, a 50" plasma with the 240 Hz, and an older (2 years old) 50" Vizio plasma. The Vizio is a decent TV with GREAT simulated surround sound, but it turns itself off on it's own occassionally. The LG has a good picture quality, and you can get a 50" for less than $700 if you look around, definitely a great deal.

The only way the 1080p comes into play with a t.v is if it's hooked up to a HD source blu ray, cable HD package, satellite HD package, etc. Whether it's a 32", 55", or a 155". If a person is hooking up just to a coaxial source you never see the full 1080p. Along with the HD source you have to have a HDMI cable ran from the HD source to the t.v. So, if it's just a coaxial cable then you wouldn't be wasting your money.

Cory
Then what is the point in getting a HD tv if you don't have a blu ray player or a HD package? That sounds like a waist of money, just get a regular tv. The picture quality will look worse if you don't have an HD package with cable/satelite anyway.

Back
Top Bottom