| FTBL My Top 5 list of incoming freshmen.

Argo

Below is a list of guys that I think will make the largest contribution this fall out our incoming class.

1. Jerrell Harris - With incredible speed and a hard hitting attitude, it now seems apparent that Jerrell Harris and Chavis Williams will be the top two candidates for the Sam position(Strongside linebacker). Williams had some meaningful snaps last season and has a better knowlegde of the Saban's system, but Harris has the athleticism to make up for any mistakes. I'm sure Chavis will enter fall camp as #1 on the depth chart for the Sam position, but I fully expect for Harris to take that position by the Clemson game.

2. Burton Scott - A freak of an athlete has been the center of a debate since he verbally committed to Bama last summer. Cornerback or Receiver? I still believe that Scott has the tools to be an All-American cornerback but he is too good with the ball in his hands not to have on the offensive side of the ball. He looks to be competing with Darius Hanks for the slot-position and likely will not take the #1 depth chart spot from Hanks, but if I were a betting man I'd put some cold hard cash on seeing a lot of Scott early in the upcoming season. Scott can line up at slot or slide back into the tailback spot at any given time. Look for McElwain to get the ball in Scott's hands every time possible.

3. Don'Ta Hightower - A gigantic prospect who is up to a self reported 260 pounds has a great opportunity this fall to step right into meaningful snaps at the Will position(Weakside linebacker). Hightower is probably a better fit at the middle spot, but it is currently filled by Freshman All-American Rolando McClain. Prince Hall would have a good opportunity to take the Will position if he can make it back on the team, but I'm not holding my breath. The next viable option already competing for the position is also a freshman(redshirt) Jennings Hester. I'm not getting down on Hester and he may take and keep the starting position, but Hightower will push for playing time. Even if Prince Hall makes it back Hightower will probably still get meaningful snaps behind McClain.

4. Mark Ingram - Ingram is coming into a position this fall that seems to be log-jammed, but I'm still picking him in my top 5. The reason is simple. Saban is known for rotating backs and playing the guy with the hot hand. You also have to consider that Grant, Upchurch and Coffee have already been in the dog-house in Saban's first year. I'm hoping that one of those three or Demetrius Goode can handle the load successfully this season so Ingram can redshirt but I'm not counting on it. I look for Ingram to get some serious carries, especially in tight games where we may need to pound it out.

5. Julio Jones - Jones would probably be the top pick for me in most years, but wide receiver is one of the few positions where Bama seems to have decent depth. I still think Jones will be a factor by season's end. If Earl Alexander or Mike McCoy struggle early in the year they may open the door for Jones to take a starting job earlier than I expect. Then again, Jones may come out in the fall camp and take a position on his own. Either way, we'll see him on the field this fall.

5 more names for the watch list.

Mark Barron
Courtney Upshaw
Alonzo Lawrence
Marcel Dareus
Tyler Love

Anyone else have any opinions here?

Man it is tough to narrow it down to 5. On any given day, I'd have your 5, or I would have a top 5 that included Marcel Dareus and Mark Barron, but I'm not sure who I'd bump. Dareus is a freak, and is by far the most underrated prospect of the '08 signees. Barron is a tremendous athlete and will get his fair share of reps as well. By the 4th or 5th game, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is starting opposite Rashad at safety. The talent influx that this class will give the team is unlike anything we have seen in years. It is going to be fun to watch as the season unfolds, and see how many of these greenhorns make a big impact. There are 7 or 8 guys that have the ability (and opportunity) to take over a position and thrive much like Rolando McClain did last year.

Porter said:
Man it is tough to narrow it down to 5. On any given day, I'd have your 5, or I would have a top 5 that included Marcel Dareus and Mark Barron, but I'm not sure who I'd bump. Dareus is a freak, and is by far the most underrated prospect of the '08 signees. Barron is a tremendous athlete and will get his fair share of reps as well. By the 4th or 5th game, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is starting opposite Rashad at safety. The talent influx that this class will give the team is unlike anything we have seen in years. It is going to be fun to watch as the season unfolds, and see how many of these greenhorns make a big impact. There are 7 or 8 guys that have the ability (and opportunity) to take over a position and thrive much like Rolando McClain did last year.

I thought hard and long about putting Mark Barron in the 5th spot, I just couldn't leave Julio off the list. The biggest thing against Woodall has been his ability to learn the schemes so it wouldn't be a shock for Barron to take his spot after a few games.

Just think about the freshmen starters we could see on defense by the end of the season.

SS- Mark Barron
CB- Alonzo Lawrence
SLB- Jerrell Harris
WLB- Don'ta Hightower
DL- Marcel Darues

That's not even mentioning the guys that should see a ton of snaps. Do you think Chris Jordon will still get a shot at RB or will he start out at LB?

It's also easy to forget about people like Courtney Upshaw and Glenn Harbin who both have the tools to make an impact. One thing is for sure....Bama will be green on defense this fall.

TigerBait3 said:
Two words.
Mark Barron.
Best in your class. Yeah, I said it.
Yeah, you said it fellow Tiger. I love Barron since the first time I watched highlights about him, he's my favorite on this recruiting class by far, but I do agree with Argo, I think Woodall has the tools to became the starter since day one, although I see the clear contribution of Mark Barron as season unfolds.

From the other hand, I think Julio is gonna step in the receiving corp since day one. Yeah, we've got depth at the position but NO clear playmakers (maybe Hanks) and we're gonna need Julio's playmaking ability for sure.

However, Porter said it. It's really difficult trying to build a clear Top5 from this impressive recruiting class and I see a lot of guys stepping forward as well, the ranking could perfectly change game in game out.

But IMO both Jerrell (athletic ability) and Don'ta (impressive frame and intelligence) are the most likely to start because of the weakness in terms of depth and starters at the linebacker corp.

Nevertheless, good post and analysis Argo.

RTR,

He's not a freshman, but "Mount Cody" is definitely part of this class, and I will be very surprised if he's not an impact player (pun intended).

Argo said:
Do you think Chris Jordon will still get a shot at RB or will he start out at LB?

If he WANTS to still play RB, they will let him play RB, but I'm sure they will explain to him that in the long run, his best position is probably LB and he has more of a chance of getting playing time there. He has been working at LB though in 7 on 7 work.

1.Mark Ingram
Something about him I just like. He runs hard with power and seems very shifty.

2.Burton Scott
From what I've seen, the guy is just a freak of nature athletically

3.Julio Jones
he is just to talented not to see playing time immediatley

4.Jerrell Harris
He looks very good, and we are thin, thin thin at LB

5.Mark Barron
Unless Woodall gets his schemes down, that position is up for grabs.

Back
Top Bottom