Moving to Birmingham

BamaCore

Verified Member
So yeah, beginning August 1st my fiance and I will officially be residents of Birmingham, AL. I know the city, but I don't really KNOW the city, ya know? We'll be living slightly south of Five Points. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice/points/tips/locations. Where's the good places to eat? Fun things to do and places to go? How about places that are pretty off limits to anyone without a death wish? Any and all help is appreciated!

that shouldnt be to bad, i live toward the McCalla area so i am always heading toward Tuscaloosa, nothing really for me that way is the main reason I don't go towards Birmingham

Southside is a lifestyle all it's own. You are running in different circles there and it doesn't take much to get robbed in that area if you go the wrong way. I stay as far away from B'ham as possible. As a matter of fact I refuse to live in Jefferson county simply based on the fact that Jeff Co and the city of B'ham are ran by complete and total jack ass morons. Having said all that, you will be submersed in all that city/urban life has to offer being that close to 5 points south. I'm not knocking it, that is for some folks, just not me. I worked with a nurse practitioner that lived on the other side of town up near Harbert Plaza in some condo's, but even she had someone break the window out of her vehicle and steal some stuff in the parking garage. (And I know that crap goes on everywhere) I just despise Jefferson county.

As far as food etc....that entire area is loaded with good restaurants, but there are only two or three I go down that way to eat at. In the lake view district just past St Vincents Hospital is Moe's BBQ. Then closer to southside is Dreamland. I have gone to 5 points south to the Original Pancake House as well. That is about all I know about that area or am willing to go to. I'm sure as you become submersed in the Southside life you will find others. There is a Surin (Thai food), but if I want Surin, they have one on 280. For a dang good burger you need to hit Mugshots in Vestavia Hills by the Rave. Great food.

The immediate area aropund Five Points isn't too bad, and the further south you go (towards Vulcan) the better it is. Rammerjammer mentioned the Lakeview area, There are some good restaurants and clubs in that area. There are a good many nice eating places along the highway 31 corridor heading south from Birmingham, as well as the 280 corridor.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips and stuff guys! Yeah, we're right up on the same ledge of the city as Vulcan. You can actually see the majority of Birmingham out of the apartment's window. So I'll be sure that if I'm ever heading north into Birmingham to only do it during the day, and for the most part head further south for most things. I was slightly worried about the area, but I'm glad to hear it isn't to bad. With me working and her going through her PhD program at UAB I don't figure we'll be able to get out too often to manage to get mugged anyway. Haha.

I got a PhD from UCLA....a public high school diploma from the upper corner of Lower Alabama. :smile-new:

Awesome what is she getting her Doctuh in? Good luck with everything. Maybe we could hook up with Doe one day at Famous Fred's and get some chicken fingers. You will have to limit him to 2 lemonades or he will get some kind of rowdy.

Haha thanks! She's getting it in psychology. As you could probably tell she's a lot smarter than me...well except for the fact that she chose me. :lol: But yeah, I'm always down for some good fried chicken!

I got a PhD from UCLA....a public high school diploma from the upper corner of Lower Alabama. :smile-new:

Awesome what is she getting her Doctuh in? Good luck with everything. Maybe we could hook up with Doe one day at Famous Fred's and get some chicken fingers. You will have to limit him to 2 lemonades or he will get some kind of rowdy.

Yeah, don't think I didn't see this s***.

Davenports Pizza & Jim and Nick's are good (didn't see them added, but after I saw I was left out of the Chicken Nazi visit, I became enraged and pretty much forgot everything else in the thread).

Oh sorry, MunchyOs. Don't know how I've missed your posts for so long. Birmingham is going pretty good. Still feeling my way around after 3 months but I'm liking it so far.

That's good. Birmingham is the only place I have ever lived. I've always liked it okay. It has a big city type of feel, and at the same time it's not too big, like Atlanta. I'm glad it's working out well for you. Had you lived in Muscle Shoals awhile before making the move?

That's good. Birmingham is the only place I have ever lived. I've always liked it okay. It has a big city type of feel, and at the same time it's not too big, like Atlanta. I'm glad it's working out well for you. Had you lived in Muscle Shoals awhile before making the move?

Yeah, I'm liking it more and more as I'm down here. But I was born and raised in Muscle Shoals, this is my first time living outside the area unless you count a year that I lived in Florence which is still basically Muscle Shoals.

Back
Top Bottom