| FTBL Motley injury

Don't forget the walk-on from Ohio State. Garnier maybe? Either way, dude is big enough to plug a hole.

Although this injury hurts, we have a coaching staff that will minimize this injury as much as possible. You can bet Saban and Steele already have the answer.

Argo said:
Don't forget the walk-on from Ohio State. Garnier maybe? Either way, dude is big enough to plug a hole.

Although this injury hurts, we have a coaching staff that will minimize this injury as much as possible. You can bet Saban and Steele already have the answer.

I thought he was a transfer? Does he not have to sit out?

Bones82 said:
Argo said:

He wasn't on scholarship. I could be wrong, but I don't think non-scholarship players have the sit out rule.

musso said:
i had no idea it was this serious. if he's out that long, it's going to be a loooooooooong season. this really sucks.

i can just see it now: Ark, FSU, Georgia, Tenn, LSU, and Auburn just running it down our throats.

&mad

Between Waldrop, Schreiber, Knight, McClain and Hall we should have some run support from our interior linebackers. That being said, as long as we can find NG's that are serviceable...as in, able to at least clog the middle of the field.

A push from the NG may be something we'll lack.

Argo said:
Bones82 said:
Argo said:

He wasn't on scholarship. I could be wrong, but I don't think non-scholarship players have the sit out rule.

He'll have to sit a year. The transfer rule doesn't have clauses in it that apply to scholarship or non-scholarship players.

This may manifest itself in a "pick your poison" set of choices for the coaches.

OPTIONS
We can lean in and bring run support from the outside and keep the LBs home more, but that softens up the potential of our covering sideline-to-sideline as well as lending help to the DBs. (Its a good thing we don't play in a conference that is known for speed or anything.)

Being soft in the middle means a team mores the ball 5 yards at a time (ball control). Being soft outside means a team moves the ball 9 yards at a time (explosive). Ball control games limit the number of shots each team has to score, making turnovers and redzone percentage uber-important. Explosive ball games don't alway out that same premium on these.

PREDICTION
IF Alabama's offense is as "explosive" as I think it will be, being "leaning in" and "LBs staying shallow" will be exactly how this plays out. But Mr. Washington will have a great deal to say about this.

(WARNING: LBS' thoughts are on only one cup of coffee.)

TerryP said:
Argo said:
Bones82 said:
Argo said:

He'll have to sit a year. The transfer rule doesn't have clauses in it that apply to scholarship or non-scholarship players.

I haven't quite figured his situation out. Financially strapped single mom with over $50,000 in college loans, and he was granted two extra years of eligibility based largely on a medical determination of depression. He's here because the University's aid package was substantial, but I hope he does well enough to get a full ride.

Is he okay academically?

RTR,

Tim

I'm not worried about Vanderbilt.

I was worried about Arkansas and their running game against us...now I'm admittedly even more worried about it, especially considering the swing nature of this game every year in the past.

SOMEBODY STEP UP! And Lorenzo, don't let a fine performance against Western Carolina slow you down and let you lose your focus. I think this guy is determined, he's shown that he can come back and fight it seems after what I've read about him being injured in the Spring.

It Takes Eleven said:
TerryP said:
Argo said:
Bones82 said:
Argo said:

I haven't quite figured his situation out. Financially strapped single mom with over $50,000 in college loans, and he was granted two extra years of eligibility based largely on a medical determination of depression. He's here because the University's aid package was substantial, but I hope he does well enough to get a full ride.

Is he okay academically?

RTR,

Tim

Good question, and one I don't know the answer for...

I assume you heard/read the same story I did about him. Perhaps, that story has something about his studies?

Argo said:

Argo, while I appreciate your optimism I feel quite the opposite. I think this is the area around which Coach Saban was warning us. Remember he said it is a process. I really, really think he took one look at our D (mainly our D-line) and thought what in the **** have they (the former staff) been doing over here for 4 years?! :x

Saban saw a lack of personnel. Not necessarily a lack of talent but a lack of numbers and experience. I don't think he has any sure answer at this point. He can only work with what he has. :?

ijijmijij said:
I'm not worried about Vanderbilt.

I was worried about Arkansas and their running game against us...now I'm admittedly even more worried about it, especially considering the swing nature of this game every year in the past.

SOMEBODY STEP UP! And Lorenzo, don't let a fine performance against Western Carolina slow you down and let you lose your focus. I think this guy is determined, he's shown that he can come back and fight it seems after what I've read about him being injured in the Spring.

Joe Kines made this comment last night.

"We were this far away (holding hands about a ft. apart) on two FG's Vann (he didn't realize until later that he was talking about Leigh, but noted, Leigh reminded him a lot of Vann) kicked from beating Arkansas."

Are we any better prepared to stop the run this year as compared to last year? I believe so, based on, more speed in our LB corps if they (Arkansas) do make it past the first line.

I realize that Jones and McFadden bring a lot to the table. I also realize, they brought that much last year, in Arkansas, and were lucky to escape that game with a W. Monk is questionable, at best, at this point in time. If he isn't through with his rehab by the 3rd week of the season we should be able to stack the box with 7-8 and leave the game to our DB's.

That being said, Arkansas doesn't bring a lot of concern to me.

Now, when it comes to Vandy, they have a better passing attack than Arkansas combined with a QB that can be as dangerous running the ball as passing it. The combination of Chris Nickson and Earl Bennett are as dangerous as many in the SEC. Add returning their TE and he'll have options; many. They lost their RG and one WR on offense. (returning 2 WR's that started last year.)

On the same note, they lost their DT and DE so we should have success with the ball control game.

Rating one game vs the next and considering the game vs Arkansas is in T-town, I'm feeling more concern about Vandy than Arkansas.

TerryP said:
Rating one game vs the next and considering the game vs Arkansas is in T-town, I'm feeling more concern about Vandy than Arkansas.

Vandy worries me, and Arkansas is usually a barometer for the entire season, but I'm worried about all of them. I'm worried we won't obliterate Western Carolina and the naysayers will start creeping in, or that we'll have a critical injury. Despite all the wonderful, positive developments we've had in recruiting and with the state of our current coaching staff, it'll take me a while to get rid of my expectation of bad news.

RTR,

Tim

I'm so happy to hear some optimism about how our LBs will supplement the line, and how our secondary will respond if we stack the box up consistently in that game.

I hope to see McFadden have a little Ken Darby syndrome this year, thinking about records, Heisman, etc.

I agree with you Terry, Vandy is going to be a dangerous team this year. Nickerson is going to be improved with a full year under his belt, and we cannot let him get out of the pocket and hurt us with his feet and make a big play on a third down or something to that effect. We will be in a tight battle all day long and the score may be like last year's contest.

It Takes Eleven said:
TerryP said:
Argo said:
Bones82 said:
Argo said:

Is he okay academically?

RTR,

Tim

That really sucks. The NCAA is a joke about some stuff.

Wiseace615 said:
Hey Terry, any word on when Coach Saban is going to have a press conference to announce the forfeiture of the season :wink: :D .

As a matter of fact, I do. He said he was waiting on two things. One, a text message from Nutt, and two, Meyer to invent forfeiture.

There is a possible third...it has to do with a consultation with Miles about the difference between a hat and a cap.

Back
Top Bottom