| RECRUIT Monday after A-Day

The first part focuses on A-Day. Repeat...the first part focuses on A-Day. The players who visited, and some who did not visit (originally scheduled).

Ishmael Sospher

The five-star defensive tackle, from Amite High School in Louisiana, visited Alabama this past weekend instead of LSU. A lot of positive momentum regarding Sopsher as of late. Alabama felt this a big step in the right direction. It seems Alabama may have some work to do. People who were around Sopsher throughout the visit said he seemed dis-interested for the most part even when future first rounders Minkah Fitzpatrick and Rashaan Evans tried to spend time with him. There is still a long way to go with his recruitment. Who knows what may happen, but he did not come across as a recruit who was favoring Alabama this weekend.

Darnell Wright

Wright had a phenomenal visit to Alabama on Saturday. He traveled to Tuscaloosa with one of his assistant coaches. He has built a strong relationship with Alabama OL coach Brent Key. Wright plans to wait until January to announce a decision. He wants to take more visits and enjoy the process. Alabama is in good shape with him early in the process. Early take is he will sign with Alabama. We will see how things go during the next several months. Wright talks Alabama visit

Daxton Hill

The Rivals100 safety from Oklahoma had a great visit to Alabama on Saturday. Hill and his family spent a a lot of time with Coach Saban. He is a definite take. He expects to return to Tuscaloosa this summer. Alabama is a major contender for his signature. Hill hasn't talked about his visit to Alabama yet. Hopefully we will have something with him in the next few days.

Brendan Gant

No surprise regarding his decommitment from Alabama on Sunday. I spoke with Gant on Sunday afternoon after he visited Alabama for A-Day. He said he did not speak to any Alabama coaches during the visit. Imagine how it may have been for him to take recent visits to Florida, Florida State and Miami- these schools trying hard to flip him. They spend as much time as possible with him. Then he goes to Alabama and doesn't speak to a single coach. Gant never spoke with Nick Saban regarding his decision in December. He committed only to former DBs coach Derrick Ansley. While he may rank high, he was not considered one of Alabama's top safety targets. Alabama does not plan to recruit Gant.

Jay Hayes
The Notre Dame DL grad transfer and current Oklahoma commitment is in route to Tuscaloosa. He is expected to spend two days visiting with the Crimson Tide for an official visit. We will know more about his trip.

On the new commitments

A great start to the weekend as Alabama reeled in Dazalin Worsham, 2020 four-star wide receiver from Hewitt-Trussville High School in Alabama, on Friday night, Taulia Tagovailoa, four-star quarterback from Thompson High School in Alabaster, Alabama, on Saturday;Tanner Bowles, three-star offensive tackle from Glasgow High School in Kentucky, on Sunday.

Worsham is a huge get for Alabama. He is one of the nation's elite players in 2020. He grew up an Alabama fan. There isn't much to worry about regarding his early commitment. He will also have Pierce Quick and Paul Tyson to deal with if he decides to start taking visits. He is solid. Daz goes in-depth on commitment

Taulia was only a matter of time. He likes to go by Lia. Alabama has its two quarterbacks in the 2019 class. Two tremendous leaders who are a huge boost to the recruiting class. These guys are really going help in terms of recruiting other players. It's huge for both of them as in-state QBs. They will attend all recruiting events and games this fall.

I'll admit I was surprised by the commitment from Bowles. I knew about his interest (listed him in the top OL targets in February), but wasn't sure where he was in the pecking order. Alabama expects to have an elite OL class especially with in-state players like Pierce Quick, Clay Webb and Amari Kight. I know Webb and Kight have yet to commit, but Alabama is in great shape for both. Alabama is also in in great position for Darnell Wright. Alabama plans to take five OL in this class. This is the group with the focus with Bowles on board. Alabama likes his ability to play any of the OL positions, but he will likely play guard. Bowles talks decision

Who's next to commit?

A lot depends on when players are ready to release their decisions. DJ Dale, three-star defensive tackle from Clay-Chalkville High School in Alabama, is a definite take. He could make a decision at any time. He had a great time in Tuscaloosa for A-Day. I believe he is on the verge of announcing a commitment. Alabama is high on the in-state prospect.

Amari Kight, four-star offensive tackle from Thompson High School in Alabaster, Alabama, seems like he will jump on board any day now. Kight grew up an Alabama fan. He is one of the best offensive tackles in the country. Brent Key has been all over this one. It also doesn't hurt to have 'Lia' Tagovailoa recruiting him. I expect a commitment from Kight soon.

Kevin Harris, four-star defensive end from Grayson High School in Loganville, Georgia, is scheduled to announce his decision on May 1. Harris took an official visit to Miami this past weekend. He is scheduled to spend Monday in Tuscaloosa. He will take an official visit to LSU this weekend. Alabama and Miami are his current top two. Alabama considers Harris one of its top outside linebacker targets.

Jayson Jones, 2020 defensive tackle from Calera High School in Alabama, announced a few weeks ago he will announce a decision on July 4. Georgia was his favorite at the time. He returned to Alabama for A-Day on Saturday, and said might announce sooner than expected. Jones then decided to hold off and wait until July 4 to announce. Alabama is in good shape. Alabama has been in good shape. He might wait until July 4, but it really won't surprise me if it happens sooner.

Jaylen McCollough, four-star safety from Hillgrove High School in Powder Springs, Georgia, made his way back to Alabama on Saturday. McCollough is very much considered a take by Alabama. He spent a lot of time with Coach Saban and Coach Scott during the visit. He said on Sunday night he plans to wait until the fall, but with the way things are moving in this class he may decide to go ahead and jump on board sooner rather than later.

Quick hitters on other top recruits who were in Tuscaloosa

Mohomoud Diabate: The in-state LB from Auburn spent a lot of time with Coach Saban, Tosh Lupoi and Josh Gattis (area recruiter). Alabama really likes this guy. He is a definite take. I spoke with Diabate on Sunday evening (story to post later today). Diabate said he has a few favorites, but not ready to say at this time. It's safe to say Alabama is one of those schools. He plans to wait until December to decide.

Siaki ika: The 6-3, 340-pound defensive lineman from Salt Lake City, Utah, visited Alabama with his family. The family had a great visit. Alabama is not turning down DJ Dale. Similar players. I know some on this board have been shouting for Ika, but decisions likely made down the road. Alabama will likely wait to see what happens with Dale before making a decision on a similar prospect.

George Pickens: The Auburn commitment was in Tuscaloosa for A-Day. I know there were some who thought he was going to UGA instead. Pickens still does not have an offer from Alabama at this point. I kind of expected him to receive one on Saturday. I'm still hearing it will likely happen sometime this spring.

Jordan Battle: A new player to know. The three-star safety (should be higher) from St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, visited Alabama on Saturday. Battle had a great visit to Alabama this weekend. Alabama also really likes his teammate, Braylen Ingraham, four-star defensive end, who was also in town for A-Day.

Will Reichard: The top kicker in the country from Hoover High School returned for the spring game. I can't imagine Alabama waiting, but there was definitely some positive energy regarding the freshmen- Bulovas and DeLong. We'll see if Alabama decides to wait. I think it's 50/50.

Timothy Smith: Alabama extended an offer to the 2020 defensive tackle from Sebastian River High School in Florida, on Saturday. You can mark him down as one of Alabama's top tier targets in next year's recruiting class.

Tate Ratledge: Alabama was excited to have one of the very best players in the Peach State for 2020 back in Tuscaloosa for A-Day. This is considered an Alabama vs. UGA battle for the elite offensive tackle.

A few elite players who were on the original list who did not make it to Tuscaloosa for A-Day included: John Emery, four-star running back from Destrehan High School in Louisiana, Jerrion Ealy, four-star athlete from Jackson Prep in Mississippi, and Laiatu Latu, four-star defensive end from Jesuit High School in Carmichael, California.

MOVING FORWARD

QB- Bama is good here..

RB- Major push to get John Emery on campus at some point. He visited Mississippi State this past weekend instead going to Tuscaloosa. He is very high on the Tide's wish list. May have to wait until the summer for him to get on campus. I really don't think Trey Sanders re-joins the class. I think Quavaris Crouch ends up at Clemson. Ole Miss commitment Jerrion Ealy is a possibility. Keilan Robinson and Joachim Bangda are realistic possibilities. Definitely keep an eye on those guys. LSU commitment Tyrion Davis is also still very much in the mix.

WR-Alabama wants to score big in Missouri this year. Marcus Washington and Jameson Williams out of St. Louis are two major targets. Alabama is also still heavily recruiting Illinois commitment Isaiah Williams from St. Louis. A few other receivers Alabama will heavily recruit include Jashawn Sheffield and Zion Puckett out of the Peach State. Jake Smith from Arizona will return to Tuscaloosa this summer.

TE-The plan has been to get two tight ends in this class. May only get one. The players Alabama is heavily recruiting include Keon Zipperer, Hudson Henry, Brayden Liebrock, and Jalen Wydermyer. Alabama is also very interested in Jude Wolfe. Zipperer seems like the mostly likely to join. Should the other guys visit during the summer.

OL-Most understand the current situation. Alabama has two OL commitments- Pierce Quick and Tanner Bowles. The plan has always been to take five. Clay Webb and Amari Kight are Alabama's only remaining in-state targets. Darnell Wright is the top out-of-state target. Alabama will recruit other players. Nothing is guaranteed. I think these five will sign with Alabama when all is said and done.

DL-A lot of players available at this position. Not sure many need to worry if Sopsher does sign with the Tide. Alabama is still making a major push for UGA commitment William Norton out of Memphis. Most are aware of the elite DL in Mississippi like Nathan Pickering, Jaren Handy, Byron Young and Charles Moore. All of those players are heavily recruited by Alabama.

I mentioned earlier how I expect DJ Dale to jump on board relatively soon. Another monster DL who seems to favor Alabama at this time is Faatuie Tuitele. The Rivals100 DT from Hawaii had a great trip to Alabama a few weeks ago. His family relationship with the Tagovailoas should pay off in a big way down the road. Sopsher (mentioned above) remains a top priority target.

Alabama loves five-star DE Zach Pickens out of South Carolina. Antonio Alfano is also high on the recruiting board. Alfano named Alabama one of his top three schools on Sunday night along with UGA and Penn State. To worry about the DL in this class is just plain silly. There are a lot, a lot of very good ones out there this year with high interest in Alabama. Alabama is going to sign a great DL class. More players will emerge in the spring/summer.

LB-Interesting to see what happens at linebacker especially after the Tide landed MLB Shane Lee last week. I definitely was not expecting Lee. Just didn't think the interest was as high on either side, but clearly I mis-judged. Alabama commitment King Mwikuta had a great time in Tuscaloosa for A-Day. Alabama won't take more than five linebackers. So who are the remaining targets?

Players like Nakobe Dean, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Christian Harris and Kevin Harris are safe. Those guys can commit when they are ready. Alabama also has high interest in players like Marcel Brooks, Kalen DeLoach and Keith McGuire.

I know we have talked about JuCo LB Lakia Henry a lot, but I haven't heard much regarding him lately. Alabama probably wants to get him on campus before making a decision. In-state backer Lavonta Bentley will need to attend camp. Nolan Smith has visited a few times, but it's hard to imagine him flipping from the Dawgs.

DB- Christian Williams is ELITE. I expect his stock to continue to rise. He will end up in the Rivals100 by the end IMO. Alabama lost Brendan Gant (did they really ever have him?) on Sunday. It really will not surprise me if Brandon Turnage breaks away from his commitment to Alabama at some point.

It's hard t0 predict what will happen. There are a lot of players with heavy interest in Alabama. A lot of players Alabama will take. Jaylen McCollough seems like the most likely DB to commit to Alabama. Noa Pola-Gates is wanted by Alabama. He is an elite player out of Arizona.

Dax Hill had a great time in Tuscaloosa. I also mentioned Jordan Battle as a new name to know on the recruiting trail. Most expect Derick Stingley to end up at LSU. It doesn't mean Alabama isn't recruiting him. He remains a top priority target.

More players to know with high interest from Alabama: Jeffery Carter, Akeem Dent, Nick Cross, Tyrique Stevenson, Travis Jay (FSU commitment), Jalani Williams, Warren Burrell, and D.J. Turner.

Keep an eye on the in-state DBs like Cordale Flott and Jaydon Hill. They can't commit to Alabama at this time, but both might receive offers after camp.

No, I can't tell you which ones Alabama will sign right now. I know Alabama is in it for most of these players. Alabama will see these players this spring and most will visit this summer.

Alabama coaches hit the road for spring evaluations on Tuesday and Wednesday. Keep in mind more names will emerge as key targets. I'm sure I left out a name or two, but tried to include every top Crimson Tide target in this update.

Recruiting - BONE: Insider Report | BamaInsider.com

I know Bone stated he left out some names, but I really hope we can get 4* WR DeVonta Lee. Additionally, I would like to see Tyrion Davis and John Emery join this class.

Back
Top Bottom