| PRO Mike Johnson Is Retiring

bama alum

Always one of my favorite players! A workhorse who never quit!

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/07/former_alabama_all-american_lo.html

Former Alabama All-American looking for new challenges after injuries end his NFL career
mike-johnsonjpg-f311b9d42f645084.jpg

Atlanta Falcons offensive lineman Mike Johnson holds on to a touchdown reception during an NFL game against the New Orleans Saints on Nov. 11, 2012, in the Superdome. (AP Photo)
Print Email
By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com AL.com
Follow on Twitter
on July 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM

When NFL players report to training camps later this month, offensive lineman Mike Johnson won't be going. A consensus All-American guard for Alabama's 2009 BCS national championship team, Johnson has decided to retire after five injury-marred seasons with the Atlanta Falcons.

"It's just been one injury after another since I got to the NFL," Johnson said on BlabTV in Pensacola last week. "Three out of the last four years, I had injured-reserve status. So I just decided it was best for me and my family and my future to move on to other things."

Johnson starred at Pine Forest High School in Pensacola before going to Alabama.

The Falcons selected Johnson in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft, but he didn't play during his rookie season after suffering a sprained knee late in training camp. In 2011, he played in two games before going on injured reserve with a foot injury.

During a preseason practice against the Cincinnati Bengals in 2013, Johnson suffered a broken leg and dislocated ankle that knocked him out for the season, just when he was penciled in as Atlanta's starter at right offensive tackle. Last year, Johnson sustained a season-ending foot injury in a preseason game against the Tennessee Titans.

"I think I have 12 screws overall," Johnson said of his three major surgeries, "so when I go through the metal detector at the airport, it's kind of disconcerting. I got a card from my doctor, just in case."

Johnson, who is 28, told the Pensacola News Journal that the injuries had taken their toll on him.

"After my last rehab, I thought I really had tried as best as I could," Johnson said. "Not only was I in pain, but I just couldn't move the way I was supposed to be moving anymore. It was the right decision. Now I am pretty excited about it."

Johnson had only one healthy season in the NFL. In 2012, he played in every game, made his only NFL start and caught a touchdown pass from Matt Ryan against the New Orleans Saints.

"I'm happy about what I did in the NFL, what I did with football," Johnson told BlabTV, "and I'm kind of ready for the next challenge, ready to make some new goals for myself."

FOR MORE OF AL.COM'S COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE OF THE NFL, GO TO OUR NFL PAGE

Johnson said he hadn't decided what he'd do next, although Crimson Tide fans can expect to see him at Bryant-Denny Stadium in the fall.

"I'm not in any hurry to make any decision either way," Johnson said. "I've thought about moving back to Tuscaloosa or Birmingham in Alabama, and I also like Atlanta. I'm just kind of doing stuff like this for right now. Kind of kicking doors in, seeing where the opportunities might lie and getting to know people. I've been on such a rigid schedule for the last 10, 14 years playing football. This is the first time I've ever had an August to relax. I'm looking forward to getting down here for the (Blue Angels show) and taking a vacation in August and doing things like that and enjoying some Alabama football games."

WATCH MIKE JOHNSON'S ENTIRE BLABTV INTERVIEW

Back
Top Bottom