| RECRUIT Late October update

1. Emory Jones, five-star quarterback from Heard County High School in Franklin, Georgia, returned to Alabama this past weekend for an official visit. He was in Tuscaloosa with his mother and departed from Alabama on Monday morning. Don’t expect to hear about his visit- as least from his perspective. One source described the visit, "as good as it could be." Jones is focused on his high school team.

Apparently, he is not even going to discuss recruiting with his high school coaches until the end of the season. Alabama is considered a major threat to the Buckeyes. He likes what he has seen out of the Crimson Tide's offense this fall. A final decision is not expected until after the season. Jones is taking an official visit to Ohio State this weekend for the game against Penn State. Keep an eye on a possible return visit from Jones next weekend against LSU. Alabama is likely going to wait to see what happens with Jones before deciding on any other QBs. From what I hear- Alabama really likes its odds at this time.

2. Penei Sewell, Rivals100 offensive tackle from Desert Hills High School in St. George, Utah, returned to Tuscaloosa for the first time since June for an official visit. Sewell returned with his family who is completely sold on Alabama. Sewell heavily favored the Crimson Tide after his visit in June, and expected to make a decision before the end of the summer. He decided to wait because of his relationship with Oregon OC Mario Cristobal. Sewell has developed a very strong relationship with the former Alabama OL coach. Most are well aware of Cristobal as an elite recruiter. Sewell had a fantastic trip to Alabama, and a few sources on each side think he will eventually sign with the Tide.

It's a case of program vs. coach. Will Cristobal remain at Oregon the next 3-4 years? That's what some on Sewell's side have been informing him. Alabama commitment Cameron Latu was also in Tuscaloosa for the game on Saturday. The Utah native spent a lot of time with Sewell. (We have a scheduled interview set with Sewell later today).

3. Bobby Brown, four-star defensive tackle from Lamar High School in Arlington, Texas, took his final visit to Alabama before announcing a decision. Alabama put for its best recruiting pitch to the No. 1 DL target on the Crimson TIde's board. Brown is considered a must-get, and someone Alabama can see making an impact as a true freshman. Brown was in Tuscaloosa with his mother. The word is his mom is on board with Alabama, but wants her son to make his own decision.

Brown also had an opportunity to speak with former Alabama All-American and current Detroit Lions DL A'Shawn Robinson who was in attendance for the game against the Vols. Robinson, also an Arlington native, spoke with Brown about his recruitment and why he chose Alabama. The key word I heard regarding Brown's visit, "Slam Dunk". A trip to Texas A&M this weekend remains on the schedule. Alabama feels very good about its current position with Brown. You never know what can happen on a final visit before an announcement. Texas A&M has been considered Alabama's toughest competition since the beginning. He is also very high on Oklahoma and Texas. Brown will announce a decision on November 2.

4. Antwaun Jackson, four-star defensive tackle from Blinn Community College in Brenham, Texas, took an official visit to Alabama. The visit was a little surprising. It was not announced until late last week. Jackson, originally from Georgia, signed with Auburn out of Cedar Grove High School in Ellenwood. Alabama believes the visit went really well. Alabama definitely thinks there is a chance, but tough to flip from the Buckeyes. Jackson is scheduled to return to Columbus this weekend. Alabama will continue its pursuit of Jackson. The only thing really to say is Alabama has a chance here.

5. Joshua Moore, four-star wide receiver and Jordan Moore, four-star safety from Yoakum High School in Texas, were also in Tuscaloosa for official visits. Joshua is committed to Nebraska, and his brother is committed to Texas A&M. Alabama is not heavily pursuing Jordan. Alabama just doesn't have room in this class. Joshua has been recruited by Alabama for a long time. I have not spoken with Joshua about the official visit yet. I've heard from a few sources the visit went really well. I think it’s very hard for him to stick with his commitment to the Cornhuskers considering the state of the program, and uncertainty of Mike Reilly keeping his job in Lincoln.

6. Emil Ekiyor, four-star offensive guard from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis, returned to Alabama on Saturday. It was the second time Ekiyor has visited the Crimson Tide this season. It should say a lot about where Alabama stands after returning to Tuscaloosa. Many feel Alabama is in good position to flip the Michigan commitment. He has visited Alabama several times since his commitment. He has been quiet since his return home. Is a flip on the horizon? The odds seem in Alabama's favor.

7. Asa Martin, four-star running back from Austin High School in Decatur, Alabama, returned to Tuscaloosa for the second weekend in a row. You always have to keep an eye on these visits. Alabama has yet to slow down its recruiting efforts in the state's No. 1 running back. Martin remains a high priority target. We've seen the amount of running backs used in the Tide's offense this fall. There is a chance Alabama can be without Damien Harris and Bo Scarbrough after this season if both decide to turn pro. Alabama wants to continue to have elite athletes in the backfield.

Martin likes what he has seen so far in the offense under first year OC Brian Daboll. Martin isn't going to show too much regarding the visits, but Alabama is giving him something to consider. Otherwise, he would not make back-to-back trips to Tuscaloosa as an Auburn commitment. No, he's not taking these visits to recruit for Auburn. I think it will still take a potential coaching change for a flip to happen, but things may get pretty interesting if he returns for an official visit- which is expected.

8. Andres Fox, three-star defensive end from Mobile Christian, also returned to Tuscaloosa. Fox was a late addition to the weekend list as he decided on Saturday morning to attend the game. Alabama missed on Adam Anderson, Rivals100 defensive end from Rome High School in Georgia, last weekend who opted to stay in-state and commit to the Bulldogs. It really wasn't a major surprise. Alabama continues to press hard for edge rushers in this class. Eyabi Anoma, Rivals100 defensive end from St. Francis High School in Baltimore, is at the top of the list. Alabama appears in good shape for him. Fox is also considered a take by the Crimson Tide. He is one of the few remaining in-state targets. Yes, Alabama will accept commitments from Anoma and Fox. I'm not sure why Fox has decided to wait as long to make a decision. He grew up an Alabama fan and spots are limited. It will not come as a surprise to see him announce within the next month.

9. Alabama welcomed several elite underclassmen to town on Saturday. Clay Webb, 2019 five-star offensive guard from Oxford High School in Alabama, is the top player in the state. It was the third time Webb has watched the Crimson Tide play this season. He attended Alabama's season opener against Florida State, and home opener against Fresno State. Alabama is in great shape.

King Mwikuta
, 2019 four-star linebacker from Troup County High School in LaGrange, Georgia, also retuned to Tuscaloosa. Mwikuta will announce his decision on December 15 between Alabama and Georgia. Alabama is considered the heavy favorite.

Paul Tyson, 2019 three-star quarterback from Hewitt-Trussville High School in Alabama, continues his climb as one of the top players in Alabama. He is having an impressive junior campaign. Expect an offer from the Crimson Tide at some point. Pierce Quick, 2019 Rivals100 offensive tackle, is teammates with Tyson, and one of Alabama's top commitments. Quick was also in Tuscaloosa on Saturday.

Some other top underclassmen who visited Alabama on Saturday included: Amari Kight, 2019 Rivals100 offensive tackle from Thompson High School in Alabama, Tualia Tagovailoa, four-star quarterback from Thompson High School in Alabama, Jalen Perry, four-star cornerback from Dacula High School in Georgia, George Pickens, four-star wide receiver from Hoover High School, Mohamoud Diabate, four-star defensive end from Auburn High School, Brandon Turnage, four-star cornerback from Lafayette High School in Oxford, Mississippi, Cortez Andrews, four-star safety from Godby High School in Tallahassee, William Norton, three-star defensive end from Christian Brothers in Memphis, Tate Ratledge, 2020 offensive tackle from Darlington School in Rome, Georgia, and Brady Ward, 2020 offensive tackle from St. Paul's in Mobile

10. Get ready for a Who's Who for LSU........

1 Andrew Bone, Yesterday at 3:04 PM

Recruiting - BONE: 10 recruiting thoughts | BamaInsider.com

Alabama makes Sewell family feel at home
Andrew Bone | Senior Recruting Analyst

bskskfjqnfxa2x3tiizi

Nick Lucero/Rivals.com

Penei Sewell,
Rivals100 offensive tackle from Desert Hills High School in St. George, Utah, took an official visit to Alabama this past weekend. The Crimson Tide rolled out the red carpet for the Sewell family.

"The visit was great," his father, Gabriel Sewell said. "It was really awesome. When we got there it was great. Everything was amazing. The game atmosphere was something else. I have never seen anything like it. It was a lot different than anything I've ever seen.

"Mom, Penei, and our younger son, Noah, went on the trip. We got in late Friday night. We were scheduled to get there around 2:00 p.m. The first leg of the flight was cancelled because of mechanical issues. We got in on late Friday night.

"It was our second time there. We did what you would do on official visits the first time we were there. We went through the facilities and did the academic tour. The visit allowed us to sit down with a lot of the support staff and academic staff.

"This visit was focused on the game day experience, and spending time with players and coaches. We were just getting a feel from the football side. We wanted to see the tailgating. We've always heard really good things. It held up to its reputation.

"We had a photo shoot. We spent time with players in the locker room pre-game. We had dinner with some of the coaches and everyone after the game. At halftime, we spent time with Coach Saban's wife (Terry) and some of the NFL players who were around. We were kind of in awe the whole time we were there. He spent time with Tua Tagavailoa and Jalen Hurts. Tua was his host. I know he had fun with those guys.

"Sunday, we got to eat breakfast at Coach Saban's home. We spent some real quality time with him and his wife and some of the coaches. We went down to the lake. We rode ATVs.

"It was great overall. We were shorted a couple of hours because of our flight delay. We came away from our visit really happy. It may be an understatement."

The comfort feeling is a strong selling point for a family who lives across the country. Alabama knocked it out of the park with Sewell.

"I would say the time we spent with Coach Saban at his home, and in his office was the best part of the visit," his father said. "I am a coach and father. I have a different perspective. Moms have a different take on things. They don't want them to go far.

"Alabama is far, but after the time visiting with Coach Saban in his office she had a very confident feeling. She is comfortable if this is his decision. She understands this is an opportunity of a lifetime. He will be taken care of both on-and-off the field and in the classroom. That stood out more than anything else. It was different for me knowing she had that feeling and comfort."

There are many things to like about Alabama including the southern hospitality. Sewell's father loved the many aspects of the trip.

"It's title town," he said. "You are set up to succeed at every aspect of the program. That's how it is. I have no problem if he has to travel all the way to Timbuktu to have success. I look at the numbers at Alabama, and the proof is there. You see the guys they have in the league.

"There is also something about that southern hospitality and family atmosphere. You have to show respect for people. That's the way I raised my kids. Everyone there seems to wear their emotion on their sleeve. Everyone is nice and genuine. It just makes us feel like we are home."

So what's next for Sewell?

"He has one more official visit left," his father said. "UCLA was his first Power 5 conference offer. It's just going to be tough to get there. We played last Thursday, the day before we left for Tuscaloosa. We are now in the playoffs. All the games are on Friday nights. We are focused on the playoffs.

"He would like to put this thing to bed, and go ahead and sign in December. We haven't really talked much since the visit. We usually talk about everything a few days after. We may talk about it this weekend. We will sit down and try to sort everything out. He has a big decision to make. We will try to help him sort through everything from all he has seen and experienced. It's hard. He will have to get it done."

Most assume the decision will come down between Alabama and Oregon. Another school remains in the mix.

"I think Utah is still in there," Sewell said. "We went there a few weeks ago. I think they surprised him. He had overlooked a few things. I think they caught his eye a little bit."

Alabama has some West Coast players on the team. The Crimson Tide also has a Utah native,

Cameron Latu,
in the current class.

"It's always nice to have some familiarity," his father said. "Tua is there. Cam is committed. It helps. Both times we were there he connected really well with those guys. Those guys know how you are feeling without saying anything. It's easier that way sometimes. I think he is very comfortable with the guys who are there."

Penei Sewell

Offensive tackle
RR: 6
Desert Hills
St. George, UT
6'5" 340 lbs Class of 2018
UNDECIDED

RANK

POSITION

NATIONAL

STATE

BamaInsider.com - Alabama makes Sewell family feel at home

How Alabama is handling the early signing period
Tony Tsoukalas | Alabama team writer

a4yemb4fgrvm2zggs2xi

Alabama head coach Nick Saban said the new early signing period is "hard to figure out." Photo | Getty Images

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Nick Saban isn’t thinking about LSU until next week, but the Alabama head coach never takes time off from recruiting. With the absence of a game this weekend, he will have extra time to pour over possible recruits.

That’s probably a good thing considering the recent changes in this year’s recruiting cycle. Saban has led Alabama to six recruiting titles in the past seven years but currently has the Crimson Tide ranked No. 34 in the nation. While most recruiting experts expect Alabama to end up with a top-5 class, certain changes are inevitable.

This year the recruiting calendar speeds up as recruits will have a brief early signing period from Dec. 20-22 before the February signing period opens up on Feb. 7.

“It’s been something that’s been hard to sort of hard to figure out, to be honest with you,” Saban said. “Back in the summertime we tried to figure out through information gathering, through prospects, are you going to be an early-signing guy, what’s your plan, or are you going to go to the February signing date like always. It was very difficult because a lot of guys weren’t ready to make a commitment to that. They hadn’t decided what they were going to do.

“So we worked very hard at recruiting, throughout the year, got a pretty good start on it I think, but we really have tried to leave it up to each individual prospect – and we haven’t put pressure on guys to be early signing guys, we haven’t tried to talk guys into waiting until February. So I guess we’re playing it by ear with each prospect.”

Alabama linebacker Rashaan Evans knows firsthand how taxing the recruiting process can be. The former five-star recruit from Auburn High School shocked the nation when he chose Alabama over the hometown Tigers. Evans, who was rated as the top outside linebacker and No. 14 player overall in the 2014 class, took his recruitment down to National Signing Day in February. Those final two months played a big part in his decision.

"I feel like those were probably the most important things for me,” Evans said. “I just wanted to make a good, smart decision and really just see who was probably in the top three teams that I really wanted to go to. With that decision, I felt that if I really just got a chance to talk to my family, that was probably the most important thing. I talked to my family about which team really needed me. I just looked at all of the things. Where I'd get my education and all the things like that. Once I took that into account, it started to get a lot easier to make that decision."

Evans realizes his situation isn’t the same for every recruit. When asked Wednesday what he would say to a recruit today his main advice was to “take the process slow.”

"I think the situation is different for every guy,” Evans said. “If you're very unsure, I'd say wait all the way until the end. I think once you do that, I think you'll have a good idea of who is the right place for you. Like I said, it's just different situations. If they feel the place they're thinking about is the right place, I'd say go for it."

While every recruit is different, Saban said Alabama is taking a patient approach and isn’t changing much in the way its recruited in the past.

BamaInsider.com - How Alabama is handling the early signing period

1. The big news of the weekend happened when Emil Ekiyor, four-star offensive guard from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis, flipped his commitment from Michigan to Alabama. The commitment was expected to happen shortly after his return visit to Alabama last weekend. Ekiyor was a pleasant addition, and very refreshing for the Crimson Tide after missing on key target, Bobby Brown, on Thursday. Ekiyor is recruited by Alabama to play center. He can also play guard.

2. Nadab Joseph, Rivals100 cornerback from Norland High School in Miami, appears as the next in line to commit to the Crimson Tide. Joseph expects to announce his college decision near the end of the week. Joseph is considered an Alabama lean. He spent a lot of time in Tuscaloosa during the summer before backing away from his commitment to LSU. Joseph attended the Alabama/FSU game in ATL. He is also scheduled to return to Alabama this weekend for an official visit. Expect Joseph to be on Alabama's commitment list before he arrives in Tuscaloosa.

3. Dominick Anderson, four-star tight end from Arizona Western in Yuma, decommitted from Texas last week. Anderson has remained in close communication with UA since his announced for the Longhorns instead of the Crimson Tide. Alabama feels good about its chances to land the top JuCo tight end. He has also been in contact with Louisville and Oklahoma. The recruiting momentum for Alabama should really kick into another gear these next few weeks. It won't come as a surprise if Anderson is on Alabama's commitment list soon.

4. Another potential flip we could see happen soon is Jacob Copeland, four-star wide receiver from Escambia High School in Pensacola. Copeland committed to Florida in early August instead of Alabama. Copeland has remained in close communication with Alabama. He has been in Tuscaloosa twice this season. Alabama assistant coaches Mike Locksley and Jeremy Pruitt went to see him on Friday. Copeland doesn't do many interviews. He hasn't said much since Jim McElwain was fired on Sunday. It will surprise many if he sticks with the Gators. Alabama is in good shape here.

5. A few other prospects who may jump on board soon will take official visits to Alabama this weekend. Jaylen Waddle, Rivals100 wide receiver from Episcopal High School in Houston, and Saivion Smith, four-star cornerback from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College in Perkinston. Waddle has been at the top of Alabama's wish list since the spring. It seemed like it would take a lot for him to leave his home state. Alabama is now considered the favorite, and has been for a while. Smith is also considered a strong Alabama lean. The former LSU signee/player has been to Tuscaloosa twice this season. Is the third time the charm?

6. Continue to keep a very close eye on Penei Sewell, Rivals100 offense tackle from Desert Hills High School in St. George, Utah. Alabama is closing in on gaining his commitment. His family had a great time in Tuscaloosa two weekends ago for his official visit. Tosh Lupoi also went to see him on Friday. Sewell has been torn between Alabama and Oregon for a while. It seems like his family is pushing for the Crimson Tide. He will not graduate until the spring, but his family wants the decision to come soon in order to go ahead and sign in December. Alabama feels good about its chances with Sewell. Sewell isn't the only OL still recruited by Alabama. Nick Petit-Frere,four-star offensive tackle from Berkeley Prep in Tampa, and William Barnes, Rivals00 offensive tackle from Apopka High School in Florida, remain on the recruiting board. Sewell and Petit-Frere are the only two Alabama will accept commitment from at this time.

7. Alabama missed on Bobby Brown, four-star defensive tackle from Lamar High School in Arlington, Texas, on Thursday. Brown selected Texas A&M. The Aggies lost to Mississippi State at home on Saturday 35-14. Alabama is still searching for defensive linemen in this year's class. Alabama extended an offer a few weeks ago to Christian Barmore, from Neumann-Goretti High School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

A new name to watch is Casey Rogers, defensive end from Avon Old Farms School in Avon, Connecticut. A former Syracuse Lacrosse commitment is now a football recruit. Alabama OC Brian Daboll went to see Rogers last week. The interest is starting to increase. Alabama plans to bring him in for an official visit at some point. James Williams, three-star defensive tackle from Callaway High School in Jackson, Mississippi, is another defensive tackle starting to gain some momentum with Alabama.

8. Emory Jones, five-star quarterback from Heard County High School in Franklin, Georgia, took an official visit to Ohio State this past weekend. Jones has yet to make any comments about his official visit to Alabama two weekends ago, and probably won't say much about the trip to Columbus. He definitely had an amazing trip. The way the game was going early for Penn State certainly played in favor for Alabama. The ending could have certainly helped the Buckeyes’ chances in keeping Jones on board. Alabama felt very good about its chances in flipping Jones prior to the visit. It's hard to say what will happen. I don't think he will make a sudden decision. He is still focused on his high school team, and will likely evaluate both schools once the season comes to an end. Alabama is bringing in Tanner McKee, Rivals100 quarterback from Centennial High School in Corona, California this weekend for an official visit. McKee won't enroll until 2020. Alabama also still remains in the mix for Jarren Williams, four-star quarterback and Kentucky commitment from Central Gwinnett High School in Lawrenceville, Georgia. Alabama OC Brian Daboll went to see Nick Patti, three-star quarterback and Pittsburgh commitment from St. Joseph's in Montvale, New Jersey, on Friday. Alabama does not plan on making a run at him.

9. I am interested to see if Alabama makes a move for Brandon Kaho, four-star linebacker from Reno High School in Nevada. The BYU commitment earned an offer from Alabama in July. He is returning this weekend for an official visit. Alabama remains the favorite for JJ Peterson, Rivals100 linebacker from Colquitt County High School in Moultrie, Georgia. It seems like Alabama will only take one of these two particular players. Vernon Jackson, three-star athlete from Boling High School in Texas, is on board. Alabama plans to use him as an inside linebacker. Kaho can be a potential back-up plan if Jackson or Quay Walker, four-star linebacker from Crisp County High School in Cordele, decide to go elsewhere.

10. It's an interesting year in-state. Alabama has one commitment- Jalyn Armour-Davis, four-star cornerback from St. Paul's in Mobile. Could this be a class where Alabama only signs one in-state player? Alabama hasn't offered many in-state prospects. The only in-state players with committable offers- Armour-Davis, Justyn Ross, Asa Martin, Coynis Miller, Seth Williams, Andres Fox. A few players are still getting evaluated- Jalen Cunningham, Michael Parker, Malik Langham, Harold Joiner. It's possible we could see some late offers.

Some believe Clemson is the favorite for Justyn Ross, five-star wide receiver from Central High School in Phenix City. I've spoke with a few sources who definitely consider Clemson a major threat to land the No.1 player in Alabama. Ross would not be considered a major loss if Bama lands Jaylen Waddle and Jacob Copeland. However, he is very high on Alabama's recruiting board and one they want to add in this class.

Alabama still has a chance with Asa Martin, four-star running back from Austin High School in Decatur. Martin remains Alabama’s top target at the position (outside of Zamir White). Martin attended Alabama's last two home games. It's very likely he will return to Alabama this weekend with Auburn on the road at Texas A&M.

Alabama Recruiting Board | BamaInsider.com

Justyn Ross is really weird to me. Kid is absolutely MASSIVE (like 6'5", 220) and runs like he deer so he gets those Julio comparisons, but I have been absolutely underwhelmed with him everytime I've seen him. Last year when Central played Enterprise, Enterprise had a hell of a defense. He and Enterprise's All-State corner went at it and even though the corner was 5'10" with lifts in his shoes he held Ross to two catches. They had a pretty weak QB so pretty much every play had a designed first option and if it wasn't there the QB would run. You could tell what play Ross was expected to get the ball because he would literally jog on all the other plays, including run plays when he should be blocking. This year Enterprise was awful, a defense full of sophomores, and I figured Ross a year later would be better and against a soft defense would rip it up. He still had just two catches, though he did have a touchdown and pretty much disappeared most of the time the starters were in. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Henry Ruggs brother is a different story. Kids only listed as a 3-star but holy hell is he a stud of an athlete. By far their best player on both offense and defense and those guys at R.E. Lee have speed all over the field. He was just clearly head and shoulders above everyone else. Shocked that Bama still hasn't even offered him. He could literally play receiver or linebacker (or even a huge safety).

Back
Top Bottom