| BSB/SB šŸ„Ž Late Comeback Falls Short for Alabama Softball Wednesday Against Florida State

3B costed the game. Two easy outs and just a terrible decision on the second play. Should have brout Montana in after the homerun. Of course qhen your team makes errors it really doesn't matter who is pitching. Tough one to watch.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. ā€“ A late push by No. 3 Alabama put the potential game-tying run in scoring position in the bottom of the seventh against No. 2 Florida State, but the Seminoles ended up edging out the Crimson Tide, 5-4, in front of a sold-out Rhoads Stadium Wednesday night.

Alabama (22-3) jumped ahead early on Florida State (25-1) as back-to-back singles from Ashley Prange and Ally Shipman set up Kaylee Tow for a towering three-run home run in the first inning to quickly give the Crimson Tide the 3-0 lead. In the top of the fourth, a single up the middle and a fielding error allowed an unearned run to cross for the Seminoles, but Alabama got a run back in the bottom of the fifth on a squeeze bunt from Jenna Johnson, driving in Savannah Woodard from third.

Florida State got a second chance with a two-out fielding error in the top of the sixth and took advantage, tying the game with a three-run home run in the next at-bat. A fielding error and RBI groundout in the top of the seventh then put the Seminoles ahead 6-4. With one out in the bottom of the seventh, Woodard laced a double into right field and Dallis Goodnight followed with an infield single to put runners at the corners. A wild pitch moved both up 60 feet, scoring a run to cut the deficit to 6-5 but a strikeout and groundout ended the late rally.

Woodard and Goodnight were both 2-for-3 batting eighth and ninth, respectively, with Woodard scoring twice. The home run was Tow's second of the season and her three RBIs tie a season high. Lexi Kilfoyl (3-2) took the loss in the circle, throwing 6.1 innings with just one earned run allowed and five unearned.

From Head Coach Patrick Murphy

"I want to thank Florida State for coming up on a midweek. It's their spring break as well and they came down here after playing in Nashville last night. If they don't come to us, this kind of atmosphere doesn't happen for college softball. It was a great game on national television and in front of 4,000 people here at Rhoads. It was just a fun night for softball that unfortunately didn't go our way. We competed really well. I thought we fought hard at the end. Our bottom of the order was awesome and the next time we are in this situation, I am confident we are going to come through."

but the Seminoles ended up edging out the Crimson Tide, 5-4, in front of a sold-out Rhoads Stadium Wednesday night.

A wild pitch moved both up 60 feet, scoring a run to cut the deficit to 6-5 but a strikeout and groundout ended the late rally.
Did not watch the game but just read this article. So which was it 5-4 or 6-5? Poorly written article or maybe my reading comprehension is lacking.

The final was 6-5. We had a hard time stringing together hits against Sandercock once she came in the game in the second inning. The small ball stuff was great to see.

Murph pushing out Skylar Wallace hurt tonight on the defensive side. Again, don't give up on this team. FSU is a fantastic team and scored 0 earned runs against us last night. Obviously we have to play better on the defensive side but we will be just fine.

It was catcher or nothing and to me that was a bit much. She is too good of a player and way too valuable to make that kind of demand. I am a huge Murph fan (my kid wants to play at Bama for him so bad) but even the best coaches make bad decisions at times. I realize he didn't have many options but that decision hurt.

It was catcher or nothing and to me that was a bit much. She is too good of a player and way too valuable to make that kind of demand. I am a huge Murph fan (my kid wants to play at Bama for him so bad) but even the best coaches make bad decisions at times. I realize he didn't have many options but that decision hurt.
That's not how the story was relayed to me. Murph asked her to work out at the position to be in relief, if needed, and that's when she started "balking" at the idea.

I will admit, I have only heard that from her parents so I do not have the staff's version on this. There are 2 sides to every story. I have no reason to not believe them but we do all tend to bend things to our "advantage" so maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Either way losing her was a big loss.

I will admit, I have only heard that from her parents so I do not have the staff's version on this. There are 2 sides to every story. I have no reason to not believe them but we do all tend to bend things to our "advantage" so maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Either way losing her was a big loss.

Where did she end up?

Back
Top Bottom