| FTBL Keys and questions in the Rematch

IMO...Georgia's offense depends heavily on being able to run the ball. Guessing they are still going to try to pound the rock. I believe they got away from it too early in part 1.
As I recall when the game was still within a score they had quite a "few second and manageables" where they went with their passing game about as many times as they did rushing. I want to say three of those second down rushing attempts left them with four/five yards left on third down: a one or two yard rush on second.

Let's say you're going to go with a Georgia win Monday night. Why?

Is it, one: Georgia is a better football team than Alabama? Or is it two, the often repeated "it's hard to beat a good football team twice in the same season?"

That's not to mention the belief the Bama staff would be happy to simply "run it at 'em" all day. Their interior has quite a few two down types that'll tire quickly.
Does the Cincy game make UGA respect the run a little more this time, maybe opening up more passing lanes? Or are they going to be so concerned with Bryce throwing for 400+ again that they commit to stopping the pass and open up a lot more running lanes? They kind of have to pick their poison here.

As I recall when the game was still within a score they had quite a "few second and manageables" where they went with their passing game about as many times as they did rushing. I want to say three of those second down rushing attempts left them with four/five yards left on third down: a one or two yard rush on second.

UGA was pretty predictable on second through fourth downs.

Second and 6 or less they passed 2 times compared to 9 rushes. Second and 7 or more happened 13 times and all were passes (one is listed as a run but it was not designed as it was a QB scramble when protection broke down).

Third down happened 12 times and only 1 was an actual rush ( another one is listed as a run but it was not designed as it was a QB scramble when protection broke down).

Fourth down was predictable. One Run at 4th and 1. Three passes at 4th and 7 or more.

Second and 6 or less they passed 2 times compared to 9 rushes. Second and 7 or more happened 13 times and all were passes (one is listed as a run but it was not designed as it was a QB scramble when protection broke down).
@PurlJam that's where I draw the line on second down. It's manageable when it's between four and six yards while a second and seven I'd consider a long, or passing, down.

A 2:7 ratio isn't what I'd consider abandoning the running game.

Now they're putting BRob/Billingsley/Latu in single coverage. That's not to mention the belief the Bama staff would be happy to simply "run it at 'em" all day. Their interior has quite a few two down types that'll tire quickly.
Yep I saw their pass rushers looked gassed. Davis on one pass rush was just standing there. Our OL guys did not have to do anything. I honestly expected the RB/TE more in the 1st game. I do believe we will see that more in the rematch and it will be needed.

On defense we have to shutdown the run and get some scoring separation.

I felt better about game 1 when everyone just wrote Bama off and showed them no respect and we have had a key injury and maybe more than one since then. On the respect side I do think Bama has everyone's attention this round but still not being shown their due respect. This is Smart's best shot but Saban is still on the other sideline. That is what I am hanging my hat on and that is not a bad one to hang your hat on.

Interesting thought as I was typing that last sentence, I recall Smart saying you can't out coach recruiting and that is true but now he is facing a team that has equal talent. Coaching is going to matter in this game.

Let's say you're going to go with a Georgia win Monday night. Why?

Is it, one: Georgia is a better football team than Alabama? Or is it two, the often repeated "it's hard to beat a good football team twice in the same season?"
If I were to go with Georgia to win Monday night, my reasoning would be because we are a very banged up team. Metchie out, I haven't heard the status for Ekiyor or Owens. I don't want to talk about our DB's. :) But, that is an IF... I'm laying all my Bama bucks on us... or what I have left of all my Bama bucks anyway. :p

Does the Cincy game make UGA respect the run a little more this time, maybe opening up more passing lanes? Or are they going to be so concerned with Bryce throwing for 400+ again that they commit to stopping the pass and open up a lot more running lanes? They kind of have to pick their poison here.
If UGA is respecting the run game based on Cincy's defense are they running out of their nickel as a base? I've seen a few references to the offensive line versus Cincy when referring to UGA as well. Where are the similarities between the two systems? It seems to me to be trying to draw a conclusion when comparing two things that don't have commonalities unless UGA goes with a 3-3-5 base that's "featuring" their STAR in a sense.

(OT: I wonder if Tykee ever paid his rent?)

So, I’m sure all of you noticed in the game versus Cincinnati that Jamison seemed to be running routes that Metchie would normally run and we really never tried to go vertical over the top.

Makes me wonder if they spent those three weeks prior to the game making some distinctive changes to the Offense and spent the first quarter running the ball to see if we were going to need to break out the updated passing version. Since Cincinnati clearly could not stop the run I think they just decided to keep the Offense in their pocket and save it for Georgia, I just wonder if we are going to see a version we have not seen yet.

Not that I think Jamison will not run vertical routes but just makes me wonder

So, I’m sure all of you noticed in the game versus Cincinnati that Jamison seemed to be running routes that Metchie would normally run and we really never tried to go vertical over the top.

Makes me wonder if they spent those three weeks prior to the game making some distinctive changes to the Offense and spent the first quarter running the ball to see if we were going to need to break out the updated passing version. Since Cincinnati clearly could not stop the run I think they just decided to keep the Offense in their pocket and save it for Georgia, I just wonder if we are going to see a version we have not seen yet.

Not that I think Jamison will not run vertical routes but just makes me wonder
Intermediate routes may be more in his future....
If uga picks up pressure....and if BY needs more quick throws ....

I agree that it is hard to beat a good team twice in the same year. And motivation is the number one reason. I think the second reason is game planning....you can review film against your team and make adjustments. I believe CNS can out-coach CKS any time. With that, I believe we will see a different game plan from Bama. More BRob. More TE's catching passes. Maybe more screens and sweeps. Take advantage of Georgia's aggression. But, what do I know. RTR

A silly football prediction isn't going out on a limb. A prediction has no risk to you, thus no limb 🙃
Oh … sorry … I didn’t realize the use of figures of speech would be frowned upon by some. No matter, I’ll double down and go out on another limb to bet that if you go back through your comments you’ll find instances when you’ve actually used one or two yourself. 😉

I'll have to look for the numbers to be specific here but I'm confindent in saying they were sending six a little over 45% of the time. By "going all out" are you suggesting they'll now send seven?

If they do they're setting themselves up for a bigger defeat than last time: their secondary can't play man on an 11 man personnel front. They couldn't do it sending six.

If it was just a matter of "the defense didn't do it right" why wasn't there a change in the game? Their defense didn't do a bad job. Alabama only scored on two of its last seven possessions as they were pulling away.

The problem is just that...as Alabama was pulling away.

I'll gladly grant "Georgia didn't play a good game on defense" as long as its framed with "because they were playing Alabama." Even Kirby, in a round about way, framed it as such mentioning they weren't winning man on man battles.
If you go back and watch the game, the rushed in a very narrow lane and tried to not rush wide much. In the Auburn game and some in the aTm game against us, the rush had best success out wide making our Tackles have to step out to reach them. uGA seemed to more "mush" rush up the middle to try and collapse the pocket around BY instead of trying to go "around" the blockers to "get" to BY... if that makes sense. I would expect uGA to test the edge pressure a bit more in this next game over the previous pocket collapsing rush.

Just my 2 cents on my observations.

I believe you're hitting on where Kirby and his staff are thinking here (more so than your comments on Bennett earlier.)

You've seen a lot talk about Georgia needing to change pressure whereas I see few mentioning they should consider a stronger coverage package. I can see reason for UGA to take this approach because Metchie is out. That comes with a "catch." Now they're putting BRob/Billingsley/Latu in single coverage. That's not to mention the belief the Bama staff would be happy to simply "run it at 'em" all day. Their interior has quite a few two down types that'll tire quickly.
So tough to scheme against at team that focuses it's own offensive identity around "Take what the Defense Give You", and has the talent at all positions to hurt you.

So tough to scheme against at team that focuses it's own offensive identity around "Take what the Defense Give You", and has the talent at all positions to hurt you.
I think this is why Saban really knows the best offense is a multiple offense and balanced. The hardest to defined. That is also why he wants his defense to be multiple as well because you have to defend all types of offensive schemes just not usually in the same game which takes you back to the comment on the offense being multiple. At this level if you have a weakness it will get exposed.

BY, the OL and DL's need to play as effective in the rematch as they did in round 1. Oh and did I mention no turnovers!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom