| FTBL Keep The Rammer Jammer Forever

When should the rammer jammer cheer be done?

• Only after big wins of 14 points or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only after beating a rival or big time opponent

• Never. It is unsportsman like.

• Total voters

RTRGrad2006

Verified Member
I posted this on my website. I have started an official petition to keep the rammer jammer. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures I will take it to President Witt's door myself. I will have it video taped and posted it on my website. I will not be satisfied with just hanging it to someone at the door, I will wait for President Witt and give it to him myself.

I ask that each person who supports the rammer jammer to sign the petition. Thanks and roll tide!

Dear Those Who Want To Stop The Rammer Jammer - This discussion comes up about once a year. It hasn't been stopped yet, and it won't be stopped so get over it.

I’m not in Tuscaloosa for the next couple of weeks, I'm in Huntsville on a mini vacation. So I’ve been scrambling for news for the website and for all of you members. So today I’m looking around and I read over an article that said the Rammer Jammer cheer could be on the way out. This is From the Student Newspaper. The article was written on May 2nd, so it's not breaking news, but not old news either.

I shrugged the idea off again, like I do everytime this comes up, and then I stopped and thought; wait, the rammer jammer cheer could be out? Hey there's something that will get people going Smiley

So what the heck is going on? Seems as if the Student Government Association is trying to get a proposal going to ban the very popular cheer.

In 2003 the UA athletics department requested the cheer only be played if the Tide was winning in the last two minutes of the game. So that is pretty much ok with me, I wouldn’t mind them adding in “as long as we’re winning by more than 5 or 7.”

Then in I remember in 2005 on the Homecoming ballot, there was a question asking if students were in favor, or not in favor of the rammer jammer. An overwhelming 98% said that they were in favor of it.

So here we are again, trying to get the rammer jammer banned from Alabama Football games. And why? Because there is a certain group of individuals who think that the rammer jammer is not appropriate for college football. They think that it is not very sportsmanlike to say “We just beat the hell out of you.”

Well, I’m proud to say. The Rammer Jammer isn’t going anywhere. These people who are so apposed to it, can just not say it. When 90,000 people sing the same cheer anytime we win, you can bet it’s going to need major momentum to get banned from the football games; and it doesn’t have that momentum.

Why don’t those apposed to it start a fight against something that means something. Start a campaign for AIDS awareness, SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), or Cancer Awareness.

Go ahead SGA, start a proposal for something that is going to better society, not restrict it. Leave the rammer jammer, just like it is, otherwise you may get “the hell beat outta you.”

Thanks guys.

I'm not against the rammer jammer cheer as long as it is used properly. Doing the cheer when you've just beat someone by anything less than 14 points is ridiculous IMO. Or doing it to any of the wind directional schools or their like is just poor taste at anytime, any score.

Bama Bo said:
I'm not against the rammer jammer cheer as long as it is used properly. Doing the cheer when you've just beat someone by anything less than 14 points is ridiculous IMO. Or doing it to any of the wind directional schools or their like is just poor taste at anytime, any score.

If we beat UT or Auburn by 1 point, I want to hear Rammer Jammer LOUD!!!!!! Other than that I agree with your statements Bo. :D

Bama1966 said:
Bama Bo said:

If we beat UT or Auburn by 1 point, I want to hear Rammer Jammer LOUD!!!!!! Other than that I agree with your statements Bo. :D

I 2nd that '66. Beating UT by 3 on a last second field goal in '05 was definitely worthy of Rammer Jammer. a$#

BamaDelta said:
Bama1966 said:
Bama Bo said:

I 2nd that '66. Beating UT by 3 on a last second field goal in '05 was definitely worthy of Rammer Jammer. a$#

I 3rd that.

You got to hear it in close rivalries, but not so much when you beat Vandy by 3. :?

That was what I was trying to say 66, it just came out wrong.

BTW, I added a poll to this thread to get more of an idea on how everyone here stands on this issue.

Bama1966 said:
Bama Bo said:

Totally agree

:roll: Will this thing ever be resolved. I'll try and speak for the band on this one.

First of all, I can almost guarantee you that if we beat the Barn, Tennessee, LSU, by a combined three points, RJ will be ringing throughout that stadium which brings up another point.

Second, the restriction that was put on the band for playing RJ starting in 2003 was no more pre-game and that the cheer could be played with 2 minutes left with us leading by 14 points or more. We've kinda shyed away from the whole 14 points deal during 2005 because we were only winning by three points and I guess Coach Moore really wasn't getting on to us. I can remember us not playing RJ in 2005 against Ole Miss but that's because it was an away game.

Which brings me to the last situation. I totally agree that with most of you guys, we should only play RJ if we really "beat the hell outta them." However, we, the band, got a rude gesture by the entire student section during the Vandy game this past season when they booed us because we only played RJ once. It certainly hurt every single one of us to hear our own student section boo us because they didn't get their RJ fix on a game that was crappy as you can get besides losing. Which showed us that the student section wants to hear the cheer no matter what.

Our band director put it in real good words. There are people that like chocolate-chip cookies and those that like sugar cookies. When you can only bring out sugar cookies, you upset the people who only like chocolate-chip because you didn't serve them. You're just not going to please everybody.

I would like to continue hearing Rammer Jammer cheer every time I watched 'Bama on TV here at my country and when we're beating a big rival on a special game or we're leading by several points in the last minutes... This cheer is part of the tradition and doesn't have any sense remove it.

I will not forget that game against the gators...

I signed the petition too.

Can we now have a poll to get rid of the ridiculously long lead-in/intro to Yea Alabama? When we score a touchdown, it seems that the band doesn't actually get to the "Yea Alabama" part of Yea Alabama until the PAT is practically going through the uprights. That may be a bit of an exxageration, but it seems very anticlimactic to me to not get into the actual song until well after the scoring play has ended. I hate it the way it is now. I prefer the old days when I was in school and Yea Alabama were the first notes played in those situations. The lead-in may work OK in the pre-game on the field; it may help build enthusiasm to a crescendo. But after a touchdown, it just doesn't work. You've already got the sudden burst of excitement...having Yea Alabama not come in until 20 or 30 seconds later is anticlimactic and does nothing to add to the enthusiasm, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom