| NEWS Judge sentences former Las Vegas Raider Henry Ruggs to 3-10 years in prison

So a human life is worth only three years now. How disappointing. I hope he is on probation for a minimum of 30 years. I despise drunk drivers and people who endanger others while driving recklessly. There are mistakes and then there are horrific consequences of horrible choices. He may have to live with the consequences of his actions, but that poor girl doesn't get to live at all. And her family doesn't get to see her ever again. Reprehensible.

He got off easy, IMO. Not sure what the family of the young lady was pushing for (if anything), but in cases like that, I'd tend to side with their wishes as long as they are reasonable and within the sentencing guidelines. The worst part of it all, was the way she died, while Ruggs failed to assist. I'd imagine his level of intoxication had at least something to do with that, but still... that was tough to get past. I actually thought about Ruggs last week while in Vegas. The Top Golf, where his night first went off the rails, is on the MGM Grand property, and I saw it nearly every time I left the hotel... it would immediately make me think of him ruining both his career and her life over simply not using an Uber/Lyft/cab, which the area is overflowing with. Hate it for him, but more so, hate it for that poor woman's family.

I am VERY curious if he gets three years and gets out if the NFL would ever allow him to return... if he can maintain his fitness. I personally feel he should lose that opportunity forever and never be given that lifestyle again after he abused it and took someone's life.

I understand "he's got to live with that the rest of his life", but some people don't give a shit and can move on and it'll never hinder them again. He may think of it time to time, but I'm not sold on him "living with it" being a reason to ever see him in a different light after such a selfish decision. Driving drunk is one thing (a very bad thing), driving over 100mph is another, but doing both at the same time just shows you didn't care.

I am VERY curious if he gets three years and gets out if the NFL would ever allow him to return... if he can maintain his fitness. I personally feel he should lose that opportunity forever and never be given that lifestyle again after he abused it and took someone's life.

I understand "he's got to live with that the rest of his life", but some people don't give a shit and can move on and it'll never hinder them again. He may think of it time to time, but I'm not sold on him "living with it" being a reason to ever see him in a different light after such a selfish decision. Driving drunk is one thing (a very bad thing), driving over 100mph is another, but doing both at the same time just shows you didn't care.
Well we've seen plenty of players who return to NFL...

Nevada law: No less than two, no more than 20. He got 3 to 10 in his plea agreement. (SC is one to 25.)

I'd imagine someone will file a FOIA to get the plea agreement. Right now we're only getting half of the picture.
Plus he won't get time credit served, and he isn't eligible for parole until Year 3. So I can see him doing full 3 years... but after that he's up for parole each year after that. I agree I need to see the plea agreement.. that maybe he agreed to do 2 years... and They will let him go.

Plus he won't get time credit served, and he isn't eligible for parole until Year 3. So I can see him doing full 3 years... but after that he's up for parole each year after that. I agree I need to see the plea agreement.. that maybe he agreed to do 2 years... and They will let him go.

I may be remembering wrong, but I think that former astronaut that killed 2 young girls (DUI) just outside Tuscaloosa (the city, not the county) on 82 a few years back ended up with a similar deal. That story was equally gut wrenching, at least.

I may be remembering wrong, but I think that former astronaut that killed 2 young girls (DUI) just outside Tuscaloosa (the city, not the county) on 82 a few years back ended up with a similar deal. That story was equally gut wrenching, at least.

Had to look it up, it is a little similar in terms of how much each will likely serve...

Had to look it up, it is a little similar in terms of how much each will likely serve...

CA is four to 10 with a heavier fine.

The notion "he got off light" isn't true. His sentence is similar to what others would get in other states: pretty even handed when you look at other cases.

Driving drunk is one thing (a very bad thing), driving over 100mph is another, but doing both at the same time just shows you didn't care.

Very very true.....

Might care ...but certainly are irresponsible......

So much we do....either not thinking...or being irresponsible....or just being stupid....that we get away with...
guilty here...maybe others are also...am sure i am not the only one...

But in reflecting.... feel lucky to have survived....

Henry will be fine . I pray he continue to learn from this and continue to find a way to contribute to society in the positive manner. I wish him well.

I pray both families find peace and forgiveness and are able to heal from this.

It does not matter what we think or do... At the end of the day, it's between them and God .. and God forgives... And heal. They will be okay.

CA is four to 10 with a heavier fine.

The notion "he got off light" isn't true. His sentence is similar to what others would get in other states: pretty even handed when you look at other cases.

I think his sentence is pretty much in line with what most expected, the 'got off light...' notion, to me, is more about what was deserved, not what was realistically expected. The admissibility concerns around his BAC sample certainly helped him though, assuming the prosecution was legitimately nervous about it.

Back
Top Bottom