| FTBL JPW needs to improve in these two ways to be good

Swamptick

Verified Member
Don't get me wrong. JPW is a good QB...even if it did not show against Vandy. Not every incompletion was his fault. We had several dropped passes.

There are and have been, however, some SERIOUS problems with his game.

First and foremost (I cannot believe we don't hear more about this)....he never really seems to go through his reads. Go back and look at all his films. This is the most disturbing thing to me. He seems to snap the ball, ACT like he is scanning the field for a split second, and then look right at ONE reciever. This might not be a big deal against Vandy but it will matter against LSU and the Barn. A good DB or LB will read him EVERY time and if the ball is not DEAD on then it will be an interception. Which brings us to point 2.

Second (and not as big a deal-although still important) he seems to have a tendancy to float and overthrough the ball. This would not be a big deal if it was not DEAD obvious who he was throwing to every time.

Again, I am a JPW fan and think he is a good QB. Not bashing the man. Just kind of suprised nobody else (including the media an coaches) is really calling him out on this.

Thoughts?

I agree with your assessment. He showed a third weakness last year, when he held onto the ball too long and took some sacks when he should have just found an empty space on the filed and thrown it away. There is a big difference between 2nd and 10 and 2nd and 22. Arkansas figures to test him more in this area than our first two opponents.

Well, I won't panic just yet. If he has a bad game this week the questions will become even larger though. Supposedly he worked all summer with DJ (and some other WR ?) throwing routes over and over. There should be a total comfort level there. Right now there is not.

He was totally out of the game Sat. I don't know what it was and I don't know why he couldn't shake it. I'm sure the staff was doing all they could to get into his head. Why would our veteran QB look lost against the likes of a Vandy D? ;scr

You guys that claim "it was just one game" need to be open to the fact it might be more than that. I'll keep open to your "it was just one game" theory and hope you're right for now.

I guess my biggest concern is we haven't seen JPW improve game over game since he took over. It's his team, and he has to perform. Maybe Grant can carry us all year, but I think we'll have to have more.

I posted about him overthrowing the ball earlier today; I haven't decided that this is a one game problem, but I am hoping it ends up being that. Last year his offensive line gave him problems, hopefully he can start feeling comfortable back there this year and really make the throws we know he can.

I agree - We should be singing his praises right now - not wondering what is going on. He definately does not "look for everyone open" because there were several times someone was open but he was focused on one receiver only. And I may be wrong - but has he not thrown a touchdown pass yet this year?
Saban's comments didn't hide the fact that he certainly noticed it as well. I am sure he will get it corrected.

BamaDelta said:
Well, I won't panic just yet. If he has a bad game this week the questions will become even larger though. Supposedly he worked all summer with DJ (and some other WR ?) throwing routes over and over. There should be a total comfort level there. Right now there is not.

He was totally out of the game Sat. I don't know what it was and I don't know why he couldn't shake it. I'm sure the staff was doing all they could to get into his head. Why would our veteran QB look lost against the likes of a Vandy D? ;scr

You guys that claim "it was just one game" need to be open to the fact it might be more than that. I'll keep open to your "it was just one game" theory and hope you're right for now.

I guess my biggest concern is we haven't seen JPW improve game over game since he took over. It's his team, and he has to perform. Maybe Grant can carry us all year, but I think we'll have to have more.

I guess I fall into that category of "it was just one game" but I am always open to the fact it can be something else too and if, against Arkansas, there is no improvement then I will begin to grow more concerned.

ijijmijij said:
I posted about him overthrowing the ball earlier today; I haven't decided that this is a one game problem, but I am hoping it ends up being that. Last year his offensive line gave him problems, hopefully he can start feeling comfortable back there this year and really make the throws we know he can.

This is a good point. He may be accustomed to having a poor OL and just can't get it in his head that he has a decent one this year.

Swamptick said:
ijijmijij said:

This is a good point. He may be accustomed to having a poor OL and just can't get it in his head that he has a decent one this year.

I was thinking the same thing about his lack of faith in the O-line. I know that he has spoken about his confidence in the O-line, maybe he just hasn't settled in completely. I also was curious if the new staff has done some "tweaking" with his mechanics and if he hasn't settled into that as well. Anyway, I have yet to lose confidence in him as a QB, and I look for him to have a big game this week. I believe him to be too much of a competitor for him not to sharpen up a little.

One thing that spooked me was a late throw to D.J. Hall. Hall was obviously the primary receiver and open about 7 to 10 yards off the line(with his arm in the air). JPWs throw was too late and too long. The safety had already caught up also. Very indecisive throw.

If they are not doing many progressive reads, why aren't they doing more timing routes. McCoy and Hall can out jump..out step most any SEC dbs. IMO

Is this Watts-Zow all over again? Are people going to start calling for McElroy over Wilson due to a bad game.

Zow took alot of heat for the downfall in 2000, but he was the better of the 2 QB's. See 1999 and most of 1998. As a starter against Auburn wasnt he 3-1?
98,99,01. (forgot about the sleet bowl of 2000)

See what a good running game can do for a QB.

RollTideinGA said:
Is this Watts-Zow all over again? Are people going to start calling for McElroy over Wilson due to a bad game.

Zow took alot of heat for the downfall in 2000, but he was the better of the 2 QB's. See 1999 and most of 1998. As a starter against Auburn wasnt he 3-1?
98,99,01. (forgot about the sleet bowl of 2000)

See what a good running game can do for a QB.

I don't think so. It was a weak spot Saturday so naturally it will be talked about. A win over Arkansas this week will help to diminish this talk.

I don't think it was one game. I thought his passes were consistently high against WCU. He got bailed out, statistically, by some great catches. He was off on a number of throws Saturday, but he short crossing routes were most noticeable to me. The one throw that stands out is the one where DJ had a couple of steps on the defender and the throw was so behind him it allowed him to get a hand in at the last moment. An accurate pass and DJ would have had room to roam.

Do y'all think Saban be quick to pull JPW if he really starts struggling?

RTR,

Tim

Great passing qbs without superb running ability are relaxed in the pocket...ala T.Brady and J.Montana. IMO Wilson needs to just settle down and quit overstriding. He seems a little too nervous to me. I'm certainly confident in the coaching staff to recognize what they need to do with JPW or any qb for that matter though.

I am very confident in this coaching staff playing the right QB. They are the ones who see them every day in practice, know their strengths and weaknesses, any nagging injuries, etc. Plus they are the ones whose jobs are at stake if they make really bad decisions.

We all saw the same things on throws that JPW missed. I just hope that it was an off day.

Guys guys...don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE JPW supporter. I think he is better than most people think he is.

If I was to guess, however, I think he is nervous because of the new system among other things. I think he is standing on the edge of a cliff and the staff needs to talk him down before he goes OVER the cliff. If he gets it in his head that he is a jitterbug then it could be bad for us.

I think he will overcome it though.

Maybe the guy doesn't know how to act/react since Bob Connelly isn't there teaching the blocking schemes anymore? :wink: Maybe he has to be under duress?

Seriously...what It Takes Eleven said earlier was spot on.

Yes.....I would think he would pull him if he "can not protect the Defense." JP can get away with floaters, no throws, late throws, throws to get your receivers killed etc against WC and Vandy but now it gets serious. I like him as our QB and hopes he settles down and realizes there are 21 guys behind him to help. If not, that's why Mc and Fanz were out taking reps and learning the new system too. I don't think he would hesitate nor should he if he feels it best for our team.

billfish said:
Maybe the guy doesn't know how to act/react since Bob Connelly isn't there teaching the blocking schemes anymore? :wink: Maybe he has to be under duress?

Seriously...what It Takes Eleven said earlier was spot on.

Yes.....I would think he would pull him if he "can not protect the Defense." JP can get away with floaters, no throws, late throws, throws to get your receivers killed etc against WC and Vandy but now it gets serious. I like him as our QB and hopes he settles down and realizes there are 21 guys behind him to help. If not, that's why Mc and Fanz were out taking reps and learning the new system too. I don't think he would hesitate nor should he if he feels it best for our team.

I hate to mention this at the risk of sounding like a naysayer but I will anyway because I'm naturally analytical...

What else will get you killed? Interceptions. He had one, but honestly if Vandy hadn't dropped balls/been a foot out of bounds he may have had 3-4 INT's. I'm talking about CLOSE calls here, not just "could've been an INT".

Ahhhh.....damn. I'm just going to wait until Saturday....

Let's GO JP!

ok guys juss wondering if you guys thought that maybe he was juss nervous about it being the first away game and that the hype that they might get beat.i mean think about it going in there house being under a new system and not really having any real passing plays in the WC game.i think that major needs to work with him all week on all the fundalmentals and the routes they will be using in there gameplan.well jp ive watched you take your high school team to many championships and hopefully i will get too see it with our team in the future good luck my friend.

roll tide !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom