| FTBL JPW needs to improve in these two ways to be good

ijijmijij said:
I hate to mention this at the risk of sounding like a naysayer but I will anyway because I'm naturally analytical...

What else will get you killed? Interceptions. He had one, but honestly if Vandy hadn't dropped balls/been a foot out of bounds he may have had 3-4 INT's. I'm talking about CLOSE calls here, not just "could've been an INT".

Ahhhh.....damn. I'm just going to wait until Saturday....

Let's GO JP!

I'm with you, but then again everyone here knows I worry about everything when it comes to Alabama football. Those int's were there for the taking Sat. :? Thank goodness Vandy didn't take 'em.

This Arkansas defense obviously doesn't come in with much hype. I sure don't want them to get confidence early and/or a free gift by JPW. If they team up confidence on D with confidence on O...oh well, let's don't go there.

This has only been mentioned once or twice in this thread and no one seems to have taken notice. Could it be that he has a brand new offense that he may not have a complete grasp of yet? I mean, he spent two years learning Shula's offense but has only had 6 months to learn this one. Even Cecil says it might be a little unfair to expect him to have a full mastery of the offense right now.

I think we just need to give the guy a little bit of time. Sure, he floated a few passes and it sucks to watch DJ get overthrown, but he also made some damned good passes. If it continues and he can't pick it up, fine, bring in McElroy. Personally, I think he'll be fine in the long-run.

He was nervous, though he calmed down in the fourth quarter. I am sure hes putting alot of weight on his shoulders right now, and I am sure the coaches recognize that.

He will be better preped for the Arkansas game, thats what that two point conversion on a pass told me. I don't think this guy needs anymore pressure than he already has.

I wonder if I am the only other person who thought that the pass from Wilson to Walker in the endzone was intentionally to test Wilson a bit. It isnt an easy pass, but he nailed it.

Just need to give him some peace of mind.

Also, in the fourth, his decisions seemed to get better. Maybe not accuracy, but as far as throwing it away and such.

moreno_iv said:
This has only been mentioned once or twice in this thread and no one seems to have taken notice. Could it be that he has a brand new offense that he may not have a complete grasp of yet? I mean, he spent two years learning Shula's offense but has only had 6 months to learn this one. Even Cecil says it might be a little unfair to expect him to have a full mastery of the offense right now.

I think we just need to give the guy a little bit of time. Sure, he floated a few passes and it sucks to watch DJ get overthrown, but he also made some damned good passes. If it continues and he can't pick it up, fine, bring in McElroy. Personally, I think he'll be fine in the long-run.

Very good points, moreno.

moreno_iv said:

This is my assesment as well. I think I even mentioned it earlier in this thread.

bamaboy420 said:
ok guys juss wondering if you guys thought that maybe he was juss nervous about it being the first away game and that the hype that they might get beat.i mean think about it going in there house being under a new system and not really having any real passing plays in the WC game.i think that major needs to work with him all week on all the fundalmentals and the routes they will be using in there gameplan.well jp ive watched you take your high school team to many championships and hopefully i will get too see it with our team in the future good luck my friend.

I hope so as well.

roll tide !!!!!

I think if JPW doesn't show a lot in practice this week, and he continues to be off against Arkansas, Saban will probably put in GM to see how he does... maybe that will be what JPW needs to get better, but I know Saban knows JPW's potential and will bring out the best of him in whatever way it takes

Swamptick said:
Don't get me wrong. JPW is a good QB...even if it did not show against Vandy. Not every incompletion was his fault. We had several dropped passes.

There are and have been, however, some SERIOUS problems with his game.

First and foremost (I cannot believe we don't hear more about this)....he never really seems to go through his reads. Go back and look at all his films. This is the most disturbing thing to me. He seems to snap the ball, ACT like he is scanning the field for a split second, and then look right at ONE reciever. This might not be a big deal against Vandy but it will matter against LSU and the Barn. A good DB or LB will read him EVERY time and if the ball is not DEAD on then it will be an interception. Which brings us to point 2.

Second (and not as big a deal-although still important) he seems to have a tendancy to float and overthrough the ball. This would not be a big deal if it was not DEAD obvious who he was throwing to every time.

Again, I am a JPW fan and think he is a good QB. Not bashing the man. Just kind of suprised nobody else (including the media an coaches) is really calling him out on this.

Thoughts?

Bamatilldeath said:
Great passing qbs without superb running ability are relaxed in the pocket...ala T.Brady and J.Montana. IMO Wilson needs to just settle down and quit overstriding. He seems a little too nervous to me. I'm certainly confident in the coaching staff to recognize what they need to do with JPW or any qb for that matter though.

I'll agree he's had some problems, but don't agree he's over-striding. Comparing what I've seen on tape this year to last year, he appears to be taking steps a good 1/2 a foot to short.

With over-striding you normally see ball fall short, or even look like they've been thrown into the ground.

I noticed as well from Saturday's game that when he came out from under center his head would go straight to the WR he was going to. He did that last year as well. Seems like he has it in his head coming out of the huddle on who he is going to. I saw one pass play Sat. he had a RB open in the middle of the field, get it too him and he picks up positive yardage, instead he goes deep and misses the WR.
Everyone talks about a he is learning a new system, he has played with DJ a whole season, they have practiced I don't know how many hours, I can't see where a new system causes him to throw behind recievers, overthrow recievers and passes sail on him. I am no coach or former QB, but seems to me it may be a mechanics thing or rushing the pass or not comfortable. Just makes me wounder if we are behind in a game and he is missing, how long before he is pulled to give McElroy a shot. We were ahead last Sat. and the running game was on, so keep him in and let him work on it, but when we need to move the ball and he isn't producing, we may see the most popular guy on campus.

Back
Top Bottom