| NEWS Johnny Manziel released, barred from other CFL teams

Max

MONTREAL (AP) — Johnny Manziel’s time in the Canadian Football League is over.

The CFL terminated the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner’s contract with the Montreal Alouettes on Wednesday. The league also informed the eight other teams that it wouldn’t register a contract for Manziel if any tried to sign him.

“We advised Montreal that Johnny had violated one of the conditions we had set for him to be in our league. And Montreal announced his release today,” CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in Vancouver. “We didn’t release the terms of those conditions then and we’re not going to do that now.

I hate it when any athlete messes up but this guy has been give so many chances and he still screws up! Dude, until you are your own worst enemy, there is no hope for you. When will he hit bottom? Apparently, he hasnt reached it yet,.

AAF or XFL might take a chance. Especially the XFL. Name recognition players will help them get more eyes, even if it is just folks watching to see if the dude really is a train wreck.

Doesn't he have a DUI or something else on his record? XFL claimed they wouldnt sign anyone with ANY arrest records (I know, hilarious for Vince McMahon but he said it).

The AAF has said they want to know what clause in his contract he violated before they will think about it. Its really bizarre that the CFL isn't saying. I'm wondering if he maybe he talked with someone about moving on to another league and that violated the contract but they dont want to say it? Also should point out that Montreal's GM flat out said they would have not released him had the league not forced them to.

That may have been one of the stips in his contract with the CFL—restricted access to talks with other leagues and he's done so.

I would think talking to another league would get a fine and not a league-wide ban. My bet is it involves personal conduct (which could include drinking and/or drug use).

He was talking to other leagues which pissed off the CFL, so they said “GTFO you’re done here, we’re banning you”. Heard his Dad today on a Sirius show

Which makes all of this so weird. I mean he was under contract, he couldnt sign anywhere unless he was released, like just happened. So, they "punished" him by doing what he pretty much wanted. I literally just interviewed a guy who re-signed with a team in the CFL. He was interested in the AAF (and really being able to come home and play for a team in Alabama where his entire family lives) but his contract in the CFL didn't end until the middle of Feb. when the season is already underway. He said he couldn't talk to any other leagues until that contract was up (rather than try to sign somewhere in the middle of the season, he ended up signing an extension, though). Weird that they wouldnt simply fine Manziel rather than cut him and then let it linger out there that maybe he was doing drugs or drinking again, which IMO is pretty foul and bitter to do.

Manziel was likely given the shortest leash possible in the attempt to keep him in line and self policed. Instead, he had just enough to hang himself.

You all know who we are talking about here? I mean he has been this way since Texas A&M! He tries it in the NFL and fail, he tries in in the CFL and fail, so should he be given another chance in the AFF. So the NFL and the CFL couldn't so these people think the AFF could? I don't think so! Crap Texas A&M couldn't either! All this and he still a Heisman winner!

You all know who we are talking about here? I mean he has been this way since Texas A&M! He tries it in the NFL and fail, he tries in in the CFL and fail, so should he be given another chance in the AFF. So the NFL and the CFL couldn't so these people think the AFF could? I don't think so! Crap Texas A&M couldn't either! All this and he still a Heisman winner!

You dont think you're overreacting here? He didnt get arrested. He didnt go on a binge or get high or skip a practice. He wanted to come home, so he talked to another league. Yeah, I would say he deserves "another chance" if a team wants to sign him. I dont personally like him but hes clearly talented and San Antonio would probably do very well signing him. Even if he doesnt play, hes going to be a big draw for them (they have the biggest crowd sizes already, too). Plus, they've had QB issues, too.

You dont think you're overreacting here? He didnt get arrested. He didnt go on a binge or get high or skip a practice. He wanted to come home, so he talked to another league. Yeah, I would say he deserves "another chance" if a team wants to sign him. I dont personally like him but hes clearly talented and San Antonio would probably do very well signing him. Even if he doesnt play, hes going to be a big draw for them (they have the biggest crowd sizes already, too). Plus, they've had QB issues, too.

Yep. Birmingham's fan base is pretty excited because it can root for Trent Richardson again. The same would go for San Antonio's fan base.

Back
Top Bottom