| FTBL It wasn't that bad.

joeman546

Verified Member
Well, it wasn't like we played poorly today. I thought we played well, the large mistakkes are what hurt us. JPW looked good, despite the INT which wasn't totally his fault. His accuracy this year is excellent.

The only thing that made this game close were untimely miscues. Like the blown run D that led to the first fieldgoal, the INT was in the redzone, and probably negated atleast a FG, That stop afterward that got negated by a silly roughing the passer (that drive led to a TD I think) and Coffee fumbling again are the only things that made this game close.

I was impressed with JPW like I said, and I was impressed with the D. Even after Cody went down, we sdtill looked good, and this secondary is great in my mind. None of its perfect, but its solid.

I am happy we won anyway though, I hate it for Coffee, looks like he'll be carrying around that football all week.

All the miscues are managable, nd the fundamentals are solid. We still have alot of work to do, but we knew that with our young team this year. Guys, we are still back, just gotta work out the kinks.

(Right when the game ended, i thought "Heart Attack Football at its best".

crimsontradition14 said:
Not trying to be mean or bash him at all, but how was the interception not JPW's fault. Was it a mistake by the reciever and who exactly was the ball intended for.

Yes. It was at least partially the receivers fault. He got bumped and he broke off his route. JPW SHOULD have noticed and adjusted the throw, but it was a timing pattern that the receiver broke off.

Bama Bo said:
crimsontradition14 said:
Not trying to be mean or bash him at all, but how was the interception not JPW's fault. Was it a mistake by the reciever and who exactly was the ball intended for.

Yes. It was at least partially the receivers fault. He got bumped and he broke off his route. JPW SHOULD have noticed and adjusted the throw, but it was a timing pattern that the receiver broke off.

I have a question about the play in question. I thought that you only had five yards to make contact with the receiver. The receiver was hit about ten yards down field on that play. I won't get into the other blown calls (block in the back on Cody, face mask on Coffee...) but I was really wondering where the flag was on this one. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is hard at the stadium to see all the replays and stuff you get to see on tv.....but on a critical 3rd down play. Ole Miss converted and Eryk Anders was being held big time.....it was a sho nuff blown call that sucked.

rammerjammer said:
It is hard at the stadium to see all the replays and stuff you get to see on tv.....but on a critical 3rd down play. Ole Miss converted and Eryk Anders was being held big time.....it was a sho nuff blown call that sucked.

Well I could reel off several but that would be bitching, accurate, but still bitching. I was mostly wondering about the contact rule on the JPW Int.

I have been very impressed with Ole Miss. They play tough football and every game has been close. Coach O was a decent recruiter but horrible coach and Houston Nutt has already made an impact on that football team.
They will give LSU a run for their money when we play them in November.

Congrats on the Win

milliondollarfan19 said:
I dont think we did that bad considering it was a SEC game and that Ole Miss isn't the pushover they used to be... i see this being a very good SEC team in the next few years with Nutt at the helm...

I agree, they are a touchdown or less in 4 different games from being 7-0 instead of 3-4.

They are definitely a lot better than their record.

cj6891 said:
Bama Bo said:
crimsontradition14 said:

I have a question about the play in question. I thought that you only had five yards to make contact with the receiver. The receiver was hit about ten yards down field on that play. I won't get into the other blown calls (block in the back on Cody, face mask on Coffee...) but I was really wondering where the flag was on this one. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I think that the 5 yards only applies in pro ball. If the ball isn't in the air, all contact is okay.

bamaupsman said:
cj6891 said:
Bama Bo said:
crimsontradition14 said:

I think that the 5 yards only applies in pro ball. If the ball isn't in the air, all contact is okay.

5 yards applies to both.

All contact is okay" should be said "incidental contact" is ok. Impeding the ability to catch the ball, which that could have applied in this case, is a penalty.

Don't forget that Ole Miss had some very "Nuttish" luck in their favor yesterday. Look at the pass late in the 4th quarter that their QB catches and gains 6 yards on :shock: ....The fake FG (our D had a look on their faces like "WTF, he is supposed to kick the ball!). Thank goodness for Kareem running down the 62 yard run play they had or we could have seen some OT yesterday. Ole Miss is not all that bad, the way we played "o" in the 2nd half we should be thrilled to come away with a victory. Did anyone see the interview with Wolfsen, Saban and JPW after the game? JPW kept glancing at Saban with a look like "O crap, we are really gonna get blasted in about 10 minutes). :lol:

I just finished watching the replay, and it looked like Ole Miss made good adjustment, and we didn't. I was surprised at the vanilla playcalling in the 2nd half. I know there was some uninspired playing, and we want to continue to run the clock. However, when they continue to stack the box, and we only try to keep running the ball????? I think some of that, not all, goes on the playcalling. Just my observations. It's tough when the offense make just 2-3 first downs in the entire half, and the defense is constantly on the field.

eshad said:
I just finished watching the replay, and it looked like Ole Miss made good adjustment, and we didn't. I was surprised at the vanilla playcalling in the 2nd half. I know there was some uninspired playing, and we want to continue to run the clock. However, when they continue to stack the box, and we only try to keep running the ball????? I think some of that, not all, goes on the playcalling. Just my observations. It's tough when the offense make just 2-3 first downs in the entire half, and the defense is constantly on the field.

I just finished watching the post game w/CNS also, and at about the 16 minute mark, sounds like he feels a little like I do in the above comment.

Back
Top Bottom