| FTBL Iron Bowl Preview by a barn fan

Someone should tell the barner that crack kills. His prediction of a 24 point margin of victory would be the largest since the Whitworth era.

Amazing stat of the day: Even though Bama and Auburn play every season and are about .500 during the period, Auburn has not beaten Alabama by more than 10 points since 1969...Alabama on the other hand...If there is to be a 24 point margin of victory, it is most likely not going to go their way.

Interesting quote,

''Auburn secondary receivers and quarterback vs. Alabama safeties: Auburn will start a pair of new quarterbacks, this season, in Kodi Burns and Chris Todd. By game 12, they should be fairly seasoned.''

''Bama returns senior strong safety Rashad Johnson, who was All-SEC a year ago, and had 6 interceptions. Freshman Mark Barron is the likely starter at free safety. While Alabama has a quality cover corner and a good safety, there will be a lot of inexperience spread across the field trying to defend Auburn's relentless attack. Advantage: Auburn.''

and is it possible by game 12, we may have a few ''seasoned'' players?

kudzu said:
Interesting quote,

''Auburn secondary receivers and quarterback vs. Alabama safeties: Auburn will start a pair of new quarterbacks, this season, in Kodi Burns and Chris Todd. By game 12, they should be fairly seasoned.''

''Bama returns senior strong safety Rashad Johnson, who was All-SEC a year ago, and had 6 interceptions. Freshman Mark Barron is the likely starter at free safety. While Alabama has a quality cover corner and a good safety, there will be a lot of inexperience spread across the field trying to defend Auburn's relentless attack. Advantage: Auburn.''

What kind of sense does that make? :roll:

FYI, I quit reading with this....."On defense, coach Nick Saban and defensive coordinators Kirby Smart and Kevin Steele are still struggling to put together a starting line up. Despite questionable talent last season, this crew put up respectable numbers, finishing sixth in the SEC in total defense, and fourth in scoring defense. The 2008 edition of the Crimson Tide defense will be minus a number of stars from a year ago, including monster end Wallace Gilberry, shut-down corner Simeon Castille, safety Marcus Carter, and three starting linebackers."

That was enough for me.

:lol:
Not much sense Argo :lol:

There are quite a few barner type quotes to pick apart in that ''article'' :roll:

kudzu said:
:lol:
Not much sense Argo :lol:

There are quite a few barner type quotes to pick apart in that ''article'' :roll:

You are right. I thought about giving it a second chance and trying to read it again. I didn't get a friggin paragraph further than I did the first time and ran across this jewel: "Alabama's special teams are headlined by the explosive, dangerous return man, senior Javier Arenas."

Jay Coulter was right. This IS the most thorough preview I've ever seen. :lol:

Also, is that a Bengal Tiger at the top of the page?

Argo said:
kudzu said:
Interesting quote,

FYI, I quit reading with this....."On defense, coach Nick Saban and defensive coordinators Kirby Smart and Kevin Steele are still struggling to put together a starting line up. Despite questionable talent last season, this crew put up respectable numbers, finishing sixth in the SEC in total defense, and fourth in scoring defense. The 2008 edition of the Crimson Tide defense will be minus a number of stars from a year ago, including monster end Wallace Gilberry, shut-down corner Simeon Castille, safety Marcus Carter, and three starting linebackers."

That was enough for me.
I did as well...started off like it might be a decent preview...until.

Makes as much sense as an Arkansas fan I saw predict MSU to win their first game by 35+.

Auburn offensive line vs. Alabama defensive line: The bulk of Auburn's line returns, with depth, talent, and experience behind the starters. Alabama returns two starters, juniors Brandon Deaderick and Lorenzo Washington. Those two starters from last season combined for a grand total of 5 sacks, and only 7.5 tackles for a loss. Veteran senior Bobby Greenwood will take the place of the departed Wallace Gilberry, having played in 38 games with 8 career starts. There is little depth behind these three. All three starting linemen are in the 270-290 pound range, and not terribly quick. They will have great difficulty holding the line against Auburn. Big Advantage: Auburn.

Hmm. I guess we will see what happens when Mt. Cody squashes the O-Line.

bama4life said:
Auburn offensive line vs. Alabama defensive line: The bulk of Auburn's line returns, with depth, talent, and experience behind the starters. Alabama returns two starters, juniors Brandon Deaderick and Lorenzo Washington. Those two starters from last season combined for a grand total of 5 sacks, and only 7.5 tackles for a loss. Veteran senior Bobby Greenwood will take the place of the departed Wallace Gilberry, having played in 38 games with 8 career starts. There is little depth behind these three. All three starting linemen are in the 270-290 pound range, and not terribly quick. They will have great difficulty holding the line against Auburn. Big Advantage: Auburn.

Hmm. I guess we will see what happens when Mt. Cody squashes the O-Line.

We don't have a depth chart. A'ight? We don't have starters. A'ight?

TerryP said:
Argo said:
kudzu said:
Interesting quote,

That was enough for me.
I did as well...started off like it might be a decent preview...until.

Makes as much sense as an Arkansas fan I saw predict MSU to win their first game by 35+.

LOL, I quit reading at the exact same spot. Not real sure why I bothered starting in the first place, but the Olympics were in a commercial break.

Any articles in August that predict how the last game of the season is going to go are kind of crazy IMHO.

I can see a Bama vs. Clemson article like this, but come on.

I AM JUST READY FOR THE SEASON TO GET HERE!!!

Not a prediction, but . . .

This is quite interesting!!! TIFWIW!

Keep in mind this was posted by an Auburn player on one of their main sports forums, AuburnSports.com or something like that.

They're fighting because they've lost all sense of team unity. They've allowed a single fight from the spring to get the best of them. Coleman hates Ziemba and vice versa. Every chance they get, they try to injure each other. They do this because once the other one is injured, they won't have to deal with them anymore. It's also turned into a black/white thing. Ever since Chris Todd was signed on, the black guys on our team have turned on the whites. They claim that it's injustice to Kodi Burns. Tuberville is okay with all of this. He thinks that the more aggressive and foul we are, the more likely we are to get inside the opponent's head. He hopes that it might even lead to some injuries on our opponent's players. However, it's backfiring on him. Our players are losing trust in each other. Team chemistry is not being built. Recruiting in headed South. No one will want to play at Auburn because they'll be afraid of being ganged up by veteran players. DeRon Furr will shed light on the truth soon. Auburn is full of thugs who lack character. It was only a matter of time that these guys would show their true form. And don't you ever forget, the team is a reflection of its head coach.

Your thoughts?

Re: Not a prediction, but . . .

aMAZEnFan said:
This is quite interesting!!! TIFWIW!

Keep in mind this was posted by an Auburn player on one of their main sports forums, AuburnSports.com or something like that.

They're fighting because they've lost all sense of team unity. They've allowed a single fight from the spring to get the best of them. Coleman hates Ziemba and vice versa. Every chance they get, they try to injure each other. They do this because once the other one is injured, they won't have to deal with them anymore. It's also turned into a black/white thing. Ever since Chris Todd was signed on, the black guys on our team have turned on the whites. They claim that it's injustice to Kodi Burns. Tuberville is okay with all of this. He thinks that the more aggressive and foul we are, the more likely we are to get inside the opponent's head. He hopes that it might even lead to some injuries on our opponent's players. However, it's backfiring on him. Our players are losing trust in each other. Team chemistry is not being built. Recruiting in headed South. No one will want to play at Auburn because they'll be afraid of being ganged up by veteran players. DeRon Furr will shed light on the truth soon. Auburn is full of thugs who lack character. It was only a matter of time that these guys would show their true form. And don't you ever forget, the team is a reflection of its head coach.

Your thoughts?

Thoughts are this one, the “signs” at the end of this year records will reflect on both teams and coaches. The team with the best overall chemistry, character, and class should win the Iron Bowl outright. Anything less is just hype IMO

The thing that got me about this preview was that he assumes that just because they changed to the "spread" a magic wand will be waved somewhere and a group of receivers who were mediocre at best last year will all of a sudden become game breakers. Their freshmen receivers certainly don't appear as world beaters either. Like any new system it will take a while for old players to adjust to it and for the new ones to be in place.

Right now a lot of the Auburn people are embracing the new scheme with open arms, but if it is not an immediate success a lot of the long time fans are going to grumble about abandoning the power running game.

psychojoe said:
The thing that got me about this preview was that he assumes that just because they changed to the "spread" a magic wand will be waved somewhere and a group of receivers who were mediocre at best last year will all of a sudden become game breakers. Their freshmen receivers certainly don't appear as world beaters either. Like any new system it will take a while for old players to adjust to it and for the new ones to be in place.

Right now a lot of the Auburn people are embracing the new scheme with open arms, but if it is not an immediate success a lot of the long time fans are going to grumble about abandoning the power running game.

All the while Franklin is ticking off HS coaches around the state with his attitude...

TerryP said:
psychojoe said:

All the while Franklin is ticking off HS coaches around the state with his attitude...

Is he? Do tell. :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom