| FTBL I still haven't watched the game...

planomateo

Wanted to share something with all of you. Normally I'm the guy that keeps his personal life private, but for some strange reason I have this feeling that I need to share this with you guys. I've been trying to post this the last few days but hadn't completed it until now (love the draft feature with this site so I can work on it as the days have passed by).

Over the last few years, the relationship with my father has been rocky. He was my dude, the guy I looked up to for everything, my best friend, the guy I called for advice regularly. We went from talking on the phone 3-4 times a week to 1-2 times in the last few years. We're both fairly stubborn and had our own thoughts about what triggered our broken relationship. Neither attempting to resolve our differences.

As I mentioned in the game thread Monday, I flew out to San Diego that morning for work and planned on watching the game in my hotel room Monday night. In San Diego during lunch I got a phone call from my sister that something was wrong with dad (he's almost 69 years old). She told me he had a large clot (the size of a small tangerine) in his brain (right frontal lobe area) and his chances were 50/50. It was serious enough that they choose to do surgery immediately. The surgeon said they were concerned that if the blood clot pushed on the central part of the brain that connected to the vertebra it would cause serious issues that would impact his recovery. Being that he was in the VA hospital I was concerned a little bit more as I wasn't sure if he'd get the care he needed. I later found out that the UAB surgeons help out at the VA Hospital which is a huge benefit of the VA hospital being so close to UAB in Birmingham.

I immediately had the selfish feelings of guilt for not repairing the relationship with my father and worrying that I'd never have the chance to mend the fences with my dad. I really didn't want to have to carry this burden for the rest of my life. I went into this thinking the worst and hoping for the best.

I told my boss and my team that'd I'd be leaving for Birmingham immediately and as I headed to the airport I was able to get a flight out to Birmingham at 2:30p PST, which put me into Dallas around 7:30p, then I got to Birmingham at 10:30p.

I was able to watch about 15 mins of the game at the gate in Dallas, there were probably 10 of us Alabama fans in some type of Alabama shirt or hat, we were yelling when Derrick Henry drew first blood. I want to say the game was tied up when we boarded the plane for Birmingham, I turned on Tune In Radio on my phone and listened to it on the plane up to about 2k-5k feet in the air. For the next few hours I was wondering about my father and what the status of the game was.

Once we got above Birmingham, I was able to listen to a bit more of the game about 5,000 feet above the ground to the landing. I got a cab to and headed to the VA hospital. I was dropped off at the Emergency entrance and walked up the same time my uncle (dad's brother) did and we hugged and walked in and went up to the SICU to see him. After we saw him we went up to the waiting room and the game was on and we were able to watch the last 2-3 mins of the game. I slept in the waiting room and watched the highlights and all the post game talk as it gave me something different for me to focus on while I was worried about my dad.

After a few hours of sleep I headed downstairs to see my dad the next morning around 5a. Dad apparently either pulled the endotracheal tube out or tried too, then had to restrain him which he didn't care for. A few hours later the surgeon came in and asked my father if he could hear him to hold up two fingers which he held up both of his middle fingers. This was a huge relief for me, I knew my dad was fighting and was going to recover...I just wasn't sure in what state at the point.

Tuesday afternoon he was awake and they removed the endotracheal tube, he was still loopy due to the drugs he was on, but he could recognize me and all our family members and friends from church that showed up to support him. He had alot of people praying for his well being. Wednesday he was able to hold much better conversations and took his first walk via the help of a walker and I was blown away that this guy underwent brain surgery around 2p Monday was able to walk 48 hours later. My dad has always been the toughest guy I know, he's always had an extremely high pain tolerance, he's been a fighter all his life (literally, the stories I could tell about him would make you laugh).

He progressed more on Thursday and Friday morning that they released him yesterday and allowed him to go home. The VA hospital in Birmingham had some amazing nurses and doctors, they really impressed me with the level of care he was provided and you could tell almost all the nurses really loved their job. They were great and being a Veteran and hearing all the stories about VA care I was really worried initially.

I dropped dad off to his house around 4:30p (in Odenville) and I was able to get on the 7p flight to Dallas last night.

I'm not a religious person, I do believe that there is a higher power in the universe. I will tell you that this experience has me questioning my beliefs more than ever. I know some of this was attributed to my dad, the surgeons and nurses, and the love that he had from others to help him recover. The biggest reason I wanted to share this was so that if any of you are having an issue with someone that you love that's prevented you from resolving your differences, resolve them before you don't have the chance. I'll forever be grateful that I was able to resolve the differences with my dad and I don't have to carry this burden the rest of my life. I really was worried I wasn't going to have this opportunity on Monday after hearing the news.

I'm looking forward to watching the game today :) Sorry for rambling...

@planomateo, glad you mended those fences! I don't know what I would do without my Dad. He is my rock, my role model, hunting and fishing partner, my best friend, etc. My Dad never truly had a relationship with his father. He left my grandmother when dad was 3. She raised 6 boys by herself and dad was the baby. The oldest gave up a basketball scholly to BAMA so he could help and be the father figure for the younger ones. Long story short, my dad was approached by his church to become a deacon. Before he accepted, he reached out to his dad. He told him that he forgave him for all the years he wasn't around and that he loved him. His dad, my grandfather, never batted an eye. My grandfather passed away a year later.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and my prayers for a speedy recovery for your dad go up for him.

Glad everything is working out and that you're being given the opportunity to work on your relationship with your dad and that the man above has given you the kind of notion that he is there. Pray hard and he will be there and listen. My wife has to remind me a lot that all you have to do is speak to him and he shows he listens. My dad and I have had a rocky ten years these past ten. He's a very selfish guy and does what he wants over anything child related. Never came to my senior nights in football and baseball cause he went to play golf with his buddies in Florida, never invites us to go on vacation with his new family, wouldn't add my sister to his insurance because it would cost him an extra $12 a month (he makes six figures), things of that nature on regular basis. So I'may working to be the best I can for my three. Sometimes I get lazy and have to catch myself, but I realize how great having a caring father can be as its something my sister and I wanted for years after seeing our friends and their dads. All that aside, glad you have the opportunity to work on things and hope they get to a better point. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as y'all recover. Now y'all have a Championship to discuss and be proud of as well as his recovery, :).

Last edited:
Wow. I laughed and cried while reading that (laughed at the part with the middle fingers).

I'm definitely not religious or spiritual. But I believe there's a reason for everything, that things happened how they're supposed to .. Life gave you and your father an opportunity.

I am so happy he's recovering and I wish him the best. I also wish you the best, and appreciate your sharing with us.

Over the holidays, my grandmother had a stroke. She's had Alzheimer's for some time so it's been tough. My uncle also had to go to the hospital for several blockages in his heart, during the same 24 hour period she was admitted. It's been tough, but I'm not home often (limited vacation time, distance, etc.) and I feel that those crappy things happened while I was home so I could not only be there to see my grandmother and uncle (and say goodbye if necessary), but to support my family. Life is funny that way. But also beautiful.

Anyway .. Sending my love and good thoughts your family's way. Maybe you and dad could watch the game together sometime. RTR

@planomateo my father passed away a while ago. So keep this with your father thing going to call him. You have something my grandkids will never will have. A relationship with your father. One thing about the V.A. in B'ham is one of the best place to go if your vet. I also have to laugh with your dad, two finger salute. this means he a fighter. I will pray for you and your father,and yes, I read what you wrote. Now I am going to be my grandson? He told his cousin she a big fan of Star War. What happen in it. Boy she was mad!! He 15 she 31 so she will get over it. HEY!! planomateo BAMA WON!!!! ;)
keep the relationship going!

Enjoyed your story, especially the two finger part.

About 8 years ago now, my mom would call me pretty often, usually with some computer problem, I am the resident computer nerd of the family. It got to where I almost dreaded it but always took her call and patiently answered her questions. Then the day came where that call was one I really hated, it was my father, telling me my mother was having trouble breathing. They lived only 1/2 mile away, I rushed up and pulled in right before the ambulance. I followed them to the local hospital and then made the drive to the hospital they air lifted her to. She had never had any heart issues but had so many arthritic issues and had so many treatments, including infusion treatments, very similar to cancer treatments. She had a massive coronary and passed the next morning. She could not say anything to us that night but just looked us each in the eye and squeezed our hands respectively, she knew what we only hoped was not the case. Every day, I wish she would call me with some question about how to do something on her computer. As Coach Bryant said, call your mother/father, I sure wish I could call mine.

My father is still with me and every time I get around him, he tells me the same old stories, they used to bore me until I lost my mother, now I cherish those same old stories.

Hey I lost my dad two years ago and still miss him chewing me out about something every time I would call him. We always had that kind of relationship. I know that he was trying in his way to keep me from making mistakes. He was a character in our family. Told every woman in the family at one time or another. "your fat"

Glad you had the second chance. I can't help you to find God, but he wants you to find him. He wants to have a personal relationship with all of us. and that's about it. We are all too smart to just believe without proof. At some point in your life you will reach the end of having a human peer above you, and once you start asking why is there a God you will realize there is only a God if you believe there is a God. The thought of the alternative sucks big time. Keep talking to your dad and keep loving. Love is feeling just like the belief in God. You can't see it but you can feel it.

@planomateo ,
Matt, I totally understand what you're saying about the religion thing. My daddy, I'm 52 and will always call him that, is a Babtist minister and is always preaching at me. I believe in a higher power, but other that that, I just don't know. Like I said, I'm 52 and he is 72 and I don't, can't fathom him leaving, EVER. We have had our issues and it was Alabama football that brought us back together. I love that we can talk to each other about everything. God bless all of you and I'll be praying for all of us.

I lost my father last month, just before Christmas, and my entire family is still reeling. Treasure every moment my friends...
I'm so sorry for your loss. Time will heal some of the pain but not all of it. Treasure all moments you get that have to do with love with your family, and find things to laugh about your dad. It helps

Back
Top Bottom