| FTBL I really dont know what to think about our Offense!

BigAl

Verified Member
Seems like the O-Line did good but we struggled all day long. Grant was the shining star as we all expected. The defense did a good job. Any comments?

Yeah, Major Applewhite needs to take a sleeping bag and pillow over to John Parker Wilson's. He needs to stay a while. :?

Our red zone was a a lackluster performance to say the least. Vandy helped beat themselves for the most part with hair brained penalties. JPW will need to step into his throws to beat ARK he was off to say the least..

Our run game looked outstanding, our receiver's missed some catchable balls others were just over thrown by the QB. Our offense line did an outstanding job today!

Rolling Tide said:
RollTideRandy said:
Like I said in the chat, every year, the most popular person in Tuscaloosa, is Alabama's back-up quarterback. :lol:

I am just saying JPW needs to put something behind his passes instead of just lofting it up for someone to catch.

Yep, he'll get burned bad on those when we get to Arkansas, UGA, etc...

saying our offense looked bad is pretty retarded to be quite honest. Terry Grant and all the backs looked great the O-Line pushed Vandy's D-Line around. DJ Hall was beating whoever covered him pretty much every play, the only problem was JP. he just looked awful today for the most part. his best passes were those underneath passes and he still threw 2 pretty bad short passes (one picked off screen pass and another one he threw behind DJ on 3rd down). he overthrew DJ once deep, then underthrew him another time deep, and then completely missed him in the endzone when he was ALL ALONE. he has got to play better next week to beat Arkansas. that being said i think this game tells alot about our team compared to last year. could imagine how what the end result would've been last year if JPW played this bad in a game? it wouldn't have been pretty yet the ground game carried and the defense played MUCH BETTER than anyone expected.

Yeah, JPW did look bad today but considering he looked good last year, A-Day, Fall Camp, etc...I think I am willing to give the kid a pass for one bad game.

C'mon guys. That's what you want out of your team. If someone is having an off day, the other players step it up. That's exactly what happened today.

I'll take a 24-10 win over a verg good (excellent Vandy team by Vandy standards) any day of the year!!

RTR!!! a$#

bamafan4ever said:
Yeah, JPW did look bad today but considering he looked good last year, A-Day, Fall Camp, etc...I think I am willing to give the kid a pass for one bad game.

C'mon guys. That's what you want out of your team. If someone is having an off day, the other players step it up. That's exactly what happened today.

I'll take a 24-10 win over a verg good (excellent Vandy team by Vandy standards) any day of the year!!

RTR!!! a$#

Exactly. ;tr

bamafan4ever said:

RTR!!! a$#

I think you hit the nail on the head

bamafan4ever said:

RTR!!! a$#

OH I am not complaining, this game is very pleasing but it is "mind-bottling" how dramatically improved the run game has improved.

I agree and no one said we are a NC team anyway, we are in a rebuilding time and a RETEACHING time (or teaching for the first time since we had Shula). The rest of the team stepped up while JP was down. Lets be proud we have our calibur coach and we win games against Vandy by 14 and and Western Carolina by large margins now instead of biting our nails like last year against Duke. Its not always going to click but now I don't go into a I-AA game with an upset stomach like I did the last few years. No matter who has a rough game, its time to be proud, rebuild and get ready for Sabans recruits and what he can do on his time.

The only thing I noticed was that the offensive line looked pretty gassed in the third quarter. The weather was pretty humid and the Vandy defense was working them pretty hard.

I personally feel like we're going to be fine offensively. We have an improving OLine and some solid backs in Grant and Coffee. JPW does look a bit off but I wonder how much of that is learning a new system?

Also, you have to remember that the OLine put JPW in a bad spot a number of times when Vandy brought pressure. Recievers also dropped a number of catchable balls.

All in all, we played an SEC team today. Not Western Carolina. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will the offense be.

The defense will continue to improve but I do feel like there is a ceiling here (if nothing else, given the talent level). We should be serviceable, but I doubt we'll be great this year.

JMHO.

I think everyone here has hit on several of the issues from today. Some busts by the O-line, but overall much improved. I also think Major Applewhite will learn from this game as well. Facing a SEC, allbeit Vandy, defense might be a little different than at Rice. Overall, a great win, and more learning taking place for everyone, including the fans. I think we will be ready for Arkansas. :D

Could it be that we were still not showing very much of the playbook today? There were a few very nice wrinkles I saw today, but Chopper's right, we were very vanilla for the most part today. (Of course, with Grant, vanilla can be VERY delicious!)

I just don't think Saban is the type of coach that shows more than he needs to in order to get the win.

Back
Top Bottom