| FTBL I got a harder poll for you guys!

Who was BAMA's greatest pass catcher?

• Freddie Milons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Curtis Brown

• Keith Brown

• David Palmer

• Kevin Lee

• Joey Jones

• Al Bell

• D.J. Hall

• Dennis Homan

• David Bailey

• Ozzy Newsome

• Don Hutson

• Other

• Total voters
My one vote's for Ozzie, the only one to lead the Tide in receiving for four years. The incredible thing is what a high percentage his receptions were of total passing yards. Rutledge threw for 1200 yard in '77 and Ozzie had 800 in receiving (there may have been other QBs who threw, but it's still a high percentage). Palmer was also a workhorse in '93. Hutson was certainly a trailblazer, but for his lengthy and total contribution, Ozzie's my pick.

Jesse Bendross, who was at Bama the same time and has almost identical stats as Joey Jones, is worthy of mention as part of one of the best receiving duos ever at Bama. Antonio Carter would probably have broken Ozzie's record had he not gotten injured. Milons and A.C. make up one of the top duos in my book, despite his injury. Homan and Perkins were incredible for their one year together in '66.

David Bailey was a great one. I don't know anything about this guy, but Al Lary was a standout in his era. He led Bama in receiving in '49 and '50 with 315 and 756 yards on 17 and 35 receptions, respectively. Of his 35 receptions in '50, 10 went for touchdowns. From 1940 until 1965, no other player had over 400 yards, or more than 4 TDs, in a season.

RTR,

Tim

There were just too many good receivers to choose from and I couldn't get them all in the poll.

Obviously Pro would have been a good pick, but we didn't have room. Bendross is another guy that came to mind. Greg Richardson, Howard Cross, Prince, and others could have been included if we had enough space.

For me, there are only two real choices, Newson because he is the only NFL hall of famer on the list (I believe) and David Palmer who was the only real target Barker had to throw to when we won our last NC.

RollTideRandy said:
For me, there are only two real choices, Newson because he is the only NFL hall of famer on the list (I believe) and David Palmer who was the only real target Barker had to throw to when we won our last NC.

Hutson's in the HOF. No argument that Palmer's an all-time great receiver. He had a then-record receiving year with 1,000 yards, but that was in '93. He only had 297 yards receiving (out of over 1,600 passing yards) in '92.

RTR,

Tim

Ozzie and Hutson were the slam dunks, but I voted for Joey Jones based on games that I actually witnessed in the stands. Joey was "Mr. Clutch" in many games in the 80's. Always seemed to come up with a key reception. He was a little fella too, but played like he was 6'6".

Why was Tyrone Protho not on this list. He was without a doubt the most valuable player Bama has had in a very long time. Just remember how the offense dropped off after his injury.

Back
Top Bottom