| BSB/SB I found this 2021 baseball preview surfing around last night.

18Champs

Pitching Staff

You win or lose with pitching in the SEC, simple as that. We have some elite depth, good depth and options. The problem? A) So does everyone else in the conference B) we’re somehow still very young/inexperienced.

Collectively, in SEC play, our pitchers have only thrown 93 innings, only 6 starts, 1-7 record with a 7.43 ERA. 12.8 H/9. Only 5.9 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9. The lone SEC win came from Hunter Ruth, when he was pitching for Florida and it came against in Alabama in 2019. However, the bulk of that came when most of those arms were freshmen, and now they’re juniors and the careers for a few of them are going to be over seemingly as soon as they begun. Thanks China!

Starting Rotation

The weekend 3-man rotation will almost assuredly come from the following 4 pitchers:

LHP – Connor Prielipp
RHP – Tyler Ras
RHP – Connor Shamblin
LHP – Antoine Jean

Prielipp, if you somehow don’t know, might be 1-1 pick in the June 2022 draft and he’s every bit capable of matching up with Rocker, Hill, Leiter, Mace, Fitts and all the other top pitchers in the league on Friday nights. Going into SEC play last year, Ras would have been in the bullpen, but I have a feeling he’s poised for a greater role this year. I would expect the odd man out to take on a high-leverage bullpen role. Which would seem to fit Ras or Shamblin better than the soft-tossing lefty, Jean, plus we already have Guffey serving that role in the ‘pen.

Bullpen

RHP Chase Lee and LHP Brock Guffey will likely serve again as the primary two high-leverage relief pitchers and both have been very effective to dominant over their careers. Lee is devastating against RHH and has improved vs LHH. Guffey doesn’t throw hard, but pounds the zone and is a rare bullpen guy that can mix in 3-4 offerings.

RHP Jacob McNairy will be another high leverage to middle inning guy, Coach Jackson has always been high on him. RHP Dylan Smith has apparently made a big stride and starting to reach his immense potential that almost landed him a member of the SD Padres org out of HS, where he turned down something like $600,000 plus bonus.

RHP Landon Green will be another mainstain, he throws very hard and can be dominant, but in the past his command struggles have kept him from being one of the top 2-3 options.

RHP Wil Freeman has returned for a 5th year. He has performed a variety of roles since also turning down the San Diego Padres and electing to attend UA out of JUCO. My guess is he’ll serve as a long-man for when/if the starter has a bad day, runs up a high pitch count, etc. He could also serve as a reliable starter vs quality midweek opponents.

LHP Grayson Hitt is probably the top pro prospect in the incoming signing class. He has weekend starter potential but I would assume is blocked right now. I’m sure his role will dependent on his ability to command the strike zone and how quickly he develops.

RHP Hunter Ruth is a bounceback from Florida, I don’t think he’s been overly impressive in the fall. He was a Top 50ish ranked prospect in the country coming out of HS, but injuries deterred him from success at Florida, before transferring to JUCO but not pitching last spring. I think we kinda took a flier on him – perhaps he’ll be able to contribute some in middle relief.

The following are all newcomers and all RHP:

-Jake Eddington
-Logan Morris
-Eli Giles
-Brayden Rowe
-Dylan Ray

Ray was heralded out of Bob Jones HS and was likely to have a role in the bullpen but he will miss the season after having Tommy John surgery. I heard nothing from “my sources” in the fall concerning Morris or Giles, good or bad – my assumption is they aren’t in the plans for 2021. Eddington has the most upside from a prospect perspective. Rowe feels the like the guy that could have the biggest impact this season among these names. But as of now, I’ll be surprised if any of them have a significant role in 2021.

Overall

Again, the talent is there. We’ll see how some of these guys (Shamblin, Smith, McNairy, etc) have developed. To address the lack of experience again, here are the following # of innings pitching in SEC play in their career among our staff:

Guffey – 34.1
Lee – 19.1
Ruth – 13.1
Ras – 8.1 (3 starts)
Freeman – 6.1 (3 starts)
Shamblin – 6.1
Smith – 5.2
McNairy – 1.2

Lineup & Defense

Gone from last year are RF Tyler Gentry, 3B/C/CF/2B Brett Auerbach and SS Kolby Robinson – a lot to replace, and I think we’ll have less versality and options than last year. However, we still have plenty of talent and at least 8-10 legit SEC players right now and a couple others with promise/potential.

Catcher

Sam Praytor seems like he’s been here forever but also feels like he just got here. He’s likely the best catcher in the SEC (a couple others that are better pro prospects) but he’s the most polished and he’ll almost assuredly make it to MLB. I expect him to be a 4th or 5th round pick in July. He’ll also hit in the middle of the order.

When he needs a break, expect 5th year senior Johnny Hawk to spell him behind the dish. Hawk missed 2020 due to an injury, and was never known for his bat – but apparently he hit pretty well this fall and emerged as a legitimate backup.

Should a 3rd catcher be needed, it would probably be Peyton Wilson. Grant Knipp, a freshman, is also an option but my educated is guess is he isn’t quite ready yet.

First Base

Drew Williamson returns for the 3rd year in this role. His primary backup (who might get a look vs some LHP) should be Davis Heller. At 6’8” Heller was once a top prospect as two-way player. We kind of took a flier on him late – and we’ll see when/if it pays off. While he can pitch, I believe he focused mainly if not solely on offense this fall.

Second Base

Peyton Wilson, similar to Auerbach – will be the primary 2b…but since he’s capable of playing C, OF, etc – he may get moved around.

Freshman Caden Rose worked also at 2B. He might get a limited opportunity when Wilson is playing elsewhere.

Third Base

Zane Denton, a 2nd year player and switch-hitter, was the surprise of the fall. He pounded the ball and solidified the 3B job.

Shortstop

Jim Jarvis slides over after playing 2B last year. He should be fine. He’s a bat control type, won’t hit for power, but should play strong defense. His primary backup will be freshman Bryce Eblin, who needs some work with the bat but could pose at the SS of the future. He has more upside than Jarvis but isn’t there yet with the stick. I suppose he could also fill in at 2B behind Wilson, too.

Left Field

TJ Reeves expected to be the man there again. He missed the fall to injury, so there is a chance he could slide over to RF. Another option in LF would be juco transfer Will Patota. Patota is a corner guy and could be mentioned as an option at 3B perhaps – should something happen with Denton.

Center Field

Jackson Tate should be in CF most of the time. Peyton Wilson might get some action there at times just to mix things up or should Tate be in a slump. Tate is a great athlete and can go get it – and also has tremendous potential with the bat. He has shown a lack of plate discipline in the past, and likely won’t hit for average, but he has extra base ability and can run into some bombs. He is someone capable of really breaking out.

Right Field

Mentioned Reeves but my guess is William Hamiter will start out in RF. It boils down to Owen Diodati – we’ll have to “hide” him in RF (or LF) when he’s not the DH.

Designated Hitter

This will pretty much always be Owen Diodati I’m guessing – except when Praytor isn’t behind the plate and we’ll put Diodati in RF/LF. Perhaps should Hamiter be awful with the bat, and Patota doesn’t get a look in LF/RF, Davis Heller could be an option at DH with Dio in LF/RF?

Defense

Praytor at C is good to elite and Hawk spelling him is good with the glove
Williamson is truly elite at 1B
Unsure on Wilson at 2B
Denton won’t wow anyone at 3B but should make routine plays
Jarvis will be fine at SS. I don’t think he’ll be as consistent as Kolby Robinson was, but he’ll also have more ability to make “great” plays as he just has more tools
Tate in CF should be above average
Reeves is bad
Diodati is a liability

Lineup Guess

Could reorder basically anyone from 2-7 probably. And likely will depending on who is hot/slumping. And I could argue moving Jarvis up to like 6th and Tate to 8th. It doesn’t really matter though – lineup order doesn’t make a huge difference unless you’re doing it wrong for 50+ games.

1. Peyton Wilson/2B (S/R)
2. Owen Diodati/DH (L/R)
3. TJ Reeves/LF (R/R)
4. Sam Praytor/C (R/R)
5. Zane Denton/3B (S/R)
6. Drew Williamson/1B (L/R)
7. Jackson Tate/CF (R/R)
8. Jim Jarvis/SS (L/R)
9. William Hamiter/RF (L/R)

Next options/platoon candidates:

Will Patota LF/RF/3B/1B (L/R)
Johnny Hawk C (R/R)
Davis Heller 1B/DH (R/R)

Reserves:

Caden Rose 2B (R/R)
Bryce Eblin SS/2B (L/R)

I like the lineup versatility. It would be nice to have 1-2 other options at a few spots.

You have power (Diodati, Reeves, Praytor)
Good discipline (Williamson, Diodati, Praytor, Jarvis)
Good speed (Wilson, Tate, Jarvis)
Good bat control (Jarvis)

Honestly, Peyton Wilson is the x-factor. If he can be a table setter, mash doubles, get on base, utilize his (great) speed, he has dynamic potential. He has pop despite is smallish frame, too. It will be interesting to really see how much plate discipline he has though. Hopefully not so great he goes pro so soon though!

Oh and if Williamson finally shows some power you’d think he’d have from his 6’5” 220 something frame – well you’re really talking about a dynamic offense.

Praytor is the best catcher to come from Shelby County (Helena High School) since I've been living here (24 years). He was drafted out of high school, but not high enough to forgo college.

Back
Top Bottom