| FTBL I don't put a lot of trust in PFF stats. That said, here's their rankings for top offensive lines in CFB this season.

Returning every OL except the C is like returning everyone on offense except the QB. Not feeling like we have the #1 OL since our likely starter missed so much of the Spring.
Counter point / counter thought.

If you had a center who skipped spring, but also had a year or so experience starting, would you think the same? I get what you are thinking. I don't get what you are dismissing. The back ups needed spring ball more than he did. He knows the system, knows the calls...

If you had a center who skipped spring, but also had a year or so experience starting, would you think the same?
Only a year, right? And in the PAC. Not facing the DLs you face every week in the Southeast. Now if you or anyone else has any info on how he rated against Texas and Michigan, I'd be curious. I don't have any idea. My only recollection is that Washington's offense relied heavily on Penix's arm in those last two games. But I can't say for sure.

Only a year, right? And in the PAC. Not facing the DLs you face every week in the Southeast. Now if you or anyone else has any info on how he rated against Texas and Michigan, I'd be curious. I don't have any idea. My only recollection is that Washington's offense relied heavily on Penix's arm in those last two games. But I can't say for sure.
I get what you are thinking. I don't believe you are putting all of this in context. This isn't a case where we are comparing the 2012 offensive line. It's a different era in offense. The spacing and splits are completely different.

Here's where I find a common misconception. "He's not in the southeast." He didn't have the talent he had in the northwest, but won there. Assuming it won't translate?

I don't trust their stuff because I don't believe they have the staff 'numbers' to be able to watch as many games and grade so many players each week. It's just not possible.

That said...seems they have a high opinion on Bama.

I actually am friends with a guy that works for the NFL side of PFF and he came out and said their College division is not big enough to cover everything. They stick to most of the FBS schools and they don't get into fine detail watching every play like they do with the NFL. They cover power 5 and then try to do some generic watches of people from the other FBS schools but yea, it would require a larger division than they can put out there to essentially game tape every team in the FBS and every player.

Just a FWIW note... I've heard really positive things about Wilkin Formby in the past month or so from 2 different people. The new OL coach loves the kid and he's been working his ass off. Sounds like he may end up claiming that right tackle spot based on his ability and intangibles. 'He's a guy that can be counted on', one person said.

I actually am friends with a guy that works for the NFL side of PFF and he came out and said their College division is not big enough to cover everything. They stick to most of the FBS schools and they don't get into fine detail watching every play like they do with the NFL. They cover power 5 and then try to do some generic watches of people from the other FBS schools but yea, it would require a larger division than they can put out there to essentially game tape every team in the FBS and every player.
OCD can be a bitch. But...here's a great example of why it's a blessing.

It's funny how you'll run into someone who knows "that guy." If you put them all together, like a puzzle per se.

Back on this topic, sort of...

As you know I'm a statistical guy. I don't like it when I see sites, putting out stats, that they can't have a chance of knowing.

Sounds like he may end up claiming that right tackle spot
I've always wondered, having never played myself, is OT a position difficult for players to adjust to when moving from Left to Right, or vice versa?If I were to guess, at the elite level, it would be. You've trained so long to absorb impact from one side of your body, and now you're suddenly asked to reverse it. Guards seem easier to switch. Just curious ...

I think this could be one of the best o lines we have had at Bama as long as they gel and grow comfortable with one another. Communication is the key, and knowing your assignment. We have an excellent pair of returning guards with a good amount of experience. We have two tackles that have elite talent that just need to improve in certain areas along with their understanding of the offense. And we have an elite center who is smart, talented and experienced, but he needs to be physical and smart to handle the SEC. If this line comes together and becomes a single unit then there is no stopping this offense.

I've always wondered, having never played myself, is OT a position difficult for players to adjust to when moving from Left to Right, or vice versa?If I were to guess, at the elite level, it would be. You've trained so long to absorb impact from one side of your body, and now you're suddenly asked to reverse it. Guards seem easier to switch. Just curious ...
Pivot foot.

I think this could be one of the best o lines we have had at Bama as long as they gel and grow comfortable with one another. Communication is the key, and knowing your assignment. We have an excellent pair of returning guards with a good amount of experience. We have two tackles that have elite talent that just need to improve in certain areas along with their understanding of the offense. And we have an elite center who is smart, talented and experienced, but he needs to be physical and smart to handle the SEC. If this line comes together and becomes a single unit then there is no stopping this offense.
Great post.

@UAgrad93 this is one of the things that has me intrigued. In a sense, the offensive line is a repeat of 'Bucket step Bob." From what I've seen is is intended direction; versus "WTF."

It's in the archive here. When Kiffin come on board I said "1000 yard QB, WR, and RB."

I"m about willing to say that is four this fall.

Great post.

@UAgrad93 this is one of the things that has me intrigued. In a sense, the offensive line is a repeat of 'Bucket step Bob." From what I've seen is is intended direction; versus "WTF."

It's in the archive here. When Kiffin come on board I said "1000 yard QB, WR, and RB."

I"m about willing to say that is four this fall.
Please don’t mention “Bucket step”!! I get PTSD just reading it!😂😂
This offense will be fun to watch!!

Returning every OL except the C is like returning everyone on offense except the QB. Not feeling like we have the #1 OL since our likely starter missed so much of the Spring.
You mean the guy who was the starting center on the line that won the Joe Moore Award for best o-line in the country? The guy that came with the new head coach and already knows the offense?

Back
Top Bottom